System for visitors at security estate

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
doo_much

System for visitors at security estate

Post by doo_much »

So, yes - this is a question for all the peeps that live in those elegant jails err..., estates.

What are the arrangements at your estate for arranging access for your visitors?

I know both Mami and BPT have GSM based intercom systems they are limited in the amount of users/numbers one can load. (in Mami's case 400)

And they're (un)reasonably expensive and fugly. And don't make 'pre-bookings' for visitors possible.

Please - no 'pie in the sky' (we'll get to that later) - just what is currently in use.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Re: System for visitors at security estate

Post by SykomantiS »

Don't live in an estate, but what I can tell you,
Pebble Rock (kameeldrift, I think), you sign in at the gate, and whomever you went to visit has to sign a slip you are given for you to get out again, not sure if they call ahead, I think they might.

Then the other place I noticed that was interesting was The Wilds, I think it was. They stop you at the gate, call the people who you said you are visiting (no one home or they don't recognise you, and no entry), then generate a security slip with a barcode and pin. you then have to enter this pin to open the boom. That place is a bunch of security complexes/estates within a security estate. So you then get to repeat this process (the don't generate a new slip for you, but you still have to enter the pin to open the second gate). Now if I remember correctly, you also have to present said slip on your way out. What they use for communication, I can't tell you.

The places near where I live are much less complicated, just a booklet to sign and the usual id number/car registration and cell number ~ cheap :lol:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Thanks Syko.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

The most advanced one I know if is one in pretoria, can't remember the name, but it's down the road from Woddlands mall. The host sends and an sms, and receives a unique code. They then send the code to the visitor, who can use it once ina a 12 hour period to enter at the gate.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

It'd be really neat if you could get the name of that one GW - that's one of the functions we were thinking of and I have no wish to re-invent the wheel.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Meyersdal Eco Estate is more like the one Sicko mentioned. You get there, have to give your name, they take your finger print, a blood sample and a strand of hair for DNA testing (those last two are possibly exaggerations) and then phone the host to check if you are expected.

Aspen Hills Estate (just off Kliprivier Drive) is like GreyWolf's one. Your host sends you a code which you must enter when arriving and leaving. I think you can use their code three times (or possibly four) in a twenty-four hour period.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Thx uberRat. First sounds like Sagem's Evim system - well the fingerprint part anyway.

Will delve into the roots of Aspen Hills.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:Will delve into the roots of Aspen Hills.
There are two families in the church who stay there, if I can ask them anything to help your delving.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Will be appreciated thanks - have already shot off an e-mail to an address on their website, but am really more interested in the 'client' experience. Vendors will promise you anything if they smell a sale.

*edit

Will you please ask then what the system is called, who installed it and if they are happy with how it works?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

The place is Mooikloof Ridge.

Its likea c omplex of complexes. The security code gets you in the main gate and into the specific sub-area as well.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:Will be appreciated thanks - have already shot off an e-mail to an address on their website, but am really more interested in the 'client' experience. Vendors will promise you anything if they smell a sale.

*edit

Will you please ask then what the system is called, who installed it and if they are happy with how it works?
I have sent an email to both husbands. Will let you know what transpires. From a visitor's perspective, for your interest, I find it pretty nifty. It's a far more pleasant experience, at least in terms of gaining access, to visit those families than it is to visit the families who stay in the Meyersdal Eco Estates.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

GreyWolf wrote:The place is Mooikloof Ridge.

Its likea c omplex of complexes. The security code gets you in the main gate and into the specific sub-area as well.
Stuart wrote: I have sent an email to both husbands. Will let you know what transpires. From a visitor's perspective, for your interest, I find it pretty nifty. It's a far more pleasant experience, at least in terms of gaining access, to visit those families than it is to visit the families who stay in the Meyersdal Eco Estates.
My thanks to you both.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Initial response:
The current access system used is: https://www.clickoncomms.com/

To the best of my knowledge, the system works well and I personally do not have a problem with it.

I will try to have a chat with the Estate manger.
Second guy added:
System works well the estate manager is Lionel , they have also recently fitted motion sensor cameras
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:Initial response:
The current access system used is: https://www.clickoncomms.com/
Thanks - that is the same system that Mooikloof Ridge (See GW's post) is using.
Had a garner at their website and it looks like a Mami system on steriods. VERY nice.

Mail requesting pricing is being composed. :thumbup:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey