Discuss General Game development(No programming required)

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

capanno wrote:You could try box.net or youtube in the future. Really nice services.

edit: your download link is broken. Only downloads 12kb.
After uploading it last night I downloaded it again to make sure it works correctly it does must be a problem on your side because I just downloaded it again..... :wink:

Update well starting to add footstep background noise and music and editing the menu.I will also change some of the weapons sounds and weapons and change the AI a little to make it silghtly harder to kill and a more powerfull arsenal.

Busy uploading a 4.5mb 1min video showcasing a little more.As you can see from the screenshots the lightmapping have changed some what...to what I think suites the level the best.I'm busy with the last section of the level now overall play should be about 10mins having to search for a key
and shooting an hidden enemy to open a door to complete the level.
Like I said this is not the best engine to be working with for a game so I'm trying to make the best of it which doesn't look bad at all.

But the furture version of this engine will knock your socks off so not even 3Dgame studio pro edition will get close that is if they even make it to Direct X10 late next year.

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

capanno

Post by capanno »

OK.

It seems to have a nice arcady feel to it.

1. I think the player moving speed can be pushed up a tiny notch.
2. The enemy animation looks funny.
3. Reload sounds, but no animation.

Nice work.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

capanno wrote:OK.

It seems to have a nice arcady feel to it.

2. The enemy animation looks funny.
3. Reload sounds, but no animation.

Nice work.
Graphics...??? Level design....???
Works fine if you press shift it runs...The AI at this stage are extreme push overs...for now at least :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
capanno

Post by capanno »

Looks good. The level design is quite good, if a bit pale in colour. I dont know if you have some shiny things in there, but it looks pretty dull.

The AI are total noobs. Reminds me of ostriches. :lol:
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

capanno wrote:Looks good. The level design is quite good, if a bit pale in colour. I dont know if you have some shiny things in there, but it looks pretty dull.

The AI are total noobs. Reminds me of ostriches. :lol:
Yip I know tell me about it...trust me when I say the AI will get a lot harder

Dullness nothing much I can do about it's due to the engine constraint....but I am working on getting better textures....

Some thing like this...???

*Edit
A screenshot from the video for those to lazy to download.... :wink:
http://w10.easy-share.com/703821.html

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

What Have I been upto lately. Here.
Still busy with my nvidia entry which should be done next week some time.

Part of the level layout for the compo. :wink:

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Great news the engine that I'm using just got great updates and is starting to look so much more pro after these updates......Have a look and tell me what you think.....???

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

last update for this year.

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Well haven’t posted any thing useful in a while and so much has changed over the last few years. Yes this thread is almost 3 years old!

On the 23 of March 2004 the idea was to start a thread for people who wanted to learn game development or wanted to talk about it. It got side tracked and ended up as my project log for a game I have been developing for the last three years.

And as I have said before I would like to do the same again. An almost fresh start if you want and get people involved again. The general idea was to explain a little about game development and getting started. I will be doing the same again. This will not be a tutorial but rather a guide how to get started. So let’s get started.

Game development isn’t just about making games. Before a game world is build a tool set and a game document has to be written. Not a lot of people no where to get started. Most starting developers insist that it’s going to cost a lot to get started it doesn’t have to be expensive. So I will be looking a completely open source approach and a cost effective approach.

Open source tools available on the market right now have better support and choices compared to a few years back. This does have it’s drawbacks like having to pay for a full licence if you intend on making a commercial package. But looking in the right places and reading the disclaimer could save you a lot of time and effort.

Before choosing a toolset for your development you would need to decide what programming language you will be using there are quite a few available each with there pros and cons. I will not list them you should already know a few of them. I will however say that you should choose the language that you will use for the full development cycle carefully.Because you will not be unable to change that midway in the development cycle.

Second is to decide for what platform you would like to build a game for be it windows mac or linux or all three at once. Again this is also some thing that can’t be changed midway development you can but this will mean starting a fresh.

This is not always a bad idea but could assist in a better game but is not always recommended. Some times not all is lost models and levels can be transferred to the new software.

A normal toolset can consist of many tools from different companies or a single package for one company.

A normal toolset can consist of the following tools
A 3D engine precompiled or source code
A Level editor
A Model editor
A Sound editor
A Graphics editing program
A Source code complier(depends on language chosen)
These are the 6 basic tools one needs to build a beginners game from start to finish. But a full production could use a lot more tools for example a tool to reduce polys on a model or tools that do specific tasks.

