Getting ICS working again...

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
xDODGERx

Getting ICS working again...

Post by xDODGERx »

Hey guys

Since I got my desktop internet has been a bit of a problem. My wireless ends just outside my bedroom (I don't have a wireless card on top of that) and my 3g cap is a low 250mb pm.

Now I have my Macbook with Windows 7 installed which I used previously for my gaming before building my desktop. I have a very long ethernet cable which can reach from my room to the dining room table, where my laptop can get about 3 bars signal (normally gives the same performance as 5). This ICS setup worked perfectly for a few days but one day I plugged my laptop directly into the router for a long download. Doing this seemed to have changed some of my ethernet adapter settings on my laptop because after that my ICS did not work. I went back to a restore point and it worked again. Shortly after that I went on holiday with my laptop and LANed a bit with my cousins. Again this did something to my settings but now there is no restore point that goes back further than a week.

When I attempt to set ICS up now, I get no internet connection with my desktop and when I try to diagnose I get a "local area connection does not have a valid ip" problem that it can not fix by itself. I tried setting the IPs of both computers on the ethernet adapters and also tried looking up the problem, but finding nothing that really helped me.

I apologise for my lack of knowledge when it comes to network settings. I admit that it is the area in computers that I am not great in. All replies will be much appreciated.

My budget Intel rig:
Intel i3 2100, Asus P8H67-M LE, 4gb DDR3 1333mhz Mushkin Silverline, Club3D Radeon HD6850, Seagate 500gb 7200, Seagate 2TB 7200, Gigabyte ODIN 585W, Samsung S20A300B 20" LED.

I fear I may need to upgrade for next gen...
Slimshaedy

Re: Getting ICS working again...

Post by Slimshaedy »

Maybe im just slow but what is ICS? First thing that comes to mind is Androids Ice Cream Sandwich. dont u automatically obtain an IP or are you using a static IP?
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Slimshaedy wrote:Maybe im just slow but what is ICS
No maybe about it. You could have put the characters I C and S in Google...

Internet Connection Sharing is a poorly implemented and hit-and-miss solution. I'm sure you have searched the web for solutions to your problem already and have found more issues than answers.

I would say that using the LAN cable on your Laptop wrecked ICS because the laptops wireless was configured for the net and the physical network card was configured for ICS, but plugging the network card into the router reconfigured it for ICS.
I'd suggest deleting all configs off the physical network cards on both machines - uninstall and reinstall then if necessary - and then try running the ICS wizard again.

Best of luck
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

^^ What jamin_za is trying to say is...

The router probably re-configured your network cards with a gateway address other than the address of the laptop.

I would suggest you set up the router so that it pushes the correct gateway address through to the client pc's
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

/spending to much time in Android world. ICS = Ice Cream Sandwich...

+1 to jamin & Ruad...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:I would suggest you set up the router so that it pushes the correct gateway address through to the client pc's
Excellent suggestion, except for this:
xDODGERx wrote:I apologise for my lack of knowledge when it comes to network settings.
Telling the OP to change the config on his router could prove disastrous...
Assuming he managed to make it as far as the router config page.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Wahahahaha... true...
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
xDODGERx

Post by xDODGERx »

jamin_za wrote: I'd suggest deleting all configs off the physical network cards on both machines - uninstall and reinstall then if necessary - and then try running the ICS wizard again.
To do this should I just uninstall and reinstall the Local Area Connection drivers?

Thanks so much for all the posts guys.
My budget Intel rig:
Intel i3 2100, Asus P8H67-M LE, 4gb DDR3 1333mhz Mushkin Silverline, Club3D Radeon HD6850, Seagate 500gb 7200, Seagate 2TB 7200, Gigabyte ODIN 585W, Samsung S20A300B 20" LED.

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

xDODGERx wrote:To do this should I just uninstall and reinstall the Local Area Connection drivers?
That will probably do.
Once they are uninstalled a rescan for hardware changes from device manager should reinstall them.
Just make sure you don't have any cables plugged in when you do.
xDODGERx

Post by xDODGERx »

Thanks, I will give it a try when I get home.
My budget Intel rig:

xDODGERx

Post by xDODGERx »

It worked. Its such a simple solution, yet I didn't think of it. Thanks so much guys, it is very much appreciated!
My budget Intel rig:

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Microsoft has a bad history with network stacks. Their implementation of what the OS should do in terms of the OSI layer is horrendous. When the stack falls over and gets all befuddled it is sometimes best to re-install the drivers like you did. I would however still prefer your router to give out correct proxy settings... but that is just me ;)
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932