Server 2008 R2 routing

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
MuPp3t33r

Server 2008 R2 routing

Post by MuPp3t33r »

Hi guys

I'm having a difficult time trying to get this right, hopefully someone can assist me.

I have a computer with Server 2008 R2 that has a WiFi NIC and a LAN NIC.

The WiFi is connecting to a wireless router that has unrestricted internet access, and the LAN is connected to a wired router allowing a number of clients to connect.

I want for the clients on the LAN to be able to access the internet that is on the wireless.

The issue I am having is that the LAN clients just cannot get access to internet, i have tried using RIP and NAT, that did work initially but for some reason it did not survive a reboot of the server and then I could never get it working again.

I do have DHCP installed to provide IP addresses to the LAN clients, and I have DNS installed which is using Google's public DNS (8.8.8.8)

A little background info on my network setup:

Wireless router supplying internet has a gateway address of 192.168.1.1

WiFi NIC on server has a static IP 192.168.1.2

LAN NIC on server has static IP 192.168.0.10 and I have turned DHCP off on the router as i want the server to allocate IPs

If anyone could shed some light on how to set this up properly I would really appreciate it.
Oh and I'm using a workgroup setup, not domain

Thank you
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Server 2008 R2 routing

Post by hamin_aus »

I would also say if you have got NAT to work once keep trying to get it working again.
It sounds like RRAS and NAT are exactly what you need to do the job.

If NAT worked until a reboot - what changed after the reboot? More to the point, what on the server and/or router did you change in between getting NAT to work and doing a reboot?

If all else fails try setup ICS (unless you have an SBS server) it's not as good as NAT but it's better than nothing
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

MuPp3t33r forgot to reply here, but his issue has been solved.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
MuPp3t33r

Post by MuPp3t33r »

My apologies, I did forget to reply. Issue was resolved but through an alternate method.

As far as anything changing before and after rebooting, nothing changed at all.

But anyway I instead bridged the two adapters, but DHCP wouldn't give me the correct scope I wanted so I had to change the gateway address on my LAN router and adjust the DHCP scope. but it seems to be working now...
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stop apologising and start spamming the other threads...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey