Windows 8 Release

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Cataclysm_ZA

Re: Windows 8 Release

Post by Cataclysm_ZA »

Stuart wrote:I must agree here. How long will it take MS to provide native DVD playback for their OS? Am I missing some sort of legal technicality here?
They previously had to pay licensing fees for including DVD playback in WMP since its inclusion in Windows XP. I believe it equated to around $10 per OS license sold. For a comparison, Windows 7 sold over 670,000,000 licenses since its release and each copy of the OS was covered by Microsoft for that DVD playback option. One of the reasons why the upgrades and retail editions are so cheap is because of a ton of cost-cutting that was done to get to that price point.

I support the move because in countries that have Hulu and Netflix, there's less of a dependancy on using the DVD standard for watching movies. Blu-Ray still has a case for high definition content, but viewing SD content on a DVD is becoming increasingly last-decade. The only reason why I use my DVD drive today was to install Windows 8 and run the copy protection off the games that I own physically. The rest of the time it sits idle and I don't even play DVD movies with it. If you're not using that service, why pay for it?

And besides, R299 for an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro? R529 RRP for Windows 8 Professional in a retail pack? Those are the kinds of prices we were asking for three years ago, even though Windows 7's performance and simplicity was reason enough to justify the price.
NAG Online Hardware Writer
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I guess that makes sense. *begrudgingly concedes point*

Although I'm not sure that the average Windows user (outside of first world countries) has embraced the move away from DVD yet. But then MS has always catered primarily for a US market.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Cataclysm_ZA wrote:I support the move
How surprising!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

When I move over to 8 sometime far into the future, I"ll just use Gom player. Still, not a great move by them.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

KALSTER wrote:When I move over to 8 sometime far into the future, I"ll just use Gom player.
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema x64 for me
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

rustypup wrote:
Cataclysm_ZA wrote:A lot of things are free on the Windows Store and all the elements you've expected to show up in the past are still built into the OS. In fact, more than 80% of the apps available there right now are free.
yaay.. i can now go and download something which used to be part of the OS!? that's fantastic!

not..

step one in creating your walled garden - strip everything out of the OS and shove it into an app store "for our convenience".. then lock down *everything*. then link it to that windows live crud, for our "convenience"...

complicated pictogram this "convenience" and complicated pictogram the corporate drones and concomitant mouth-breathing acolytes who support it..

the OS is fine sans the metro idiocy but that's no reason to applaud this behaviour...
Always for our "convenience" isn't it :roll: . Not too bothered that IE, media center and such are now optional downloads but I suspect many wont be too pleased that what was once included with the OS has now to be downloaded. I would like to ask why they have done this though, what is the point?

And right now I am sitting here perfectly happy with windows 7 laughing at everybody who has rushed out to buy windows 8 :P
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I'm skipping this one too.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
ADT

Post by ADT »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalrite windows 8 meh :|
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

D3PART3D wrote:I'm skipping this one too.
When they discontinue support for windows 7 then I might consider windows 8......

However even if it had a less annoying interface I would still not move because windows 7 works perfectly well for me
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:yaay.. i can now go and download something which used to be part of the OS!? that's fantastic!

not..
Are you complaining because you are not getting IE included with the OS? I have been away for a week, did I accidentally return to opposite world?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
rustypup wrote:yaay.. i can now go and download something which used to be part of the OS!? that's fantastic!

not..
Are you complaining because you are not getting IE included with the OS? I have been away for a week, did I accidentally return to opposite world?
No, you know how it works: People complain that MS forces IE upon them and doesn't give them a choice by making it optional, but then should they dare to make it optional, people complain that they now have to download stuff that should have been included in the first place. Those who are content with Windows 7 will always find something to fault Windows 8 for.

Of course, unless something has changed in the final release, this is all a moot point, because the pre-release that I have been using actually included IE.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I dont use IE except for the few things that I can't run on chrome or firefox. But I have no idea how to get either chrome or FF without first using IE to download those 2. European versions of windows comes without IE as far as I remember. But that's not the point I tried to convey with my comment.

