All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Re: All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

Post by GDI_Lord »

hamin_aus wrote:Win8 does boot marginally faster than Win7.
My boot times on my machine at home went down from about 2min 30sec+ (I think it was 33sec) with WIn7 down to about 45-odd sec with Win8, with the same SQL Server and VS [strike]long booting long loading baggage[/strike] [strike]developer carp[/strike] services installed.

"Big deal. Faster boot times. Who cares?" That particular aspect suits my use-case at home just great. I need a quick boot up time as I want to press the button, sit down and start faffing around on the computer. At other times, like my work machine, the speed up from Win7 to Win8 is totally negated by all the AD and network and policy stuff, so on my weekly-or-even-less reboots I go make a cup of coffee, who cares?
Everything else in your post is hearsay or bias opinion.
Does this help persuade you that it isn't just my "bias opinion?"
https://superuser.com/questions/402698/ ... -windows-7
I was strongly considering ponying up and buying a solution that would've helped me keep frustration levels low with Windows 7. That frustration is gone with Windows 8.
Also, posting that link allows me to throw some epeen about having 24GB of RAM in my computer, not server ;- )

Ultimately, if Win7 is serving you fine and there are no pain points that are big enough to you that you want to change, that's cool. Operatings systems are just tools. Wonderful, intricate, amazing, black-boxes-that-one-can-bend-to-your-will-and-do-amazing-things-things-that-are-so-amazing-they-dwarf-the-bandwidth-of-a-station-wagon-full-of-tapes-hurtling-down-the-highway tools that can make your inner OS geek smile.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,