Unique Sound Issue (Win7)

Any software related topics go in here.
DarkStar

Unique Sound Issue (Win7)

Post by DarkStar »

Hey, all..

I've got a problem with a client's PC, where sound doesn't work (It's as if it doesn't pick up the sound device.)

The strange part is system and Windows sounds work fine. When opening folders it makes the 'click' noise, and sound checks all work.

However, outside that, nothing works. IE9, Chrome, even Media Player says there's no sound device.

We've reinstalled and updated drivers, done Win Updates, etc.

Has anyone come across something similar? We're at a complete loss (We're trying to avoid reformatting at the moment, but the client has been informed that this is the last option left).
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
doo_much

Re: Unique Sound Issue (Win7)

Post by doo_much »

Friend had this. (So its not unique!)
What’s happened is that the something has changed a registry value which give users rights to make changes to the Windows audio process. And in this case ‘users’ doesn’t refer to people logging into your machine, it’s other programs as well. By locking them out of the process in question, they can no longer playback sound.

You can check this by opening up Regedit and going to HkeyLocalMachine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>MMDevices>Audio>Renderer and right clicking any of the keys in this stack. In the Permissions tab of the properties dialogue, there should be a user called ‘AudioEndpointBuilder’ and another one called ‘Audioserv’. If they aren’t present, something has gone awry.
Fix here.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

So - Any feedback Darkstar?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I haven't had a chance to try this, but the thing that makes me a bit wary if this will work is that the sound icon in the taskbar is working 100%. It's not crossed out or anything.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

K
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey