CellPhone Q&A

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: CellPhone Q&A

Post by Tribble »

-Prometheus- wrote:
-Prometheus- wrote:Anybody have the vodacom blackberry proxy and port number?
Anybody???
PM RustyPup - he has a blackberry
dale99

Post by dale99 »

Hey guys,

I can upgrade on the 26th, looking at either the Nokia e75 @ R319pm or the Blackberry Curve @ R369pm. All browsing/emailing etc. is fixed at R60pm included in the R369 for the Blackberry. Both are on MTN Anytime 200, leaning towards the latter... Any thoughts?
Animal

Post by Animal »

dale99 wrote:Hey guys,

I can upgrade on the 26th, looking at either the Nokia e75 @ R319pm or the Blackberry Curve @ R369pm. All browsing/emailing etc. is fixed at R60pm included in the R369 for the Blackberry. Both are on MTN Anytime 200, leaning towards the latter... Any thoughts?
Blackberry +1
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Animal wrote:
dale99 wrote:Hey guys,

Blackberry +1
As long as it is not a BlackBerry Storm. The Storm is an irritation at best.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Prime

Post by Prime »

Monty wrote:Nokia 5800 Tube or the Nokia N97 (aka N-god) (both are touchphones)

N97 is insane. Its beautiful, sexy... drool

Most symbian based nokia phones kick the iphone's but
any idea what the cost of either is?
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Prime wrote:

A kidney and a leg
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Animal

Post by Animal »

Monty wrote:
Prime wrote:

A kidney and a leg
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/13258406 ... n_S_A.html
Prime

Post by Prime »

:shock:

*is speechless*
Animal

Post by Animal »

SBSP

Post by SBSP »

I'm Having a problem!

1.Have a CellC contract
2.I also have a Vodacom Contract.

The CellC contract expired this morning and the number is now a prepaid number.
The Vodacom Contract is now 9 months old.

I want to port my cellc number to my vodacom number ?
Or can you only port it to a new vodacom contract, I tried to phone Vodacom but i held on toooooo long.
How do i do that ?
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

SBSP, Go to any cellphone shop and tell them you want to port your number.
to ápeiro anima
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Yes but from what i understand you can only port your number to a new contract.

But i will try that anyways.

Thanks
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

SBSP, Oh you want to port your Cell C number to your existing Vodacom Contract?

Don't think that's possible as the billing is setup and done to a pre-specified number.

Check it out though, and let us know :)
to ápeiro anima
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: For some reason I find this funny...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09 ... _heat.html
White iPhone 3GS units discoloring from excessive heat

Some owners of Apple's latest iPhone have been dealt a rude surprise just days after launch as models with white backs have been changing colors after frequent use.

Multiple tipsters, French site Nowhere Else, MacNN, and AppleInsider itself have all reported first-hand accounts of the back of white iPhone 3GS models turning brown or pink in certain areas that are usually towards the edges.

When the problem manifests itself can vary but usually follows sometime after particularly intensive activity that generates significant heat, such as using 3G data extensively, playing games or navigating with GPS. It's also suspected that engaging in regular tasks for a long time, such as playing music or browsing the web on Wi-Fi, can also trigger the symptoms.

Speculation exists that the issue centers on the battery: Rapid Repair's Aaron Vronko, as well as those affected by the issue directly, claim the color shifts occur around the outline of the battery pack and that it's likely due to flawed battery cells that react badly to the added stress.

iPhone 3G models in the same color aren't affected by the same problem, nor do black iPhone 3GS models appear to suffer the issue at this stage -- though these last owners aren't completely exempt from the root causes. A number of reports have surfaced that some phones are getting particularly hot under certain circumstances, such as using the handset while it's connected to a power source.

Apple so far hasn't commented on the issue and has taken to closing a large discussion thread on its forum centering on the subject. However, some have had success obtaining replacements.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/14486/70/
iPhone 3G S and 3G could face summer overheating

Temperature warning prompt will be triggered

An interesting prompt that most iPhone users are unaware of is the temperature warning that triggers under excessively hot or cold environment conditions. Recently, there have been reports circulating of an iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S overheating issue to the point where a few white iPhone 3G S models have turned pink.

On June 25th, Apple published a “common sense” warning regarding the need for keeping both iPhone models within safe an acceptable operating temperatures. The guide explains that using the iPhone in temperatures over 95 degrees Fahrenheit - that's 35°C in the rest of the world - will trigger a Temperature Warning prompt, shown below.

For those iPhone enthusiasts who think they have mastered every menu and prompt that OS 3.0 has to offer, think again. Apple claims that if the phone falls under -4°F/-20°C or exceeds 113°F/45°C, the display will begin to dim, it will fail to charge, and it will receive a weak cellular signal. Apple also warns that exposure to direct sunlight during CPU or GPU intensive applications that warm up the device may overheat it as well.