A good 3D engine to start with.
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html

a good sound editor
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

a good 3D model editor
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=18995
Blender

A good level editor
http://www.genesis3d.com/faq.php

a good graphics editor
Gimp

A good C++ complier
Bloodshed

There you have it a complete Open source solution one could use for development.

I will be writing a guide a little later on for a cost effective solution.
I will also be writing a guide for a complete development package where no programming is required at all.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=12314 Sad news for indie developers

Will new features in Windows Vista have a chilling effect on indie PC game development? In this exclusive Gamasutra opinion piece, WildTangent founder and CEO Alex St. John highlights obstructive security controls embedded in Vista that threaten to do just that.

"I run a business called WildTangent, publishing online games from all the top casual game developers including Atari, Nickelodeon, PlayFirst, iWin, Popcap and many others with all the leading PC OEM’s including Dell, HP, Gateway and Toshiba. Collectively, we had to get a catalog of over 300 downloadable games compatible with dozens of Vista PC configurations shipping to 25 million consumers this year.

Our Vista saga began almost two years ago when Microsoft communicated to OEM’s that Vista would be shipping “imminently,” and that Windows XP would no longer be available as an OS option once Vista was released. So while the rest of the Internet and game development community went about their business safe in the knowledge that Vista was far away and many years from achieving sufficient consumer market share to merit special attention, my business was plunged into the heart of Vista migration in order to be ready to ship our game service and hundreds of games with all new Vista PC’s.

We have found many of the security changes planned for Vista alarming and likely to present sweeping challenges for PC gaming, especially for online distributed games. The central change that impacts all downloadable applications in Vista is the introduction of Limited User Accounts. LUA’s can already be found in Windows XP, but nobody uses them because of the onerous restrictions they place on usability. In Vista, LUA’s are mandatory and inescapable. Although Microsoft made some effort to soften the obstructions LUA’s place in the path of installing software in Vista, they still present a tremendous obstacle to downloadable game distribution and game compatibility with Vista in general.

The principal user experience problem with LUA’s is that when a consumer wants to download and install a game demo off the Internet, they must first click past the IE warning dialogs, and then respond to the security elevation dialog Vista pops up requiring an admin account name and password to enable the software installation.

For boxed games, this may not be super intrusive because consumers purchase relatively few boxed titles annually, and have already paid for the game at the point that they experience the elevation dialog. For downloadable games that come with a free trial, this presents a major obstacle to sales and distribution because it means that consumers surfing to find a game they like will be faced with an elevation dialog per game demo they want to download and try. The same will be true for core gamers surfing free downloadable demos. The frustration value of this experience is akin to what it would be like if you had to enter a username and password per song you wanted to try in Apple iTunes.

The intrusive dialogs are also oddly pointless, because Vista's frequent warning dialogs do nothing to differentiate legitimate commercial software from known hazardous products, so consumers will still mistakenly install malware. Kids will either have to ask their parents to respond to elevation dialogs per download they want to try, or have their own elevation account and password and continue to download whatever they want.

Vista’s obstructive security architecture extends into the new Vista Game Explorer and parental control system. The Vista Game Explorer is a top level Start Menu link to a new specialized folder in Vista specifically designed for managing games. It is intended to be the analog to the My Pictures and My Music folders found in Windows XP. Instead of being a link to a standard folder that happens to contain games, Microsoft “added some value” to the Game Explorer by binding it to a new parental control system in Vista.

The problem starts with installing your game and Vista and registering it with the Game Explorer. Unlike the parental control system, the Game Explorer is extremely prominent to consumers who are likely to expect to find the games they install in Vista listed there after installation. Microsoft has supplied compatibility listings for legacy games which will automatically recognize and register them with the Game Explorer when they are installed.

One of the pieces of information a game has to supply to register with Game Explorer is a ESRB rating. Games that do not supply a rating will be subject to the “Not Rated” parental control setting. Since games are “trusted” to supply accurate ratings information, one might expect that they are also trusted to handle parental messaging themselves. Not so, any game that registers with Game Explorer becomes “subject” to Vista parental controls which will proceed to block the game from running and offer to delete the link to the game if you try to run it from anywhere on the system other than within the Game Explorer.

