TelkomSA Incompetence

Any software related topics go in here.
FTS-FightTheSYStem

TelkomSA Incompetence

Post by FTS-FightTheSYStem »

Hi, I'll intro myself another time. Are U aware that TelkomSA is marketing and selling Windows7 incompatible software?? I'm referring in particular to the Netgear Modem/ Router installation Software. I was told this by the telkom "technicians" themselves, on more than one occasion when I called in to inquire about my often slow and intermittent internet connection. Why is this?? I have a 2 year contract with them. They are marketing products that we cannot use, selling it to areas with very poor "reception" and areas that cannot be serviced. How do I go about rectifying this matter???. I am tired of the same excuses and intolerable incompetence. Please assist and thank you in advance.

Fight the SYStem
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: TelkomSA Incompetence

Post by StarBound »

Welcome to South Africa.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Short answer - You can't.

Even their Diginet devision(that is one of their flagship products) is useless. Tried and failed 2 times to upgrade ours from a 640k to a 768k. To give you an idea, the 640k was around R8k a month. No-one cares about your little wireless problem, you are stuck with it for 2 years, and they are going to milk you.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Nuke wrote:Short answer - You can't.

Wrong. Maybe.

I'm assuming that you are a private individual, and that you took the contract after 1 April 2011, meaning you should be covered by the Consumer Protection Act?
So if you can prove your case - meaning not base it on hearsay from some idiot Telscum techie that possibly doesn't know what he's talking about - you could at the very least cancel the contract.

Juristic persons with a turnover of more than R2M are not covered by the Act iirc.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

FTS-FightTheSYStem wrote:I'm referring in particular to the Netgear Modem/ Router installation Software.
i'm sorry... what?... is this a wireless router?

1) these modems have bare-bones web pages used for setup and management - what's the software for?
2) software has nothing to do with the speed or quality of the line - what package are you on?

now, i'm all for throwing raccoons at telkom but this sounds more like an unsubstantiated whine than anything else.. (saying telkom's service is bad is redundant...)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

TelkomSA Incompetence

Post by Monty »

Did you know that my coffee machine manufacturer also sells its coffee machines without windows 7 compatible software?! The horror!

The software for a modem or switch is not made by telkom, it is done by the manufacturer - so netgear does the netgear software for its devices, dlink does their own software and so on.

That being said, you dont need any fancy software to use the routers/modems if you connect to them by ethernet, you just need a web browser (*gasp*) to configure it.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Monty wrote: That being said, you dont need any fancy software to use the routers/modems if you connect to them by ethernet, you just need a web browser (*gasp*) to configure it.
To be fair, the "incompatible software" could be Internet Explorer.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

For some weird reason I don't think the OP is ever going to come back...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

doo_much wrote:I don't think the OP is ever going to come back...
well, to be fair, fighting THE SYSTEM can take a lot out of a person...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Stuart wrote:
Monty wrote: That being said, you dont need any fancy software to use the routers/modems if you connect to them by ethernet, you just need a web browser (*gasp*) to configure it.
To be fair, the "incompatible software" could be Internet Explorer.
Yep, I've had this before where only IE 7 with updated flash would display the config area correctly. Win7 ships with IE 8.

Edit: and come to think of it, it was a Telkom supplied IP camera. :shock:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
FTS-FightTheSYStem

A BIG THANK YOU to those who offered me very user-friendly advice. I will follow up on said advice.(An Honourable mention goes to starbound, nuke, doo much). I appreciate IT. Now, back to the real matter at hand. I am not a hacker. The little PC knowledge I have is self-taught and self-read (PC FORMAT). I could not configure my modem using IE but could using MozFoX. RE: the SoftWare - What is it for then?? Wasting Time and Money to package a disk that is loaded with 270megs of unneeded software is still strongly implying a fair degree of incompetence. I have no agenda of any sort against TelkomSA, unfortunately TelkomSA is my ISP.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Monty wrote:if you connect to them by ethernet, you just need a web browser (*gasp*) to configure it.
N00b. Telnet. :P
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

FTS-FightTheSYStem wrote:
Damn.

I was wrong.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

FTS-FightTheSYStem wrote:still strongly implying a fair degree of incompetence
This is news to you? You'll probably be interested to know, then, that Nelson Mandela was released from prison.

Yes, we know that Telkom is incompetent. But if your connection is slow and intermittent, it has nothing to do with any software that Netgear may have happened to bundle with the modem that Telkom gave you.

