Local Steam content server coming to WebAfrica!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Local Steam content server coming to WebAfrica!

Post by StarBound »

Yeah but for the moment we do pay. And I would have loved to have some of those games. The full Farcry 2 with all dlc for only $10. But data cost will be higher than the game. Deus Ex, I am so longing for this game again for only $7 but again data cost is more than the game. Our biggest snag point is our providers. I dont see how we can provide the world cup with full hd feed if we cant even stream SD videos.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

StarBound wrote:Yeah but for the moment we do pay. And I would have loved to have some of those games. The full Farcry 2 with all dlc for only $10. But data cost will be higher than the game. Deus Ex, I am so longing for this game again for only $7 but again data cost is more than the game. Our biggest snag point is our providers. I dont see how we can provide the world cup with full hd feed if we cant even stream SD videos.
starbound, why don't you be smart, and buy the game so it's in your games list. And when this webafrica thing is up and running, do the download then
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

StarBound wrote:Yeah but for the moment we do pay. And I would have loved to have some of those games. The full Farcry 2 with all dlc for only $10. But data cost will be higher than the game. Deus Ex, I am so longing for this game again for only $7 but again data cost is more than the game. Our biggest snag point is our providers. I dont see how we can provide the world cup with full hd feed if we cant even stream SD videos.
Yeah.

The reason I posted it here is because I was speculating how cool it would be if we HAD our local content server. But agreed, currently bandwidth in RSA is posing the problem, as it has for the last million years. But you can still buy it now and download later.
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

M1ke wrote:
Xiphan wrote:Talk about making it difficult to decide whether I want to stay with you guys. :|
You can always use prepaid to try-it-out first. I am.
I might do that or I might just keep my current DSL Complete package. But due to a stuff up I recently experienced with them I honestly don't want to stay with them, I've been driven to the point where I'm willing to pay the R600 fee to cancel my contract. :(
M1ke wrote:EDIT: This server better open up soon :twisted: Steam just started a massive Holiday Sale. I mean, GTA IV for $7.49 ?!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177443
With Christmas fast approaching, pretty much everyone has initiated a holiday sale of some sort. As usual though, Steam has outdone them all, heavily discounting games like Mirror's Edge ($4.99), Grand Theft Auto IV ($7.49) and S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl ($1.99).
Those games are just the daily specials, which are scheduled to expire approximately 36 hours from the time of this post. Valve plans to continue offering special deals into next year.

In the meantime, you can save 50 percent on Ubisoft's entire catalog, 33 percent on the 2K Games catalog, and 66 percent on the Unreal Deal Pack. You can find the complete list of available savings here.

The holiday sale ends January 3. Merry Christmas!
http://www.steampowered.com
Yeah, I saw some of those specials and succumbed to quite a few of them too. :oops: I actually bought that Unreal Deal Pack, even if just to get Unreal 2 again, as well as DoD Source, Titan Quest Gold, Torchlight (Fortunately because I already had the demo this thing had nothing else I needed to download once I bought the game. :P), and lastly The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. But looking at this:

I kinda need that free server up asap! :|
WAJohnathan

Post by WAJohnathan »

I will be purchasing a couple of games now however I will only begin downloading them once the server is ready be to used :) (Only thing would be to resist the temptation to download them now :P)

The server is nearly ready and we are finalizing a few things on our side at the moment in preparation to be made publicly available
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Because when it comes to SA it takes forever to actually impliment stuff. That 1998 fibre optics are only now coming into play. I'm not gonna buy games now and 10 years down the line download the stuff when it finally becomes a reality. In SA you wait till something is carved in stone, nailed to the floor and written in blood before you can take it to the bank.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

StarBound wrote:Because when it comes to SA it takes forever to actually impliment stuff. That 1998 fibre optics are only now coming into play. I'm not gonna buy games now and 10 years down the line download the stuff when it finally becomes a reality. In SA you wait till something is carved in stone, nailed to the floor and written in blood before you can take it to the bank.
Truest statement I've heard in a while.

And rather apt. Just learned that PCF Forums aren't classified as a local website. I.e. I can't browse it with my local only account. Same with systemshock.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

M1ke wrote:
StarBound wrote:Because when it comes to SA it takes forever to actually impliment stuff. That 1998 fibre optics are only now coming into play. I'm not gonna buy games now and 10 years down the line download the stuff when it finally becomes a reality. In SA you wait till something is carved in stone, nailed to the floor and written in blood before you can take it to the bank.
Truest statement I've heard in a while.

And rather apt. Just learned that PCF Forums aren't classified as a local website. I.e. I can't browse it with my local only account. Same with systemshock.
Quite a bit of irony in that it's cheaper to host a local site overseas than it is to host it locally. :|
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

M1ke wrote:And rather apt. Just learned that PCF Forums aren't classified as a local website. I.e. I can't browse it with my local only account. Same with systemshock.
Server's located in Germany, that's why. When the people in the English Spam Thread account for over 50GB per month (that was a year ago though), local hosting is prohibitively expensive. There are some positive movements as far as local hosting goes, but it would have to be extremely competitive compared with international to consider moving things back.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Yeah talking about price, it's funny how ISPs make local cap dirt cheap but local hosting damn expensive, so in all honesty what is the point? :|
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Xiphan wrote:Yeah talking about price, it's funny how ISPs make local cap dirt cheap but local hosting damn expensive, so in all honesty what is the point? :|
Local cap only allows access to local stuff. Local hosting still has to allow access from the outside. Atleast, that's why I assume it's expensive.
WAJohnathan

Post by WAJohnathan »

The steam server is technically up. It is currently firewalled off to the public and streaming and will be made available in approximately two weeks if not sooner :)
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

WAJohnathan wrote:The steam server is technically up.
YEAAAAAAAH!!!!!!
two weeks if not sooner :)
NOOOOOOO!!!!
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

WAJohnathan wrote:The steam server is technically up. It is currently firewalled off to the public and streaming and will be made available in approximately two weeks if not sooner :)
Please explain what you mean by that? :?

Otherwise in two weeks time I can look forward to downloading The Witcher. :P Just outta curiosity how will people force their Steam client to go through WA's content server? I know you can select Africa in the list or will another option come up once the server is fully up?

Lastly are you allowed to tell us what the specs are for a Steam content server? :)
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

Any updates?

It's been quite a while now... and nothing.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

yeah I am eager to get downloading. WA? whats happening?
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah. A server would be great right about now. I just bought all the Company Of Heroes games on Steam for $12, but it's a 9GB download...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yeah. A server would be great right about now. I just bought all the Company Of Heroes games on Steam for $12, but it's a 9GB download...
I did the exact same thing. LOL. dying to play but without the local server it will never happen.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

KillerByte wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yeah. A server would be great right about now. I just bought all the Company Of Heroes games on Steam for $12, but it's a 9GB download...
I did the exact same thing. LOL. dying to play but without the local server it will never happen.
Is this server ever going to materialize. A simple update will do, just let us know.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Webafrica dropping the ball on this... big time.

As Starbound wrote earlier....
Because when it comes to SA it takes forever to actually impliment stuff. That 1998 fibre optics are only now coming into play. I'm not gonna buy games now and 10 years down the line download the stuff when it finally becomes a reality. In SA you wait till something is carved in stone, nailed to the floor and written in blood before you can take it to the bank.
Epic Fail Post...
WAJohnathan - Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 pm wrote:The steam server is technically up. It is currently firewalled off to the public and streaming and will be made available in approximately two weeks if not sooner :)
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

KillerByte wrote:
I don't know how but after leaving this game to download over just the past two evenings it's already finished! :shock:

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Xiphan wrote:
KillerByte wrote:
I don't know how but after leaving this game to download over just the past two evenings it's already finished! :shock:

It's not actually a whole 9GB download. I figured that out after downloading it all. It's probably about 6-7GBs of downloads, and the rest of the 9GB is stuff that's been downloaded that's been unpacked or installed. At least that's my theory :)
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

No, your theory is correct. The size it displays when you start the installation is how much hard drive space you will need for the installed game and should not be taken as an indication of how big the actual download is.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Xiphan wrote:No, your theory is correct. The size it displays when you start the installation is how much hard drive space you will need for the installed game and should not be taken as an indication of how big the actual download is.
Yep, but sometimes the download is really close to the specified space required. Tropico 3, for example, stated that it needed something like 2.2GB, and it downloaded pretty much exactly 2.2GB.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Xiphan wrote:No, your theory is correct. The size it displays when you start the installation is how much hard drive space you will need for the installed game and should not be taken as an indication of how big the actual download is.
Yep, but sometimes the download is really close to the specified space required. Tropico 3, for example, stated that it needed something like 2.2GB, and it downloaded pretty much exactly 2.2GB.
My guess is that it downloaded all the files straight into the folder, whereas with other games it downloads the files in Valve's gcf file format, which are most likely compressed, and then only extracts them into the games folder.