The heavy handed implementation of parental controls presents several problems for PC game developers. First, most free family and casual games are “unrated” because the ESRB rating service, designed for multimillion dollar boxed titles, is too expensive for most small casual game developers. Any parent concerned enough about the games their kids are downloading online to use Vista’s parental control system are likely to block “unrated” content and break most family appropriate content that can be found online. Note that Vista’s parental control system does not apply to web games and is not accessible from the browser so parents who expect them to protect their kids from “all” online game content may be in for a shock.

Interestingly, the obscure warning dialog that Vista presents offering to delete your game icon when you try to launch it is not the same warning Microsoft makes for the games they supply to the Game Explorer. So although we filed this problem as a bug during the Vista Beta, the only games Microsoft “fixed” it for were their own.

One can only speculate as to what Microsoft was thinking when they made the Game Explorer, because the only useful context where parental controls work is when a consumer installs a game from a CD where presumably, in the case of young children, the parents checked the ESRB rating before buying it. The need for a highly specialized search folder for games is strange, since most consumers only own a few games. The greatest need for managing a long list of games and parental controls is for online content search and discovery, which the Game Explorer doesn’t support.

Since the Game Explorer is also inexplicably hard coded into Vista and “secured” from any modification, nobody can presumably fix its problems or otherwise augment it other than Microsoft. Considering the effort Microsoft must have invested in making the Game Explorer this onerous and immutable, it seems plausible that it was intended as a place holder for a subsequent game service offering from Microsoft.

In the interest of full disclosure I should make it clear that in a previous life time I was responsible for all of Microsoft’s OS strategy for games and media, from writing the original DirectX development plan, to managing Microsoft’s relationships with the industries leading game developers. 10 years after launching DirectX 1.0, I still have strong opinions and feelings about how to make Windows a great game platform, and probably feel a stronger sense of pique than most when I see Microsoft making careless or callous mistakes that impact game developers.

It’s perhaps ironic that I run my own online game publishing company now and have become a dependent customer of the platform and technologies I once worked to create. Some of you might call it “justice” -- if it is, I wish it for my successors working on Vista."
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Can you give us some updates on tour game wizardofid ?
Rather load the vidz on youtube plz.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Vexo wrote:Can you give us some updates on tour game wizardofid ?
Rather load the vidz on youtube plz.

Here :wink:
http://www.pcformat.co.za/modules.php?n ... 7&start=30
wizardofid

Re: Discuss General Game development(No programming required

Post by wizardofid »

So it's been 7 years I haven't stopped at all just been moving along at a snails pace.I do however want to necro this thread and show what progress have been made in the last 5 years.

I have moved in a slightly different direction, I don't per say do game development, I am a content creator now for various engines, and been making good money of creations of said content, I am in the process of creatiing a new content for various engines.

I thought I share the progress made.

"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Share away I'll just have to go look at it later where all pics arent blocked
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Slick.
Minor OCD moment: right at the end, there are 2 yellow floor lights that look a bit off. The shine on the floor is too far from the source.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

thanks mr wolf.

Still very much a WIP, will triple and double check, every thing once done :p

already have a newer version, albeit crappy quality

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Hi. Any news, wiz?
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Sorry I am super busy with all the projects I have to shuffle I have since completed last project had a few sales and moved on to the next project which will be completed soon some eye candy of that project.Albeit updating at such a sad time, regardless, wish I could have been here a lot more often, but between the game dev forums, hardware reviewing(given that up) personal projects and freelance projects, and running my own business I have had very little time for my self, Have NDA project due in 1 month.

Any ways some things to perv over.

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

long time no post been busy with the new engine I have moved over to from the same company that did the previous one, actually been spending the last couple of weeks on a demo entry for a comp, so far so good :D

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Looking pretty good! Are you generating the vegetation procedurally?

Demo? You mean like scene?
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

grass is rendered procedurally, with a vegmask, no a actual demo level to include with the software when it is out of beta to release on steam.
wizardofid

Re: Discuss General Game development(No programming required)

Post by wizardofid »

Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Discuss General Game development(No programming required)

Post by Tribble »

Oh cool - often what really makes a game special is the environment you are playing in. Haven't looked at them all yet - but will.

This is my favourite so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMZ4Zmu3aSE

A few boxes and items we can jump on or hide behind - and it would be a great big map for CSGO
Last edited by Tribble on 28 Mar 2020, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.