Although the Temperature Warning menu allows users to make emergency calls if needed (although with a weak signal), it is not mentioned how much time the device will need to recover to a fully operational state.
So owning one of these handsets in a hot country is a not on by the look of things. And who wants a white phone? The thing is going to discolour in the sun anyway, take a look at old PC's and monitors...

http://www.dailytech.com/Like+a+Vampire ... e15587.htm
Apple finally responds to reports about its heat issues

Apple has been having plenty of headaches lately with its MacBook Pro displays failing and experiencing distortion. Worse yet is the iPhone 3G S's quality problems, which include reported overheating and signal issues.

The overheating was first noted in Apple support forums. Soon, though, writers at several tech publications -- PC World, Wired, Le Journal Du Geek and The Telegraph -- began to notice the problems on their own phones. The Le Journal Du Geek writer posted pictures of a white phone and noticed that the overheating was so severe that it colorized the plastic. The heat tended to turn the case pink or brown.

Now, Apple has at last issued a response and it is assigning the blame for the problem on its users' behavior, sunlight, and on the seasons. Apple says that leaving the device in a car on a hot day is one possible culprit causing its phone to overheat. Apparently, like a vampire the phone is no friend of the sun -- Apple states that "leaving it in direct sunlight for extended amounts of time" may cause it to overheat.

Apple lists the use of "GPS tracking in a car on a sunny day or listening to music while in direct sunlight" as two particularly dangerous operations.

According to Apple the following problems are the result of the iPhone's overheating:
The device stops charging
Display dims
Weak cellular signal
Temperature warning screen appears with the message "iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it" (see image below)

Apple says that the iPhone is only meant to operate at temperatures between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F) and be stored at temperatures between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Unfortunately, this is much lower than the temperatures experienced in much of the American South and Southwest.

Based on Apple's stance it seems there's no immediate solution for iPhone owners. Apple seems unwilling to agree that its hardware needs revision to deal with the problem, instead assigning the blame elsewhere -- the sun, heat, and summer weather. And that means as summer temperatures heat up, users are left to prepare for the worst -- their phones beginning to fail.
Who has had any other make or phone overheat and die whilst listening to music or using the GPS?

What does Apples ads say about reliability and quality? :roll:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

There is no other phone that has the CPU power of a 3Gs.
"A phone must phone not make coffe and all that" people only say that cus they dont have a fancy phone or know how to use it.

I have a Nokia E60 with all kinds of features like Wifi and built in VOIP client.

But once you switch on the wifi, the phone cant phone and resets the phone.
Same with other applications on the phone like PDF and all that. And its not a problem with my phone its nokia
phones that cant handle the tasks and bad os symbian.

The features are there but is 100% useless.
Some even come with a GPS which is also unusable.

Atleast the Iphone features all work well, the fact that it has a heat problem is the same as the Xbox360 problem a while back
it can be sorted out. IMO apple has release the 3Gs too quick.
That doesnt mean its not reliable or its not quality

Nokia on the other hand their phones suck bigtime.
Samsung and HTC is probably okayish cant coment i only had a d500 which was a good phone.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

UrBaN wrote:SBSP, Oh you want to port your Cell C number to your existing Vodacom Contract?

Don't think that's possible as the billing is setup and done to a pre-specified number.

Check it out though, and let us know :)
Cant be done :(

Is it possible to upload a wav or Mp3 to my voicemail ?
So if someone phones the voice mail tells them my number have changed ?
jphegers

Post by jphegers »

I am looking to buy a new phone and the one i am interested in is the Sony Ericsson C905 and i want to know if it has GPS navigation.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

SBSP wrote:I have a Nokia E60 with all kinds of features like Wifi and built in VOIP client.

But once you switch on the wifi, the phone cant phone and resets the phone.
Same with other applications on the phone like PDF and all that. And its not a problem with my phone its nokia
phones that cant handle the tasks and bad os symbian.

The features are there but is 100% useless.
Some even come with a GPS which is also unusable.

Atleast the Iphone features all work well, the fact that it has a heat problem is the same as the Xbox360 problem a while back
it can be sorted out. IMO apple has release the 3Gs too quick.
That doesnt mean its not reliable or its not quality
Update the firmware to the newest version.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

jphegers wrote:I am looking to buy a new phone and the one i am interested in is the Sony Ericsson C905 and i want to know if it has GPS navigation.
This contains all the information you need
jphegers

Post by jphegers »

Thanks a lot monty
jphegers

Post by jphegers »

jphegers wrote:I am looking to buy a new phone and the one i am interested in is the Sony Ericsson C905 and i want to know if it has GPS navigation.
Is there anyone who owns one that can give me the pros and cons about this phone.
Belix

Post by Belix »

Funny how folks have issue with diferent phones. I've never had a major issue with a Nokia. Got a rather ancient E61i now that has been abused but still works 100%.
Samsung on the other hand...

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Prime

Post by Prime »

Belix wrote:Funny how folks have issue with diferent phones. I've never had a major issue with a Nokia. Got a rather ancient E61i now that has been abused but still works 100%.
Samsung on the other hand...
try getting it serviced by nokia. :|

can anyone give me a list of htc phones available on mtn?

i'm considering a c905, or an experia, or one of the higher end samsungs or and htc. Won't touch nokia.
1gn1t0r

Post by 1gn1t0r »

What Prime said.
Last edited by Stuart on 28 Mar 2010, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Let's keep the discussion legal, shall we?