Elder Scrolls Online MMO

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Elder Scrolls Online MMO

Post by hamin_aus »

How is there not already a thread for this :?:

http://elderscrollsonline.com

Its now at semi-open beta and if you have made a beta application you should have received a mail with a key for this weekend only

Get cracking.

If this is good I will play it just because its priced way out of the range of the typical South African gamers budget and I'll get to be all smug and first world about it!

Oz prices are $90 for the standard and $115 for the Imperial editions plus $15 a month - so you guys could be looking at R1000 up front and up to R150 a month... ouch!
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Elder Scrolls Online MMO

Post by StarBound »

hamin_aus wrote:How is there not already a thread for this :?:
Because:
1 - Sub MMO
2 - Skyrim with a multiplayer mod for your needs
3 - No imperial race (since the LE announcement)
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Hahahaha...

As someone who has already played it I can say the game comes pretty close to being worth the insane amount of money they are asking for it...
Skyrim with a multiplayer mod for your needs
The interface is very Skyrim-esque and I played as a Nord character for a bit and it did feel like I was playing a bit of very polished Skyrim DLC, but playing as any of the other factions makes that go away.

Also Skyrim multiplayer mods don't even come close to MMO standards.
Sub MMO
Not sure what you mean by Sub MMO. The MMO part is there in force. I got to level 10 in the beta which unlocks PvP and their guild and world vs world stuff could be better implemented than even guild wars 2 by the looks of things
No imperial race (since the LE announcement)
wat.png
Imperials are still there, just not active in the beta and you need the exorbitantly priced Imperial Edition to be able to play as them... bit of a diick move that for sure.

This is a serious contender in the MMO space.

That being said I will NOT be purchasing this game at its current price.
They need to either bring the monthly subscription fee down by 30% OR bring the up-front cost to purchase the game down by 30-40% (ideally both) before I will even consider this a worthwhile purchase.
I'm willing to wait 6 months when lackluster sales to force them to do something like this.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Should have said subscription instead of sub. My bad on that. I dont know. These days the only MMOs I am willing to play are those that are paid in full upfront and have no pay to win mechanics. I just dont see myself paying a sub for a game. Makes me feel forced to play which I don't want. And the free to play stuff just cut back on the features essential to the game.
My Steam Screenshots

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

StarBound wrote:These days the only MMOs I am willing to play are those that are paid in full upfront and have no pay to win mechanics.
Thats not a sustainable model for most companies putting out MMO's
WoW manges to pay for the Bliz server farms so they can run Diablo and Starcraft servers at no extra cost to their consumers, but smaller companies dont have that sort of cash cow.

The cost to keep a server farm running is expensive and after 6 moths when game sales have slumped to a trickle the cost to maintain the servers for the existing player-base is all loss.
You need subs or a micro-transaction system to make it work long term.
StarBound wrote:I just dont see myself paying a sub for a game. Makes me feel forced to play which I don't want. And the free to play stuff just cut back on the features essential to the game.
That is fine, but then you have to realize that limits you drastically.
I have no issues with subs, if they are reasonable. I have played WoW and EVE for many months and the sub factor didn't bother me.
I also played F2P MMO's like PerfectsWorlds D&D game NeverWinter with micro-transactions and ended up spending a few bucks a months on non-essential but helpful items and boosters.
LoL probably has the best model because only vanity items need to be bought worth real world money.

But if it is fairly implemented both sub and freemium models are worthwhile IMO.
Pay to win games abound which give freemium models a bad name, but they are not all a blatant money grab.

ESO, however, are being greedy. They have a great product and a dedicated user base. They know it. Now they plan to milk it for all its worth and I wont play along.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

hamin_aus wrote: WoW manges to pay for the Bliz server farms so they can run Diablo and Starcraft servers at no extra cost to their consumers, but smaller companies dont have that sort of cash cow.

Or you know they could just make the games offline and not have any extra cost but you know that would make for rampant piracy... :P

I looked at this and went "Meh" another MMO, oh joy... I honestly could never get into these games mainly because things get repetitive very quickly and I don't see why a monthly sub (especially at their price) is worth the repetitiveness. Also when they do decide to kill the server farm I won't get any money back and neither will I have anything to show for that investment, so why play them? Or better yet "We are releasing new content for the game! Pay us another 30 <insert currency here> to get it now!". WTH? You are paying a monthly sub only to get ripped off a couple of months down the line? Pass...

I do realize I have contradicted myself because I have bought for copies of D3 & SC and have D3's next installment coming in Collectors fashion but I have to draw a line somewhere and that is MMO's...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Anakha56 wrote:Or you know they could just make the games offline and not have any extra cost
Do I have to explain to you how developmentally challenged you seem making a comment like this in a thread about MMO's :?:

Perhaps I should expand the acronym MMO so you fully understand why offline play is not really feasable :?: :P
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

hamin_aus wrote:How is there not already a thread for this :?:
An above average cinematic does not a great game make. Scan the youtube comments for people that have played the beta. Most of them say the game is quite average.

Add to that the pricing, and you have a recipe for failure.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Read on context. I was referring to D3 & SC they are not MMO and don't need the always online as proved by the console versions.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I think there is currently a bet going on about TESO being the most failed MMO launch.
My Steam Screenshots

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

what the.... how is there a thread for this? :P

YAMMO - meh. grindy for the grindy types, botters, boxers and farmers designed to extract the maximum amount of milk from the victim with the minimum amount of moo...

had 3 beta invites... they must have been pretty serious about how great it would be... :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

The beta ended today

One of my friends has been playing almost non-stop since Saturday morning.
He and the impromptu guild he formed were doing PvP right up until the beta ended.

They discovered a serious flaw with the stealth mechanics in the game which basically lets units which are stealth'd (aka crouched) walk right up to you and only reveal themselves when they smash you in the face.

He was streaming his final bit of gameplay

Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I cannot wait - but hope they make it cheaper - have 4 licenses to buy
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

I'll just leave this here.

Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

hamin_aus wrote:They discovered a serious flaw with the stealth mechanics in the game which basically lets units which are stealth'd (aka crouched) walk right up to you and only reveal themselves when they smash you in the face.
Sounds like how stealth should be :dontknow:
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Right, because IRL the act of crouching renders you invisible unless you assault a person... kek

I have been following the post-beta apocalypse and StarBound is right, it is being caned by fans and critics alike.
So much butthurt for what is actually a pretty good game IMO.

Oh well.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

hamin_aus wrote:...is being caned by fans and critics alike.

So much butthurt...
It's nice seeing what you say flowing into each other so aptly dude.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

hamin_aus wrote:Ra pretty good game IMO.
No one whats to pay a subscription for "Pretty good".

Also:
hamin_aus wrote: kek
Did you just make a WoW reference? Nice.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

hamin_aus wrote:Right, because IRL the act of crouching renders you invisible unless you assault a person...
And magically conjuring up fireballs to kill people fit in so well with RL :dontknow:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

CapNemo wrote:
hamin_aus wrote:Right, because IRL the act of crouching renders you invisible unless you assault a person...
And magically conjuring up fireballs to kill people fit in so well with RL :dontknow:
:lol: point taken, but still, a fireball is a spell you need to learn and conjure in fitting with the cannon.
Crouching to become invisible is not. I'm all for levelling stealth the way Skyrim did it, but with ESO its just a broken mechanic
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

True enough I agree detection should be based on skill difference between players or some such
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Was given a code - so going to check it out
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

This next open beta will let you play as Imperials - its gonna showcase the collectors edition content...

I'm not interested any more tho

With Diablo 3: RoS on the horizon I'll use my $60 up front & $15 p.m. for other things

Also Tribs, enjoy a 30+ GB download :lol:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Eeeek - I am uncapped but that is some serious download
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/03/t ... skeptical/
The Elder Scrolls Online beta leaves us skeptical
MMO conversion trades the series' characteristic freedom for stifling control.

The Elder Scrolls games are lonely. That's their greatest strength. They're about wandering through huge worlds, picking flowers or hunting wolves or seeking out unexplored caves. They're games about freedom, which they grant to the player by pushing the biggest concerns into the background. When everything is relatively unimportant, anything can be important. So why not play Daggerfall as a local hero who picks a tiny village and does every quest there until all the cardboard cutout townspeople virtually sing your name every time you talk to them? Why not spend your time in Skyrim collecting every cheese wheel in the game, dumping them into your new house's living room? The moments of greatness in the series occur when that freedom meets the game systems in ridiculous or fantastic fashion, like cresting a hill and watching a giant kick a poacher a hundred yards or desperately fleeing from a lich king into the path of a rampaging dragon and then falling down the mountain as the two fight one another.

In contrast, massively multiplayer role-playing games (MMORPGs) have, since the days of Everquest and especially World Of Warcraft, been about control. After Ultima Online's early attempts at granting freedom to players ran into both technical and sociological problems, the genre achieved success by controlling the player experience and granting potential rewards as authored by the game developers. This certainly beats the brutal nightmare that UO's ridiculous player-versus-player system quickly became, and it's not like the genre can't include moments of beauty and ridiculousness. They just happen to occur in spite of the game's controlling systems, not in harmony with them.

For this reason, The Elder Scrolls Online (TESO) always deserved skepticism. Was there any good reason to expect that the joys of the Elder Scrolls games would translate to a massively multiplayer format? I would love to be able to tell you that TESO manages to bridge those worlds of freedom and control, combining the best of both into a beautiful paradox. Unfortunately, after playing this past weekend's semi-open beta while TESO prepares for launch in just a couple of weeks, I found that the opposite was true: it was the worst of both worlds. TESO takes the most predictable path, putting a superficial coating of The Elder Scrolls over a fairly conventional MMORPG.

Follow the link for more issues ;).