MMO bashing

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

MMO bashing

Post by StarBound »

Some of you may know that when it comes to MMOs my choice is loud and clear that Guild Wars 2 takes the cake. I got a FF14 beta invite for the weekend and decided to test it out. The first 15 minutes of the game put me off. Last night I spent another 10 minutes that was better but still didn't hold my interest for long. So now I've decided to go into a bit more detail surrounding the MMO mechanics that works and doesn't work for me.

Cinematics:
Unless its something concrete or vital to the story/setting a cinematic should be avoided. Even GW2 has these and are bareable most of the time. Your able to skip it and in WoWs case I believe you can skip these to.

Voice Acting:
This is something I never paid much heed to until it became a corner stone to my immersion. No more long winded walls of text. Keep it plain and simple.

Character voices:
The nintendo style "hey" , "huh" , "oh" does not cut it. Emotes still does have you character speaking volumes and perhaps its for the better. WoW has its /silly emote that is a nice few jokes. GW2 on the other hand has your character saying stuff as you use skills and help other players. Even the "thank you" you give to the vendor after using their services is a very welcoming thing. On the NPC side even hearing the voices of children, merchants, civilians and soldiers adds to the living world.

Events vs Quests:
A topic of debate. An event is still a quest. True but again it helps towards the effect of the world. Things that randomly happens that you can be apart of depending on the situation.
Set pick up quests however is something I've grown to hate. I've sometimes felt that a set quest would be something I would want back in a game but the more I see the use of dynamic events the less I am sure that I want to be tangled up into something that forces me to kill 50 boars with white noses for a sandwich.

Dungeons and Raids:
Believe it or not, there is still a place for this with me. Dungeons are suppose to be that added challenge. And raids are an even higher degree of challenge that usually has some nice rewards. Needless to say the game should have the appropriate awards or the point of these raids might be overlooked.

Classes/Jobs:
Most MMOs sets you up with a single class. FF14 allows you to swap classes on your character meaning you can play anything you want from warrior to mage. The idea of having a dedicated tank, healer and dps still holds up. Characters that can do everything usually suffers from being underpowered in one area or the other. GW2 is no exception to this. While it has done away with these you can still see where classes might have made dungeons and other events easier with these rolls.

All and all my choice remains GW2 for having a world that feels alive with all the things it does. FF14 failed my expectations by taking away the things I took for granted. There is talk of voice acting going to be added in the final release of FF14 but that remains to be seen.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.