All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

Post by Stuart »

Apple may be forced to recall their brand new iPad after thousands of users have complained they cannot use their tablet computers to connect to the internet.

This has rendered many of the features of the £326 device useless.

Hundreds have posted comments on Apple's website saying they cannot get a wi-fi signal and that they are having problems re-charging the battery and uploading applications.

Others complained that their devices were overheating and the screen was showing a message that read: 'iPad needs to cool down before you can use it'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z0kPsJp8Rq
I'm sure they'll sort it out without having to recall, but it's still a bit of a lol.
Last edited by Stuart on 22 Apr 2010, 12:46, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: This thread is becoming more generalised. Changed title accordingly.
rustypup

Re: Fears of Recall as iPad is Hit by iGremlins

Post by rustypup »

iTards will continue to buy it, though... which is also sort of amusing... in its own, special, way...
'the laptop killer'
:lol: marketing victims...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Prime

Post by Prime »

WOW! iluls. ipec fail. :lol:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Another wonderful example of great reporting. It was found to be a problem with dual band routers last I heard and not the iPad... There will be no recall. All my friends and colleagues in States and the rests of read and heard on podcasts have had no issues.

I love how people are so critical of Apple's products without having even used the things for themselves. Having such hate for something many others enjoy using can't be healthy. Rather move on and use whatever toys make you happy instead of focusing all your energy on negativity...
Prime

Post by Prime »

ryanrich wrote:Another wonderful example of great reporting. It was found to be a problem with dual band routers last I heard and not the iPad... There will be no recall. All my friends and colleagues in States and the rests of read and heard on podcasts have had no issues.

I love how people are so critical of Apple's products without having even used the things for themselves. Having such hate for something many others enjoy using can't be healthy. Rather move on and use whatever toys make you happy instead of focusing all your energy on negativity...
Oi! I own 2 iPods and have used plenty of mac products :|
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:I love how people are so critical of Apple's products without having even used the things for themselves. Having such hate for something many others enjoy using can't be healthy. Rather move on and use whatever toys make you happy instead of focusing all your energy on negativity...
Spoken like a true iSlave defending something just because of its brand. Its a pointless piece of kit:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/06 ... _the_ipad/
Last edited by GreyWolf on 08 Apr 2010, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Blah blah blah... All I have is an iPhone, and for good reasons. Do you not own an iPod?

I've been slating the iPad since it was announced but decided to reserve judgement until I actually hold and use one for myself...

I know Prime, I'm just saying I've read a few articles now that are clearly written from an anti Apple perspective. One of the best non biased iPad reviews I've read so far was by Paul Thurrott. I'll post the link in a sec...

Apple iPad Review
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

GreyWolf wrote:Its a pointless piece of kit
In your non biased most valued opinion.

How is it pointless, and this is only one example: For someone who travels a lot, and wants a small portable device that they can watch movies on, read books and magazines, play games or use any other of the thousands of apps, browse and check email, and have it all packed into an ultra portable device that lasts 10 hours on a charge...

I personally think there are still too many areas it falls short in, for me anyway. As with most Apple products, I'll wait for the 2nd gen which will have them all ironed out... :lol:

For the most part, and without having held one myself yet, I agree with Paul's review.
Prime

Post by Prime »

ryanrich wrote:Blah blah blah... All I have is an iPhone, and for good reasons. Do you not own an iPod?

I've been slating the iPad since it was announced but decided to reserve judgement until I actually hold and use one for myself...

I know Prime, I'm just saying I've read a few articles now that are clearly written from an anti Apple perspective. One of the best non biased iPad reviews I've read so far was by Paul Thurrott. I'll post the link in a sec...

Apple iPad Review
Nice review. but as he said, it doesn't fill any need in the market. And worse, unlike a laptop, with you have no screen protection, just a giant target. one drop, one bash by the airport staff and bye bye interface. Its a fashion accessory, like Paris Hilton's Chihuahua. :?

We should get Apple to design a hybrid or electric Car. It would be way over priced, but everyone else would be forced to build an affordable version and everybody would want one :lol:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah, I know what he's saying though, because I also want such a device. I want exactly what the iPad does, just better... Oh well, let's see how the HP slate turns out, although I don't think battery life is going to be fantastic, and it looks a little thick. Perhaps one of the upcoming Android tablets...
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:.. an ultra portable device..
Well there's your problem right there. Lets face it you not gonna carry it around in your pocket, so why not just get a small notebook/large netbook. More features for around the same price / portability.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Netbooks are too slow and the battery doesn't last very long at all, unless you upgrade to a 6 or 9 cell battery, but then there goes your portability. I have one of the smaller netbooks and it's slow and clunky. I find my iPhone fine for most cases, but when travelling by plane I'd like a bigger screen for movies etc...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

You see my problem with this whole Apple blame the router/other hardware is that before the iPad everything worked fine on everyones router, iPad comes and now the router is a faulty piece of equipment :?. So my router which works with every other wireless device out there is broken because Apple and its hardware says so? I'm sorry but that is a lame cop out, I reckon we will see a firmware update that will fix the problem magically and Apple will still maintain the router was at fault :roll:. Cherry on the cake it overheats, so 2 questions:

1: Where did Apple build and test this pad? Must have been in an aircon room with no sunlight ever.

2: Since it overheats in the sunlight how the frig are you meant to use it as a everyday device?

So much for QC checks...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

They didn't say the routers were at fault, they said it's because of dual band routers configured with two different network names and advised a solution to get past that. Yes it was an oversight on the way the iPad handles the connection, and it will no doubt be fixed with a firmware update.

This overheating thing is also very isolated. There were mentions of overheating with the 3GS as well, but I've never had an issue with mine or know of anybody who has, and my case is always on during charging and what have you...
naughty

Post by naughty »

I'll wait for the 2nd gen which will have them all ironed out... :lol:
second gen is in a month or two - its the 3G version which includes the GPS
More features for around the same price / portability
a netbook is going to be much much less - right now if you want an ipad i can get you one - its going to set you back around R9k for a grey unit - no idea when the official units will be arriving and at what price but they will need to be at around the R4k mark before i would want one cos this thing does a lot that a netbook cannot do (which is good) but it also doesnt do a shedload of things that a netbook can do and in my humble opinion it is too restricted for our usage here in SA because it depends almost entirely on the internet for its usage - everything is a download or needs to be synced via itunes - this is definitely not ideal
I find my iPhone fine for most cases, but when travelling by plane I'd like a bigger screen for movies etc...
sure it does seem to have a brilliant battery life but if you have lots of stuff and you want to transfer it over - as ive said theres no USB so no transfers of files from flash drives or portable hard drives - no additional storage above the 32gb thats onboard the thing and as ive said it mainly does file transfers via downloading (which is not ideal in SA unless you can afford that) or by syncing from itunes which means you are stuck with the wi-fi which ive seen for myself is a huge schlep cos i was at an ISP while looking at this thing and the wi-fi was problematic even at their premises and they are using topnotch stuff for their connectivity (or so i would assume since they provide the internet to loads of people)
it doesn't fill any need in the market.
i wouldnt exactly say that - having looked at what it does i would buy one if it was R4k - if the official pricing of the units that arrive to the apple store here are around R4k or R5k max then i would buy one just for the speed of the interface and the thing is that whatever it does its a very cool device - im not an apple fanboy by any means but i still loved some of the stuff it does - id have just liked it a lot more if it had some means of USB connectivity for free file transfers that did not mean syncing stuff from itunes or did not need internet connectivity - this thing has almost no legacy connectivity - you can add bluetooth keyboards but at being twice the price (for now as a grey unit) of the best netbooks you can get it is a bit restricted and limited IMHO - but when you look beyond that it is a helluva nice toy and its a toy thats a joy to use and the usual interface irritations of other devices just dont exist - if telkom plays ball with cheap proper uncapped ADSL (totally unrestricted where you can freely download content cheaply like in the states) then it becomes a great little device to own and i would definitely want one
And worse, unlike a laptop, with you have no screen protection, just a giant target. one drop, one bash by the airport staff and bye bye interface
cmon dude - whatever apple is they did not get where they are by being totally stupid - you get some cute and strong little covers for these things made out of rubber which houses them perfectly and doesnt increase the size a helluva lot - this cover also has an interesting way of allowing a tilted method of making it stand so it can tilt toward you on your lap and if you turn it around another way it can function as one of those photoframes - the cover is also very light and immensely strong so that isnt a valid complaint at all - they do need to address the "heating in the sun issue" and the compatibility with certain wi-fi routers before it becomes close to perfect as apple would envisage it but at that point it would be a helluva cool device to own especially if the official units are half the price of the current grey ones

