Windows 8 Release

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
doo_much

Windows 8 Release

Post by doo_much »

Microsoft confirms Windows 8's October launch date

Microsoft has revealed that Windows 8 will be released on 26 October.
Source
And I'm still using XP... :oops:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Windows 8 Release

Post by Tribble »

Bwahahahaha so is my one PC. It works!
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

It's 11 years old. Would you have used Win95 in 2006? ;)

I like Win7, but I'll probably upgrade as soon as it's available in stores.*

* You know what I mean.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
ADT

Post by ADT »

hope it's better than the BETA, cause that sucked.
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

pass... that metro rubbish is about as user-obstructive as it gets without employing rabid stoats to scratch the user whenever they interact with the system..

i would like to personally smack everyone involved...

it may be fine for those mouth-breathing pad-tards who like to play at "hard-bitten futuristic pre-crime cop with an above average IQ" but for anyone looking to do something functional on a desktop, having to employ reg hacks to do so is simply insane...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Built for Kinect?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

StarBound wrote:Built for Kinect?
:eyebrow: Hey, after watching the keynote, I think you're right... certainly makes sense considering some of the weird interface decisions they've made.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

wait until you see "office 2013"...

*stab*stab*stab*stab*stab*stab*stab*
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:wait until you see "office 2013"...
I hear Office 2013 is going to be web 2.0 and will run from within IE10
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

web 2.1

IE7...

requires sharepoint and a cloud account managed through xbox live... :twisted:
ADT

Post by ADT »

jamin_za wrote:run from within IE10
om my god :shock: :shock:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

they've also metro'd it all the way...

yes... that's right. they threw metro on top of a productivity suite... because dragging your grubby fingers around a screen is a fantastic way to reduce productivity...

pad users: could you kindly line up outside next to the thick wall... Messrs Firing & Squad will be along shortly to mete out some well deserved justice...

<lost his gruntle because he will have to support this idiotic software...>
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

You convinced me puppy - I am installing Office 2013 now
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

cant wait for it !!
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

:shock:

In the name of all that is Sacred.....

//Initiating Decontamination Sequence//
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Sojourn wrote:cant wait for it !!
:shock: :shock:

Please tell me you are joking
rustypup wrote:wait until you see "office 2013"...

*stab*stab*stab*stab*stab*stab*stab*
+1. Eating my own hands would be less unpleasant....same goes for windows 8 and its catastrophically stupid interface :x :x
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

If one looks past the Metro UI (which I am in no position to comment on as I've yet to try it out), it appears that there are actually some significant improvements under the hood. From a Slashdot poster (which is where I hang out these days as I no longer relate to this forum community in any way):
It's exceedingly rare for me to lay any sort of praise on a Microsoft product at all here on slashdot but it does happen once in a great while; maybe three or six times in the past decade out of over 6,000 posts. It's going to happen here for a moment so if you W/E folks want to save a screenshot of a post to throw back at me later, now is the time. If you're hovering over that overrated mod you might just want to hang back for a wee bit and maybe read all the way through and review my comment history before you decide I'm a Redmond astroturfer. If you're one of my /. fans, you may want to turn your head as it's going to get ugly. Let's pause for a deep breath before we dig in.

In my experience in my labs on diverse hardware the most recent W8 demo publicly released is considerably more performant than W7 in every case - and maybe even better than XP, and credible reports anticipate an even more performant and responsive retail product. Specifically the removal of Aero and related chrome speeds up user interaction. The removal of several background tasks and the streamlining of others add other enhancements. Memory footprint is smaller. I/O operations to boot and log on to the domain are consolidated and reduced. Boot time is thereby reduced to something approaching reasonable even on older hardware. There may be some improved things happening in the scheduler too. It should allow the Enterprise System Architect to, for example, budget about 2x as many VDI clients per CPU core, and 1/3 less RAM per VDI desktop, and reduce the storage IOPs budged by 1/3 as well - though storage IOPs are notoriously oversubscribed for VDI because storage IOPs are expensive as hell. For some installations that's millions of dollars in hardware savings.

But wait! There's more! For normal hardware based desktop and laptop users these improvements also apply, but there's more. There are also broad driver enhancements that impact a vast spectrum of historical hardware - offerring improved I/O, better graphics performance, more reliable and performant interaction even with hardware up to five years old. Driver support goes deeper into history I believe than any Windows version has ever gone before, and broader across more brands. Yes, there will still be legacy devices, including some ancient printers and webcams that came in a white box, that don't have drivers - and if you have legacy devices that aren't supported you're out of luck. But generally not only are modern devices supported - they're supported better than any new version of Windows has ever supported them. If all your hardware is supported the $39 upgrade to W8 from even XP or Vista is a performance improvement that might get you out of buying new gear, giving you the performance boost of a 2-year upgrade - and get you the "Pro" version when you've been plodding along with a "home version" or worse and Media Center as a download too! If that's spare money an SSD and a couple Nexus 7 tablets or a Transformer Infinity or SGS III are all great places to put that money you would otherwise give to HP, Dell, Acer or Lenovo, and then you can have both a performant PC and the Pretty Amazing New Stuff!

