CellPhone Q&A

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
mrT

Post by mrT »

My first day without mxit and im starting to go craze....anyone know where I can find gprs settings for a Htc p3300? I did the star 123 hash thing but nothing happens...im so depressed haha
shiv

Nokia N82 black - when oh when????????

Post by shiv »

Anybody know when the Nokia N82 Black Edition will arrive in SA??
I want this phone!!!
It's so much better looking than the silver, and has geotagging support I think.
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

mrT wrote:My first day without mxit and im starting to go craze....anyone know where I can find gprs settings for a Htc p3300? I did the star 123 hash thing but nothing happens...im so depressed haha
dial 123, speak to a consultant, they'll send you the settings.
douglash

Post by douglash »

for HTC support - call 0861 44 LEAF - they will send you a CAB file with the settings...
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

guys thats from August last year :roll:
to ápeiro anima
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

right so I need some help in deciding...

I have the option to upgrade my handset at the end of July/August and I have a choice between 2 phones (dont want any other :P )

The first is:

HTC Touch Diamond

The second is:

Iphone 3G

Now both are coming out in the middle of July from what I can gather. So what would you guys choose?

After comparing I know where I am going HTC Diamond FTW! :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

The iPhone is huge, and HTC pwns anything anyway.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

This was the reason why I was doubting

Vodacom is taking pre-orders for the Iphone 3G...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Ike

Post by Ike »

The samsung f700 is worth a look... It's like a cross between the htc and the ipod.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_f700-1849.php

Just saying.. 8)
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Also the N82 is a nice phone (the black version looks uber hawt too)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

I dont really enjoy Samsung products however I will admit that it does looks sexy. A woman at work has one and it is nice but for some reason I dont want Samsung :(.

N82 is a serious contender however there is one slight fault with the package and not the phone. Apparently (please can someone correct me here) the maps program is only valid for 2 years after that you have to buy it whereas the 6110 Navigator (HTC/Leaf systems as well) the maps programs dont have such a restriction.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Anakha56 wrote:I dont really enjoy Samsung products however I will admit that it does looks sexy. A woman at work has one and it is nice but for some reason I dont want Samsung :(.

N82 is a serious contender however there is one slight fault with the package and not the phone. Apparently (please can someone correct me here) the maps program is only valid for 2 years after that you have to buy it whereas the 6110 Navigator (HTC/Leaf systems as well) the maps programs dont have such a restriction.
That is the case but that shouldn't really be a problem for you. There are a lot of third party mapping tools that are free and more or less on par with the nokia maps. Also you can use the nokia maps with out the license (the license is only for voice guided navigation)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

The thing is if I buy a product I dont want to buy it crippled ( like mass effect :evil: ) so I think I will give the N82 a pass but thank you for confirming my suspicion :wink:.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Anyone here have the LG KU990? We're thinking of getting it for my wife as an upgrade.

But I don't have any experience with the LG phones...

:D
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

does anyone know the realease date of the Iphone in SA ?

Our MD has one and i played a bit with it, Man what an awesome phone!!!

Its incredible, I really want one.

Apparently vodacom will launch them soon
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

AFAIK, vodacom launchs to corporates at the end of july, and consumers end of aug.... i stand to be corrected however.
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Lethoric

Re: CellPhone Q&A

Post by Lethoric »

Hi, here's a question i need help with? How do i send text messages to someone living in USA? A buddy of mine recently got a cellphone there, but the number is in this format: (111) 111 1111. Can anyone help me? How do I send an international SMS to a phone in USA, with the phone number like that...
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Lethoric wrote:Hi, here's a question i need help with? How do i send text messages to someone living in USA? A buddy of mine recently got a cellphone there, but the number is in this format: (111) 111 1111. Can anyone help me? How do I send an international SMS to a phone in USA, with the phone number like that...
General format for international numbers is:

Code: Select all

{ORIGIN_DIAL_OUT_CODE}{DESTINATION_DIAL_IN_CODE}{DESTINATION_AREA_CODE}{DESTINATION_SUBSCRIBER_NUMBER}
The "+" sign in front of the number always represents the international dial-out code of the country that you're in. (By the way, the international dial-out code for South Africa is 00, used to be 09 until fairly recently.) The international dial-in code for the USA is 1 (your Telkom phone book has a list of these). If there's an area code in the destination number, any leading zero must be removed.

So, you would dial the following:

Code: Select all

+1 {AREA_CODE} {SUBSCRIBER_NUMBER}
Just for interest's sake, the international dial-in code for South Africa is 27, so someone with the mobile number 082 123 4567 would have the number represented in international format as +27 82 123 4567. This example may make what I posted above make more sense to you. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Lethoric

Post by Lethoric »

Wow, thats really helpful Ron! Thanks! Just one question, might be really dumb, if i had to send a text message or phone to america I would have to first type in the dial out code, then the dial in code for usa, and then area code and then subscriber number, does it look like this then: +0011234567890?
Lethoric

Post by Lethoric »

Wow, thats really helpful Ron! Thanks! Just one question, might be really dumb, if i had to send a text message or phone to america I would have to first type in the dial out code, then the dial in code for usa, and then area code and then subscriber number, does it look like this then: +0011234567890?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

The "+" signifies the 00 - use one or the other. :wink:

Rather use the "+", because that will work if you ever go to another country and try to SMS your friend from there.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Lethoric

Post by Lethoric »

Oh, I get it now. Just tried it and it worked! Thanks again Ron!
Zana

Post by Zana »

I see MTN is being an bottom, I had been for years subscribed to there info message system to get the wweather on the screen on my phone, For weather is 040 or 40 (index for logo and signal is 050 or 50)
This gets displayed on the screen, In the past they gave the weather this is what they give now:
30 August 9 32. DIAL 0831230500 FOR UPDATES(VAS RATES APPLY) -END- ... what such a bunch of asses MTN are.. Forcing you to look up weather by WAP or subscribe for an sms to weather.. out of ultimate money lust and greed... I have said FTW with MTN and now on Vodacom, since I got a new phone on my birthday, with Vodacom, i heve a better signel, I get better WAP and so on so forth..
But what I am looking for is the weather info display/info message for the weather for Vodacom.

I have stopped buying airtime for MTN , and now using my Vodacom simcard.. I origianlly wanted to move my MTN sim card to my new phone, but guess what? MTN does not list my phone model on there site... even settup was ****, for gprs and mms, mms come through but all in code.. even if its pictures..
MTN 's website is falling to pieces to... FTW MTN i have moved over to Vodacom for good, and i get my two free sms's a week !! and a chance to enter in a competition for a million rand, where MTN offers bugger all.

But what I am looking for is the weather info display/info message for the weather for Vodacom, pls can someone provide me the code.

Love and hugs
Danielle
((^_^))
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

[quote=Zana]But what I am looking for is the weather info display/info message for the weather for Vodacom[/quote]

Stick your head out the window? :lol:

I haven't used it before, but go have a look at Vodacom4me
Free registration is required. EVERYTHING on Vodacom goes via these pages - your call balances as well.

Look under news & info - weather is there.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Zana

Post by Zana »

doo_much wrote:
Zana wrote:But what I am looking for is the weather info display/info message for the weather for Vodacom

Stick your head out the window? :lol:

I haven't used it before, but go have a look at Vodacom4me
Free registration is required. EVERYTHING on Vodacom goes via these pages - your call balances as well.

Look under news & info - weather is there.
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com