How can I use Vodacom modem to access CellC databundle?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
raycomp

How can I use Vodacom modem to access CellC databundle?

Post by raycomp »

Hope somebody in this forum cam help.

I've got a contract with Vodacom using their modem and software to access internet but with an expensive data bundle. As you know CellC is offering excellent bundles at the moment and I am wondering if I can use the Vodacom equipment (modem) to use both bundles. (switching between the two)

I'm a newbie and need some step by step advise on what I need and how to achieve this please.
doo_much

Re: How can I use Vodacom modem to access CellC databundle?

Post by doo_much »

Which modem do you have?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
raycomp

Post by raycomp »

Vodacom usb modem. The one they give when you take out data contract. Vodafone mobile connect model K3520.-Z
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Huawei then.

You can do one of two things.

Download and use MW connect instead of your standard Vodacom frontend or flash the firmware on the device with Huawei's own firmware, which is not network locked.

I haven't tried the first and with the second you run the risk of buggering the device.

So if I were you I'd try MW connect and if that doesn't work come back and we'll see if we can find different firmware for you?

Always assuming no-one else has a better idea, of course! :lol:

*edit

There's also 'unlocking' software available but afaik you need to pay for it. :?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

If the drivers are already installed you should be able to swap sims when you feel like it. I do it all the time between cell c and voda, although I've got the cell c modem and software. But the software is unnecessary. If you have the driver you're fine.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Prometheus, have a look at this. That ain't free.

As for selling network locked equipment being illegal - can you provide a source for that please? I might have a pending court case against CellShack/Vodacom! :lol:

And finally, whether changing the firmware wuill unlock the phone depends on which formware you use. ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

As far as I know it is illegal for any operator to lock their phones. It might not have been when you bought yours ;)
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Yes Blade, the interwebs are full of people telling me it is illegal, but no-one can give me a reference. One can interpret the CPA as making it illegal but that part only becomes effective 1 April?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

-Prometheus- wrote:I know many say it is illegal but I couldn't find a reference for it yesterday so I have changed my opinion on it. It looks like another of those things Icasa started but never completed. Even the MNP regulations say something about unlocking but doesn't prevent locking in the first place and some people said that made it illegal.

So you change your mind because there is no written prove on the matter. Convenient ?
Regulations are vague much like broadcasting act, which only allow your own personal interpretation and makes any one other users input null and void, because you said so, and the grapevine never lies.

Yip that sounds about right.
mybroadbutt
Funny name that, is it because you were banned from myBB...mhmmh?

Cellphone network locking is illegal, modems on the other hand is so far still fair game, there is some speculation that even Telkom have started locking their modems on do broadband packages.

The amazing thing however is, if it is illegal why is no one in jail or been fined for doing it ?
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

-Prometheus- wrote:^^Unlike some people here I do not simply accept whatever common word is. If you recall I never did get that other reference. ;)
So what you do then is make a bold claim..."Dammit it is illegal, wait let google prove me right" and then "Oops, google can't back my claim, sorry I have to jump fence on my most insisted claim that modem locking is illegal, take no notice of it, I will wave my magic hand and hope it goes away, if that doesn't work, I will twist people's words and use bold letters to show my annoyance, finally I will delete my post hoping no one quoted me."

Just more or less how I see it, if you make claims or relay information you heard over the grapevine, or use google to back up claims, use google before not after posting, just a friendly word of advice....

So if "common word" is backed up by 100 different various interpreted wiki type websites you require personally scanned legal documents signed by Zuma him self, before trusting the validity of said "common word" even if that common word just happened to come from some one like....say rustypup....?

^^Unlike some people here I do not simply accept whatever you say. :wink:
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

-Prometheus- wrote:Whatever man. At least I can admit when I am wrong.
Me too, when the mood suits me, man ! :wink:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Necro time.

'Cause Tribble asked - here's something that works.

I'm using my Vodafone branded Huawei modem with an 8ta sim card. All I do is instead of running the Vodacom software on my PC I use MDMA.

Download at http://www.nerve.org.za/mdma/

Works really well.

But then - cause if it itches I use a wire brush - I got irritated with the Vodacom Lite software still loadding randomly. And I do not want.

Answer? Flash the firmware! :D

Downloaded firmware strainght from http://www.huaweidevice.com/ and the whole thing ran nicely. Or so I thought. The moment the firmware update finished, up pops Vodacom Lite's Installation screen.

Curious, I have look on the stick and Explorer still sees it as a CD Drive with VMC Lite V1.xxx.

WTF? How the heck do I eradicate Vodacom from the thing?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

doo_much wrote:Curious, I have look on the stick and Explorer still sees it as a CD Drive with VMC Lite V1.xxx.

WTF? How the heck do I eradicate Vodacom from the thing?
It might get a bit fiddly. If you plug the device in drivers get loaded form the "CD Drive" so you can't outright remove the "CD Drive" from the device. What you need is a firmware with the generic Hauwei stuff on "CD Drive" but unfortunately some models are released only for certain carriers, this would explain why flashing the firmware form Hauwei would include Vodacom's bloatware.

If you could find a way to modify the firmware before flashing it to the device it might work......
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

No Hman - it doesn't make sense.

The firmware I downloaded from Huawei is supposed to be the generic stuff supplied with the device, whether sold to MTN CellC of Vcom.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

link to the file please
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Solved.

Flashed with 'Dashboard Software'/PC Client

I now be Vodacom FREE! :mrgreen:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

If Poynting doesn't come right - I will flash my uncle's mode. Spent most of the day on Saturday trying to sort him out. Even the guys in Fourways mall were useless. So I gave up.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You took it to Poynting? :shock:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Nope - there is this antennae on the roof - they say they can come and turn the aerial so that it picks up the signal. No way I was climbing on the roof lol
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Yep, you said about the antennae - send one of the kids up. D fore preference, she seems to be the most adventurous! :lol:

Pity I'm not coming that way this week. :?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey