Windows 8.1

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Windows 8.1

Post by hamin_aus »

www.technobuffalo.com wrote:Windows 8.1 Will Bring Back the Start Button… Start Menu Lost to the Ether

The Start button will return when Windows 8.1 hits later this year, according to sources familiar with Microsoft plans. Speaking to The Verge, sources claim the button’s return will allow users to access the Start Screen, though it won’t include the traditional Start Menu. “The button is said to look near-identical to the existing Windows flag used in the Charm Bar,” The Verge wrote.

The wider consumer response to Windows 8 hasn’t been overly positive, so the return of some familiar elements will certainly be welcome. A recently leaked build of the 8.1 update revealed there will be a boot to desktop option, showing greater focus on the traditional computing environment, and not so much on touch-only input.

When Microsoft axed the Start button back when Windows 8 hit, the company said it was a result of information from its Customer Experience Improvement Program. Well, customer feedback seems to dictate that its absence is missed much more than anticipated. A Preview is expected before the final 8.1 release is out, so we’ll have to see if indeed the Start button is back in full effect.
1 - boot to desktop option
2 - start button
3 - ??????
4 - Profit!

Windows 8.1 might be a viable upgrade path for me if they just do a bit more work on it. And by a bit more work I mean make it more like Windows 7 and less like a mobile device OS
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Windows 8.1

Post by StarBound »

So this means that they will charge another few $$$ for the upgrade from windows 8 to windows 8.1? Genius! Profit!
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Pretty sure "8.1" is a service pack which existing users will get for free
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

hamin_aus wrote:Pretty sure "8.1" is a service pack which existing users will get for free
Mindset is that of Windows 3.1 and windows 3.11 :P
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.