Windows 8 to natively support ISO and VHD mounting

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

ExtremeTech wrote:With a masterful nail in the optical disc coffin, Rajeev Nagar of the Windows 8 Storage & File Systems team has detailed how Microsoft’s new operating system will natively mount ISO disc images. On the slightly more enterprisesque side of the equation, Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) files will also be supported by Windows 8 in much the same way as ISOs. Both new features will be smoothly integrated into Windows 8 Explorer’s ribbon menu, and mounting an ISO or VHD is as simple as double clicking the file.
Source

About bloody time. Mac and Linux guys have been able to do this natively for ages, while the Windows crowd has been forced to use third-party apps until now.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Windows 8 to natively support ISO and VHD mounting

Post by Anakha56 »

Agreed but then I look at how I have been running at home and I dont need this. At work I need it and it will save me a lot of time but at home I have not mounted a ISO image in +- 2 years...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Welcome to 2011 Microsoft. :o
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Why is it better than Daemon Tools?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

KALSTER wrote:Why is it better than Daemon Tools?
Because you won't have to install Daemon Tools :P

It's not going to be feature packed, it's just going to let you mount ISO's and VHD's natively.
Trying to compare this to DT is like comparing mspaint to Paint.Net or notepad to Notepad++
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

In that case, meh.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I have to ask, besides mounting and unmounting, and perhaps the ability to mount more that one disc at a time- what features do you use that will make native support "meh"?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

SykomantiS wrote:what features do you use that will make native support "meh"?
Obvious troll is obvious...

Emulation
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Obvious troll is not so obvious. It was a serious question. :|
I haven't actually read the link (doing so now) and I honestly forgot about emulation. Also, there is no mention in the article of W8 supporting emulation, then again, there's no mention that it won't.
So unless you have another source that says differently, that might be a non-issue :?:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

So you are operating under the assumption that unless otherwise stated MS will offer every feature that other 3rd party applications offer :?:

Lets look at some of the things MS included natively that were a massive success.

Burning data to CD\DVD :?:
Wow that native support is so feature-rich and reliable it has all but killed the market for 3rd party apps like Nero etc.

Desktop Virtualization :?:
OMGWTFBBQ that blew my mind. "XP-Mode" is so revolutionary and groundbreaking that other desktop virtualization software like VMWare Player etc is practically defunct!

Should I go on or should we all just assume that MS's implentation of native ISO support will be just as functional, but also just as lacklustre as everything else they have ever bundled into their OS...

And unless otherwise stated, they WONT be including emulation :P
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

As Jamin so flamboyantly demonstrated, the support with probably be, at best, adequate.

But (not trolling), what do you mean by emulation?

The article talks about being able to back up games, supposedly in a legit fashion. Could it be that MS would ad an encryption/DRM component to the new feature?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

DT (and most comparable software) comes with options to emulate DRM and copy protection - classics like LaserLock, SafeDisc and of course, SecureROM are emulated with varying degrees of success.

It's a safe as houses bet that this emulation will NOT be included in Windows native offering
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

jamin_za wrote:DT (and most comparable software) comes with options to emulate DRM and copy protection - classics like LaserLock, SafeDisc and of course, SecureROM are emulated with varying degrees of success.

It's a safe as houses bet that this emulation will NOT be included in Windows native offering
As would be required if you want to be able to play game back-ups by mounting an ISO. Not sure where that article writer got his information, but nothing of the sort is mentioned by MS itself.

So, reiteratively, meh.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

meh +1