For once Microsoft remembered to put some bait on their hook. In short, some Microsoft code geeks got retro and started doing stuff everybody else was doing 5-15 years ago. There's some other stuff in the box too and I'll talk about it in other posts. But for once I'm going to give the Microsoft software engineers some praise and not take it immediately away. They found out how to operate a performance analyzer, how to trim some fat, how many legacy devices to support in an OS revision. They figured out what a waste that UI chrome was. They read up on what a framebuffer is. They figured out that 5,000,000 128-byte I/Os at boot time could and probably should be consolidated somehow. They figured out how to get the fixes for that past their management.

I'm not a fan of the company and I'm not ever going to be. I'm not a fan of this product either for reasons I'll go into in another post. This is not an endorsement for the product. I wouldn't recommend it either as a new buy or an upgrade because of those other reasons which may or may not (probably not, to be honest) matter to most people. But on a purely technical basis there is good solid work going on here both in designs and internals and it should be recognized. There are some gnomes in Redmond still able to and struggling to produce good product and this one time some of their efforts finally saw the light of day despite the maneuvering of their "strategic thinkers". It's "better." Nicely done whoever you are.

I will now return to my regularly scheduled Microsoft bashing. Don't expect this to happen ever again.
(Source here.)

The problem is that the vast majority don't care much about operating systems behind the user interface, and by all accounts, this appears to be Win8's weak point, particularly as Windows caters towards the lowest common denominator.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

It's the same amount of nonsensical babbling we see with every upgrade users have to perform.

"XP to Vista/Win7? That interface? I will never get used to it, never!"
"A ribbon for office? Why can't we just have our good old menus back?!"
"A new facebook interface? We'll boycott facebook until they bring the old one back!"

I don't like the new start menu or UI at times (the Metro UI is fantastic on phones though), but have you seen stuff like the new file copy dialog? It's absolutely brilliant. And if chucking aero out the window (pun maybe intended) means we're going to see XP performance (or better!) on our desktops, then I'm all for it.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i have no issue with the performance... it's windows 7 tweaked. and the copy caching nonsense that made windows 7 such a delight has been rightfully dispensed with.

the UI, however, should not impede access and that is precisely what it does. i don't care how wonderful it is on phones and pads. they're unproductive toys at worst. at best, over-priced media centres.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Ron2K wrote:...I no longer relate to this forum community in any way...
The forum doesn't relate to the forum in any way any more... :cry:

Anyway.
Bladerunner wrote:It's the same amount of nonsensical babbling we see with every upgrade users have to perform.
-----snip
Some of us don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading Lemmetjie. I'm still 'stuck' with XP on my work PC and laptop because that's what they shipped with and the software I use run on them.

So I'm totally not motivated to spend hard-earned cash for a new OS.

As for getting it the moment it hits the shelves? Never. Learnt that the hard way with Vista.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

@Ron.

Now yes there are some good things about win 8. But I am sorry, that interface just completely ruins all of it as you have to use it to get to what you want. Everyday you will be greeted by its ghastliness and stupidity so who cares how good it is underneath when it is covered in a veneer of turd :?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

THE_STIG wrote:@Ron.

Now yes there are some good things about win 8. But I am sorry, that interface just completely ruins all of it as you have to use it to get to what you want. Everyday you will be greeted by its ghastliness and stupidity so who cares how good it is underneath when it is covered in a veneer of turd :?
Citation needed.

If you are going to state your opinion as fact, you had better be prepared to back this up with hard data; if you're going to state an opinion at all, you need to show critical thinking, reason and logic. I have no time for **** who state opinions based on emotion and then try to a) state that opinion as fact and b) whip it out in public, wave it around and shove it down our thoats -- I will ignore both them and their opinion. The vast majority of users on this forum will do likewise.

For what it's worth, I do not have any opinion on the Metro UI at this stage as I have yet to use it. I probably should download the Release Preview and see what all the fuss is about, but I'm rather lacking in the free time department at present...
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Ron2K wrote:
Spoiler (show)

Citation needed.

If you are going to state your opinion as fact, you had better be prepared to back this up with hard data; if you're going to state an opinion at all, you need to show critical thinking, reason and logic. I have no time for **** who state opinions based on emotion and then try to a) state that opinion as fact and b) whip it out in public, wave it around and shove it down our thoats -- I will ignore both them and their opinion. The vast majority of users on this forum will do likewise.

For what it's worth, I do not have any opinion on the Metro UI at this stage as I have yet to use it. I probably should download the Release Preview and see what all the fuss is about, but I'm rather lacking in the free time department at present..
What he said.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

This is exactly where Blade's earlier comment fits in.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

The only time you'll really be greeted by it's ghastliness is when you open the start menu. And from what I've seen in that lifehacker vid it already looks a lot better than the developer preview (that was bad). I recall myself downgrading the Metro interface to "Homo", but as soon as you use it on a phone or tablet, it all makes sense.

There are a few issues on the desktop PCs, like the weather app they showed in the lifehacker vid, where scrolling has to be done by clicking and dragging, but I can't see myself looking at the weather app more than once a day. My other apps that I actually use will look and feel normal.

The thing that sells it for me is the thought of having XP performance, but all the technologies of 7 bundled with it.