Thief 4: Garret's back in town!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
rustypup

Thief 4: Garret's back in town!

Post by rustypup »

Eidos wrote:Eidos-Montréal is excited to unveil its previously secret second title in development at the studio, Thief™ 4, the next instalment in the legendary series.

The original Thief game, Thief: The Dark Project redefined first person gaming and established an entirely new genre of stealth based game play. The critically and commercially acclaimed Thief series has won numerous awards and accolades including GameSpy Hall of Fame, GameSpot Greatest Games of All Time and The Academy of Interactive Arts And Sciences Outstanding Achievement in Character and Story Development.

Eidos-Montréal, which is also currently producing the much anticipated Deus Ex™ 3, has recruited the very best core team for the development of Thief 4. The team is comprised of industry veterans who have worked on an incredible collection of AAA titles and who each bring personal expertise in their respective fields.

“We’re in the early development stages for Thief 4, but this is an incredibly ambitious and exciting project for Eidos,” said Stéphane D’Astous, General Manager at Eidos-Montréal. “While it’s too early for us to offer any specific game details, right now we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio and help us make what we believe will be one of the most exciting games on the market.”
ok.. .sot it's eidos... but THIEF 4!.. and why didn't i pick up on this sooner :/
Last edited by rustypup on 12 Aug 2013, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Thief 4: Garret's back in town!

Post by StarBound »

Its not Thief 4, its Thi4f! And not FEAR 3. Its F3AR. Maybe somewhere in time they will stop screwing around with game titles and go back to proper numbering. eg "Prince of Persia 18 4-2 Sands of the Forgotten Time Oasis of Doom".
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Molean

Post by Molean »

Hope it's good. Number 2 was my favourite in the series...ah the fond memories of sneaking up to people and bashing them over the head...*chortle*
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/t ... g-in-2014/
Thi4f becomes plain old Thief, reboot coming in 2014
Eidos Montreal pulls back the curtain on Garrett's long-awaited return.

Ready to feel old? It has been nearly nine years since we last got to sneak around The City while stealing and killing from the shadows in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Ready to feel young again? Square Enix and Eidos Montreal are finally ready to unveil the fourth game in the venerable Thief series, simply called Thief, ahead of a release for PC and PlayStation 4 sometime in 2014.

Game Informer is giving the game its cover slot for its April issue, teasing that the title will see the return of series protagonist Garrett and the Gothic Victorian setting of The City. Eidos Montreal seems to be branding the new title as a full series reboot rather than a sequel to existing games, though.

"We wanted as a core team to keep the main pillar of what is a Thief game," one developer says in a short teaser trailer posted by Game Informer. "Garret is not someone that's renowned in the world of Thief, so most NPCs will not talk to him, and if they will see him they'll be quite afraid of him, because he's a scary gentleman," says another.

Thief 4 (or Thi4f as it was sometimes annoyingly called) has been in development since at least May of 2009, when Eidos Montreal first publicly mentioned the title on its webpage. "Right now, we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio and help us make what we believe will be one of the most exciting games on the market," Eidos Montréal General Manager Stéphane D'Astous wrote at the time.

More information will be available in the digital edition of Game Informer later this afternoon, and print subscribers will be able to get their hands on details in the next couple of weeks.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Look away rusty...

http://kotaku.com/seems-like-thief-real ... -482915418
Seems Like Thief Really Is In Serious Trouble
We'd been hearing rumors that the new Thief was in trouble, which made for a worrisome combination with the findings of our columnist/sleuth Superannuation, who last June dug up a distressing amount of turnover at the game's developer Eidos Montreal. A new report at Polygon backs up those earlier concerns, describing a laborious creative process, conflicting visions, high-level staff turnover and a generally troubled development for the high-profile sequel.

Citing sources familiar with the studio, Polygon reports that the team at Eidos Montreal has been hamstrung by conflicting creative visions, most of which stem from high-level turnover, as each new senior designer would scrap old ideas and bring in new ones. The team was also sidetracked by a push to create promotional demos, reportedly spending 10 months working on a single demo, which was eventually shown to Game Informer for a cover story and to the rest of the press shortly afterward.

From Polygon:
The current version of Thief barely resembles the initial concept, says a source. The vertical slice doesn't load inside Thief's current heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 3. Many programming tricks were necessary to run the current demonstration, like turning off non-playable character AI — the engine has trouble when too many characters are on screen.
At GDC in March, I saw the press demo of the game and couldn't quite get a handle on it; it felt as thrown-together as it sounds like it actually was. It was difficult to tell whether or not the game was truly reacting to the player, or even if it was being played at all, in places. We weren't allowed to play the game ourselves, and as with any hands-off demo, were asked to take the developers' word that the game worked as it appeared to. The demo didn't give me what felt like an accurate view of the game, though trashing a hands-off demo felt unnecessary. In the end, I decided not to write it up.

Superannuation's detective work last June turned up a number of staff departures that dovetail with the Polygon report:
One of the more mystifying absences from last week's E3 was Eidos Montreal's Thief 4, a game which has been in development for four years — an amount of time that encompasses the entirety of the development cycle for the studio's first game, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If a perusal of various online resumes is anything to go by, the project appears to be rather beleaguered.

After two-plus years of work on the project, Thief 4 audio director and composer Paul Weir left the Eidos Montreal in March. The month prior, lead level designer Adam Alim went to WB Games Montreal. He apparently is not the only lead level designer to hop off the team —Pierre-Olivier Clement, the previous lead level designer, apparently moved to another project at Eidos Montreal last year. Among other departures: two senior concept artists exited Eidos to a freelance career after nearly two and three years, respectively; a senior technical level designer left last month; a senior animator went back to Ubisoft last September; and a senior level designer moved to something else at Eidos in August.
When contacted by Kotaku, the game's publisher Square Enix declined to comment. All in all, sounds like unhappy times for Thief.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Sounds like they don't know how to bring it into the modern era without destroying the game. They compete with Dishonored which is essencially an assassin game, Skyrim which has a thieves guild that does things very well, and cod because hey everyone wants to compete with it.
My Steam Screenshots

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

so, eidos producing what they do best...

disappointment.. :lol:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

maybe not *all* doom and gloom...

but then the submitter goes and posts:
The camera actually shifts to a third-person perspective for some of the climbing sections, allowing the player to shimmy and leap a la the Uncharted series.
... because uncharted was such an innovative example it serves as a reference point for this novel game mechanic?..

tjop...

on top of which, this concerns me:
The player has a ridiculous number of thief skills at their disposal, all of which have been given plenty of ways to serve Garret nicely in this particular level.
.... a huge part of the fun in the originals was the load-out... sounds like kit is taking a back seat - (which is what happened in dishonoured... once you have blink, the game's challenge almost vanishes)..
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Rusty, as games progress they start losing some of what we might have enjoyed from the previous games. I mean Bioshock Infinite lost what made bioshock bioshock and left us with an every day military shooter.
My Steam Screenshots

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

PC Gamer write-up

cons...
  • I look to a nearby edge, and a prompt appears telling me I can jump across. Jumping is now a context- sensitive action.
    I detest loss of control. I get that this is being released on consoles, but plumbing this sort of idiocy in means the PC gamer is stuck with it...
    The loss of manoeuvrability is compensated for by the addition of a swoop move, which allows you to duck and dash silently over short distances in a single movement. It’s new, but it feels like a fair addition to Garrett’s arsenal of abilities.

blink?
    I end up clambering up a wall face in third- person, and firing a rope arrow in a quick time event to recover from a forced fall.
    :evil:
pros:
  • Those options include an ‘old school mode’, which ups the difficulty, turns off the UI helpers and entirely removes Garrett’s new Focus abilities.
    Eidos weren’t showing anything of it, but did confirm that The City would act as an openly explorable hub, connecting Garrett’s missions, offering side quests and allowing you to commit ‘generic burglary’ against its inhabitants.
    I smack him across the head with my club, and then I’m beaten to death by a crowd.

I try that again, and again, and I die every time. Eventually, I activate Garrett’s new Focus ability – a limited supply of magic that highlights key areas in a level, which in combat lets you slow time and target specific body parts. I use it to bash a guard in the leg, knocking him to his knees, and complete the manoeuvre with a lethal finishing move. Then another guard who heard the ruckus kills me anyway.

“It’s not a game about fighting,” says Schmidt. “Fighting is a fallback, but for us Thief is about stealing, it’s about stealth.”
hopefully no silly collect-a-thon mini games we're forced to play in order to progress :roll:

feeling decidedly more positive...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/02/r ... ed-hidden/
Review: Thief reboot should have stayed hidden
Incoherent writing, braindead AI, and too much running around hamper the sneaking.

Let's be honest: naming a game Thief brings some expectations along with it. This Eidos Montreal-developed reboot of the classic franchise doesn't share the development pedigree of either of the first two Thief titles (Looking Glass Studios) or Thief: Deadly Shadows (Ion Storm), but by taking the name, it's placing itself in the same lineage as those well-remembered progenitors of the stealth genre.

The new Thief is separated by almost ten years from the last game in the series. Game design has come a long way in that time, and stealth gameplay specifically has come to be a commonplace addition to many other genres since the first Thief helped originate the concept in 1998. Rather than comparing this reboot to the outdated memories (and the very different gaming landscape) of those original titles, then, it's better to ask whether Thief can stand on its own as a modern game, regardless of the baggage of its franchise.

In short, the answer is no. It really can't.

Follow the link for further reading. Basically it boils down to this:
Spoiler (show)
Verdict: Go buy Dishonored instead. If you already own Dishonored, just play it again.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Listening to the reviews it's not a game for me ...and I hated Dishonored.
My Steam Screenshots

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Seen the TotalBiscuit review - looks okay actually.
Not a genre I particularly enjoy but I did put a few hours into Thief: The Dark Project back in the day.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Watching the 20 minute gameplay video they released, I had to clench at a stress ball. It was awful.

I am worried about the next Deus Ex now. :(
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Molean

Post by Molean »

Aaaaand I will be skipping…Thief 2 will always be the best for me…such fond memories I have of that game…
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

hmm... must admit it's starting to sound more and more like Assasin's Thief than Thief... :| will wait for more reviews...
Molean wrote:such fond memories I have of that game…
have you dabbled with The Dark Mod?
Molean

Post by Molean »

Molean wrote:such fond memories I have of that game…
rustypup wrote:have you dabbled with The Dark Mod?
My oh my...I shall be giving that a try! Thanks for the info...
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Yeah I saw some of the attacks. I dont remember using lethal arrows in the previous ones? I remember the water arrows and the comics surrounding them.

Maybe Skyrim and the thieves guild is the better game?
My Steam Screenshots