when you look at it without a bias and if you are prepared for its inevitable issues - having one of these plus a netbook in an ideal world would ensure you never ever board a plane for long distance journeys with having to rely on the planes on board entertainment - this thing obviously isnt geared to do work its purely a leisure unit but IMHO whatever it does it does do it brilliantly - and music and movies as well your social based internet funtionality ie facebook and twiiter are really brilliant on these things - the internet stuff is far more convenient on this than on your phone and IMHO it will bring things back to a level where you dont need multitasking and loads of functionality on your phone - you will just need a phone with a decent camera and the rest can be taken care of with this device (when they sort out its issues) and moreso when that 3G version is released

i can imagine me doing something like this if i could find a way to interface it to an audison bit one like these guys did (remember an audison bit one will take an analog signal and convert it to digital then process it with DSP and reconvert back to analog with 24 bit DAC's and you will have brilliant sound quality) so it will work very well instead of using those big double din car headunits with loads of extra touch screen functionality - just wish there was a way to connect it to a 1,5TB portable HDD so i can carry all of my media with

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/ipad ... nt-carpoo/

EDIT : forgot to add that the Slate and some of those upcoming android devices may also be cool but they have their work cut out to be as good a toy as this thing is - trust me whatever this thing does well it actually does so brilliantly you will wish that everything else was half as good at that stuff which most other things wont have the capability to be ..... honest - and as i have said im no apple fanboy ..... just a fan of interesting and good technology and honestly this is a toy i dont mind having no matter how senseless it seems to others - it just seems to point the way toward how everything else needs to improve before it can be considered good
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Nooit dude, the top of the range 3G model is even under R9K.

Local pricing on grey imports:

Have 2 Have

R5300 for the base model, 16GB WiFi. I'll hold out for the 3G, or possibly the 2nd gen model next year...

To be honest, in SA I would rather go grey import, because the support and pricing from the local distributor (Core) is terrible...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Truly, the douchebaggery of both the iHaters and Macsturbators knows no bounds.

I personally would not buy the iPad for the same reason I will not own any product made by Siemens
naughty

Post by naughty »

ryanrich wrote:Nooit dude, the top of the range 3G model is even under R9K.

Local pricing on grey imports:

Have 2 Have

R5300 for the base model, 16GB WiFi. I'll hold out for the 3G, or possibly the 2nd gen model next year...

To be honest, in SA I would rather go grey import, because the support and pricing from the local distributor (Core) is terrible...
do those guys even have stock :P

the people i can get it from have a few you can really touch and its not vapourware - either way - its still not at the price i would like to pay for what it is
I personally would not buy the iPad for the same reason I will not own any product made by Siemens
what is it about siemens that bothers you ??? - just asking cos im sure i missed something somewhere along the line :?
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

naughty wrote: what is it about siemens that bothers you ??? - just asking cos im sure i missed something somewhere along the line :?
You missed the time at which the post was made...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
naughty

Post by naughty »

anyways

We've heard that the iPad will change your life, but will it change the way you blend?

ROFLMAO
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

CNN wrote:Israeli customs blocks entry of iPads

A number of Israelis and tourists entering the country at Ben Gurion Airport have had their new Apple iPads seized by customs officials.

Israeli authorities say the devices' Wi-Fi standard does not match Israel's standard, which is also used in Europe.

Yechiel Shavi, spokesman for the Ministry of Communication, told CNN that the ban only applies to those iPads built for the American standard but would not apply to devices that match the European specifications.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

They have a problem with American iPads, but they are more than happy to let in and use US-issue F-16's and Nukes...
Pull the cucumber out, Israel!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

iSuck.... :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: All things iPad (and, more generally Apple)

Post by Stuart »

Changing title, since this is increasingly becoming more general than the original article.