What's keeping you on XP?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

What's keeping you on XP?

Post by Ron2K »

Slashdot wrote:PC World reports that Windows XP lost more than 11 percent of its share from September to December 2011, to post a December average of 46.5 percent, a new low for the aged OS as users have gotten Microsoft's message that the operating system should be retired. Figures indicate that Windows 7 will become the most widely used version in April, several months earlier than previous estimates. Two months ago, as Microsoft quietly celebrated the 10th anniversary of XP's retail launch, the company touted the motto 'Standing still is falling behind' to promote Windows 7 and demote XP. In July, Microsoft told customers it was 'time to move on' from XP, reminding everyone that the OS would exit all support in April 2014. Before that, the Internet Explorer team had dismissed XP as the 'lowest common denominator' when they explained why it wouldn't run IE9. The deadline for ditching Windows XP is in April 2014, when Microsoft stops patching the operating system. 'Enterprises don't want to run an OS when there's no security fixes,' says Michael Silver, an analyst with Gartner Research rejecting the idea that Microsoft would extend the end-of-life date for Windows XP to please the 10% who have no plans to leave the OS. 'The longer they let them run XP, the more enterprises will slow down their migration.'
Source

Those of you still on XP -- why are you still running it? Not criticising, just curious.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: What's keeping you on XP?

Post by Tribble »

It would require purchasing a Win 7 x2, backing up all my data, formatting my machines......... lots of work. Yes I know I can just upgrade but I have been wanting to reformat my machines for a long time. I have too much junk on them (as you know).

It is becoming more important that I do this as I need to train Adv Win 7 courses and it would be useful if I knew it intimately. We do have other machines running 7 but they aren't exclusively mine - so I cannot mess with the settings.

So - you can chalk my tardiness to laziness.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I still run it on my office PC, mostly due to hardware limitations, but also because it still works. No need to pay to upgrade when my productivity will stay the same.

I have come across many people that don't understand the hardware requirements of Win 7 or Vista, install it on their single core Sempron with 512MB RAM and then complain when they see poor performance.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Well I use it on the various other PC's around the house because it is lighter on resources than win7, and win XP does a better job when running old apps. But XP still does everything you need, everybody is familiar with it and you can install it an endless amount of times(but maybe that is just me)........so for those still using XP for office stuff or internet there is no reason why you should spend money on Windows 7.

But for gaming then I dont see why you would keep XP, unless your PC is rather old.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

It works.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

We use it on the slow as molasses work pcs. Because they're slow and the people using them are even slower.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Varsity only uses XP :'(
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

doo_much wrote:It works.
So do Model T Ford's - does that mean you drive one :?:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

jamin_za wrote:
doo_much wrote:It works.
So do Model T Ford's - does that mean you drive one :?:
They don't always work - especially on freeways - but if I could afford one in pristine condition, I probably would drive it whenever the opportunity presented itself. :thumbup:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

^^ Will you be interested in a black one or will you go for another colour it was originally manufactured in?
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Yeah because people could get the Model-T Ford in whatever colour they wanted - as long as it was black

//Played Civ4 so long I have a long list of quotes memorised
PhR34KKK

Post by PhR34KKK »

My damn company is to cheap to upgrade my 5 year old Laptop, and I develop on the damn thing !!
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Still using XP (64bit though) on my laptop. And I'm not planning to change that. Its fast and stable, never had a day of trouble with it.
Using Win7 64bit on my PC for the past year. Still no more impressed than I was the first time I saw it. Its slow, buggy and crashes often(I was used to uptimes of 80+ days on XP, now if I go 15 days its a wonder). The only reasons I use it is to drive my 3d screen and because people told me I can't say 7 is crap if I have not used it.

If they brought 3Dvision support to XP, I would go back in less than a day.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

...not sure if trolling...
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Sorry mate, not trollin'...

If Windows 8 is as as much of an improvement as 7 was on Vista, it may be as usable as XP64.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I've abandoned Windows XP after a month of using Windows 7 but only because my hardware was allowing it to be a much better experience. Better usage of my cpu, 64-bit removing the 4gb limit, DX11, basicly for gaming advantage.

If some developers didn't start using DX11 I could see never moving away from XP. After all consoles are stuck on DX9 like operations. No need to upgrade the poor pc if you feel like comparing.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Nuke wrote:Still using XP (64bit though) on my laptop. And I'm not planning to change that. Its fast and stable, never had a day of trouble with it.
Using Win7 64bit on my PC for the past year. Still no more impressed than I was the first time I saw it. Its slow, buggy and crashes often(I was used to uptimes of 80+ days on XP, now if I go 15 days its a wonder).
Anecdotal evidence FTW.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

jamin_za wrote:Yeah because people could get the Model-T Ford in whatever colour they wanted - as long as it was black

//Played Civ4 so long I have a long list of quotes memorised
TOTALLY OFF TOPIC, but...

Isn't it amazing though how - when you start delving into the roots of those quotes - how many are total misquotes or attributed to the wrong person?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
PhR34KKK

Post by PhR34KKK »

because you need XP to level up !!
What a n00b ;)
ADT

Post by ADT »

PhR34KKK wrote:because you need XP to level up !!
What a n00b ;)
Hahaha WIN :lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
xDODGERx

Post by xDODGERx »

I am planning on making a XP partition just for my really old games using those ancient installers.

For me the whole look of OS has become quite important. That has always been a problem for me in XP and downloading windows 7 or Vista themes is not really worth the trouble. Windows 7 and OSX look great :D
My budget Intel rig:
Intel i3 2100, Asus P8H67-M LE, 4gb DDR3 1333mhz Mushkin Silverline, Club3D Radeon HD6850, Seagate 500gb 7200, Seagate 2TB 7200, Gigabyte ODIN 585W, Samsung S20A300B 20" LED.

I fear I may need to upgrade for next gen...