I was asking that with the reduced price if you won't start having to pay for those minor things that use to be free like say Calculator, Paint, Picture Viewer, ect. Sure there are paid and other free programs that does the job 50 times better but if I want the basics and was use to it being part of windows then I don't want to fork out something extra.

Windows will always be windows when it comes to gaming. It's just a different shell and for the first time with the cloud being all the rage the problem of the always online is threatening the use of your pc.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Cataclysm_ZA

Post by Cataclysm_ZA »

StarBound wrote:But that's not the point I tried to convey with my comment.

I was asking that with the reduced price if you won't start having to pay for those minor things that use to be free like say Calculator, Paint, Picture Viewer, ect. Sure there are paid and other free programs that does the job 50 times better but if I want the basics and was use to it being part of windows then I don't want to fork out something extra.
Why on earth would Microsoft do that, though? Its not in their best interests to make people hate the software, especially if they start stripping out vital components. Nothing that general and power users need is missing - everything you've been using, from the calculator to the defrag tool is still there. You can still edit text files using the command line.

The only things missing from this edition is the free games (which you had to add in manually anyway in Windows 7 Pro/Ult) and the Windows Media Center with native DVD playback which costs $10 in the Windows Store.
NAG Online Hardware Writer
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Cataclysm_ZA wrote:Why on earth would Microsoft do that, though? Its not in their best interests to make people hate the software
dont people already hate the software?

Cataclysm_ZA wrote:The only things missing from this edition is the free games (which you had to add in manually anyway in Windows 7 Pro/Ult) and the Windows Media Center with native DVD playback which costs $10 in the Windows Store.
The free games were pathetic, dont think they will be missed much. But 10$ :lol: those were free with 7(well a decent edition of windows 7 was rather pricy so maybe not)

But are there not free DVD payback plugins available anyway?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

THE_STIG wrote:dont people already hate the software?
No, because unlike you and your polar opposite in this thread, operating systems seldom evoke extreme emotions like love and hate in us...

The general consensus in this thread is that Windows 8 is completely unnecessary for a desktop PC.
Only people buying a new PC and vapid sheep who have to have the latest <INSERT CONSUMER CRAP HERE> will run it on their PC's. What little advances that have been made since Windows 7 are barely perceptible.
Despite what sycophants will have you believe, the performance is not noticeably better, and the learning curve if you are used to 7 and previous versions is just not worth the effort of enduring for the as yet marginal gains.

Add to that the fact that I don't know of a single business who has any plans, even very long-term, of moving to this OS in its current incarnation means that unless some changes are bashed in via service packs down the line history will remember this as another failed OS in between winners.

All we want is it to boot straight into the desktop and have a start bar without the use of 3rd party mods.
We know the OS is fast and reliable, we just want the same functionality we used to have.
Until then - Microsoft can keep Windows 8.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

jamin_za wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:dont people already hate the software?
No, because unlike you and your polar opposite in this thread, operating systems seldom evoke extreme emotions like love and hate in us...

The general consensus in this thread is that Windows 8 is completely unnecessary for a desktop PC.
Only people buying a new PC and vapid sheep who have to have the latest <INSERT CONSUMER CRAP HERE> will run it on their PC's. What little advances that have been made since Windows 7 are barely perceptible.
Despite what sycophants will have you believe, the performance is not noticeably better, and the learning curve if you are used to 7 and previous versions is just not worth the effort of enduring for the as yet marginal gains.
Yep, maybe not hate but just dislike and would rather use something else.

And yes again, its both unnecessary and a useful tool for routing out sheep and the "i want the latest" sort
jamin_za wrote:All we want is it to boot straight into the desktop and have a start bar without the use of 3rd party mods. We know the OS is fast and reliable, we just want the same functionality we used to have.
Until then - Microsoft can keep Windows 8.
+1 definitely +1
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Well said jamin.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

A couple of observations from my side with Windows 8 and introducing it to my wife and my uncle. The wife is loving it, she says it is faster than Vista and the battery on her laptop seems to be lasting longer. She has also started navigating herself around the OS pretty quickly and knows how to do quite a bit already without any teaching from my end. My uncle this Sunday was also having fun with the new interface and found it easier to use than his Windows 7 and the OS's prior to 7. So far with my family Windows 8 seems to be well received and liked on. On my end things did not go so smoothly. First off the upgrade process identified a issue with my network card drivers and I had to uninstall them no problem there what it failed to tell me was the issues with Steam, Origin and just about all my games so I had to do a clean install to get it working again :/. Besides that problem I am actually enjoying Windows 8 <cue rustypup comment here :P> so I proudly accept the "Vapid Sheep" title :P. Still wont see me upgrading our company OS anytime soon...

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... windows-8/
Better on the inside: under the hood of Windows 8
Windows 8's UI is eye-catching, but there's improvement under the hood as well.

Windows 8's most obvious—and most divisive—new feature is its user interface. However, it would be a mistake to think that the user interface is the only thing that's new in Windows 8: there's a lot that's changed behind the scenes, too.

Just as is the case with the user interface, many of the improvements made to the Windows 8 core are motivated by Microsoft's desire to transform Windows into an effective tablet operating system. Even those of us with no interest at all in tablets can stand to take advantage of these changes, however. For example, Windows 8 is more power efficient and uses less memory than Windows 7; while such work is critical to getting the software to run well on low-memory tablets with all-day battery life, it's equally advantageous for laptop users.

The biggest single piece of technology that is new to Windows 8 is, however, squarely Metro focused: it's a large set of libraries and components called WinRT. I've already written extensively about what WinRT is, so I won't be getting into that here, but there are system capabilities that WinRT apps can use (or are forced to use) that are interesting in their own right.

Playing in the sandbox

Follow the link for the rest of the article...

/Side note... Still hating the constant side scrolling... Everything in Win8 needs to take advantage of the screen edge being scrollable...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

So your sold? As a "vapid sheep" are you now enjoying the sheer pleasure of windows 8? :D
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Pretty much :) Wouldnt say pleasure but it is fun to play with. I am still not sold that much on Metro, if some clever coding genius could make my mouse be seen as an accelerometer where one flick of a mouse in any direction can cause fast scrolling then I would be a little happier until then it will be a major gripe for me. Plus it was a cheap upgrade to Professional version vs my Home Premium 7 so I am not going to complain. Honestly the only way I am going to be affected by this upgrade is the judging I will get from a certain elite few... :P

It is a stable, fast and so far reliable OS. Yes the UI is jarring but after a weekend of learning I would far rather be locked in a room with Windows 8 than be at a 3 year old birthday party... <_<
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Anakha56 wrote:I proudly accept the "Vapid Sheep" title
And true to form, as a bona-fide vapid sheep, you bought your software through groupon, one of the most disreputable services around... and you paid too much!

PT Barnum was right, there is an Anakha56 born every minute :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ROFL Actually GroupOn refunded me my money and I went and it did it through the online store ;).
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Ho noes, the "vapid sheep" are spreading.
Anakha56 wrote:Pretty much :) It is a stable, fast and so far reliable OS. Yes the UI is jarring but after a weekend of learning I would far rather be locked in a room with Windows 8 than be at a 3 year old birthday party... <_<
:lol: I think anything would be better than that, even being locked in a room with Windows ME
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

jamin_za wrote:Only people buying a new PC and vapid sheep who have to have the latest <INSERT CONSUMER CRAP HERE> will run it on their PC's.
Or people that write code for a living; I believe it prudent to familiarise myself with the platforms that my code will be running on.

Haven't installed it yet though, will likely do so over the weekend.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

You're a web developer aren't you?
Surely you can code for specific browsers/browser versions and be OS agnostic...

If you are .Net developer this OS will hurt :P