If you are just here to rant that Telkom is incompetent, I'm sure that mybroadband.co.za will accommodate you. If, however, you would like to try and resolve your slow and intermittent connectivity issues, pack away the software, quit whining about Telkom's well-documented incompetence, and start dealing with Telkom directly regarding your line.
FTS-FightTheSYStem

I thought this was a forum for free advice/ free how-to..but I see that some "people" (and I'm using this reference very liberally) are using it to vent their frustrations at innocent by-standers. If you have taken the time to actually read my post and then digest what was read, then you would have reached the painfully obvious conclusion that after I have tried the traditional avenues on more than six occasions, I am now forced to seek assistance elsewhere.

You must be blessed with an advanced telepathic/empathic ability to be able to detect "ranting" and "whining" from a text typed on a remote desktop sent to a remote forum and ultimately displayed on your monitor. Or maybe you are just experiencing some over-whelming emotional feedback.

And even I know that there are Gigloads of software and tweaks on the "interverse" (internet+universe)(patent/copyright pending) that CAN boost/ enhance or allow for improved download/ upload speeds.

I apologize if I have offended anyone. It is never my intention to do so (not in my nature).

I implore YOU, PLEASE assist me in "fighting the SYStem".

Ps. Thank you to the PC Format/ G3AR Team for allowing me this "soap-box".

....and in conclusion...There is no god...but GOD.
FTS-FightTheSYStem

Ps. I have decided to revert back to Win XP (currently running Win7). Win XP allows for more freedom (especially LAST XP versions) and is not cluttered with the preposterous red-tape the owner-user has to bypass each time he/she wants to tweak his Win7 PC system.

I have also experienced that Win7 is more demanding of RAM.

PPs. Are LAST XP versions safe. I have heard and read that they are riddled with spyware/ trojans??

Thank You for the assist.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

:lol: Will not end well...

Look, you have been told (by the very friendly inhabitants of Spamville) that:
  • Telkom has nothing to do with the software on your router (and that you don't need the crap they supplied extra).
  • Your router (and its software- not the 3rd party crap they supplied, which at any rate has got zero to do with your issue in any case) is not to blame for slow and/or intermittent line speed.
  • Get back on the phone with telkom until they fix your line (YES, for the 7th time- and even the 8th and 9th if need be)
What do you expect from us? To fix it for you? :roll:
You wanted advice, and we did give you advice. No need to get on your soap box if you don't like what you're reading.

And another thing- the only 'late' versions of XP that are spyware and trojan infected are those that will earn you an instaban if you mention them...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I think FTS-FightTheSYStem is a pretty cool guy. eh fights the SYStem and doesnt afraid of anything
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

FTS-FightTheSYStem wrote:If you have taken the time to actually read my post and then digest what was read, then you would have reached the painfully obvious conclusion that after I have tried the traditional avenues on more than six occasions, I am now forced to seek assistance elsewhere.
More than six occasions? Really? Wow, I don't think anyone has ever had to deal with Telkom as much as you have!

Seriously dude, if you want resolutions you'll probably have to be more persistent than six occasions more than six occasions. Alternatively, download some of those "Gigloads of software and tweaks" from the "interverse" and your problem will be magically solved.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

FTS-FightTheSYStem wrote:PPs. Are LAST XP versions safe. I have heard and read that they are riddled with spyware/ trojans??
Ja, be careful. Any XP CD that comes with a service pack included is riddled with all sorts of nasties that will make your Internet even slower. I'm afraid you're going to have to hunt down an original, service-packless XP CD if you want to be safe.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I'd say go Windows 98 - it is runs super fast on new hardware and the TCP/IP stack is uncluttered so you get really quick internet.
Trust me, I'm a moderator.
FTS-FightTheSYStem

"Telkom has nothing to do with the software on your router"....that's like saying your local Superstore is not responsible for the rancid meat they sell you..and which you obviously enjoy. .... that's like saying the government (which I'm sure you voted for) has nothing to do with the exorbitant charges bank/financial institutions are demanding of us.

There should be an obligatory IQ test before one is allowed access to forums such as these. It will solve the problem of know-it-alls wasting precious time and space.

You still haven't answered my question. I will practice patience and hope that someone slightly more reasonable will assist me.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

There should be an obligatory IQ test before one is allowed access to forums such as these. It will solve the problem of know-it-alls wasting precious time and space.
:lol: Oh the irony!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

FTS-FightTheSYStem wrote:"Telkom has nothing to do with the software on your router"....that's like saying your local Superstore is not responsible for the rancid meat they sell you..and which you obviously enjoy. .... you must be a vegetarian then that's like saying the government (which I'm sure you voted for) has nothing to do with the exorbitant charges bank/financial institutions are demanding of us.

You still haven't answered my question. I will practice patience and hope that someone slightly more reasonable will assist me.
Are you retarded? :x
Words fail me... Irony indeed.

Master troll is masterful. I'm done.

Edit: is this one of them social experiments again by.. who was it... Kronos, I think :?:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

It was maxxis.

:happy1: