StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Re: Blackberry Thread...

Post by StarPhoenix »

My brother recently opted for a BB Torch 9810 rather than an iPhone 4S [MTN salesman told him that he would not be able to download iOS applications in South Africa.....<cough>.

For the first two weeks or so, he despised it. Now he seems to have warmed to it sufficuently to have urged me to get some manner of low-end BB when I upgrade in November. I wonder what changed his mind.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

StarPhoenix wrote:I wonder what changed his mind.
Despite what yo may have heard, they do occasionally come out with good handsets.

I do love my android phone. I love it because I can download all sorts of applications for it (hell I even got a "quit smoking" app), but for pure communications its is hard to beat RIM devices.

Yes we have WhatsApp, but BBM is included in your data bundle. Yes we do have a facebook app, but it is only now catching up with the BB one in terms of functionality.

Also, my GFs BB battery lasts a week. My android lasts 2 days if I turn off my data connection, 1 day with it on.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I'd love to know how many people actually like their BB's, not tolerate, but like using them. I just don't see how it's possible. Every time I use my fiance's one I want to break something it's so frustrating...

She's finally also had enough of the things constant hanging and horrible UI, so will be taking over my iPhone 4 when I get the 5 later this year.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

ryanrich wrote:I'd love to know how many people actually like their BB's, not tolerate, but like using them.
I do.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

one is a toy

the other its a tool...

i don't "like" these phones any more than i "like" a spanner... aside from the remote management, secure comms and push data offered by BB which has zero competition from anyone else...

i battle to understand what it is about the UI that everyone and their cousin is whining about - i have had numerous units and only one gave hassle before i, (the horror!), upgraded the OS...

seriously. aside from regurgitating the manufactured FUD out there, what is it about the UI that makes the units unusable?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:seriously. aside from regurgitating the manufactured FUD out there, what is it about the UI that makes the units unusable?
NO SHINEY SHINEY!!!

Also, static, non-flipping displays that eat at resources are SOOOOO yesterday... get with the times man!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:I'd love to know how many people actually like their BB's, not tolerate, but like using them. I just don't see how it's possible. Every time I use my fiance's one I want to break something it's so frustrating...
Power users who demand super functionality from their phones probably do not like BB. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of average users with BB's enjoy using them.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:Power users
disagree... most "smartphone" users fall far short of being "power" users... they like specs and bragging rights based on marketing-derived value concepts... when it comes to logging in to a remote server via ssh and actually doing something interesting or doing something vaguely productive... very few and far between...

toys. that's all they are. over-priced, useless-feature-packed toys.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:
ryanrich wrote:I'd love to know how many people actually like their BB's, not tolerate, but like using them. I just don't see how it's possible. Every time I use my fiance's one I want to break something it's so frustrating...
Power users who demand super functionality from their phones probably do not like BB. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of average users with BB's enjoy using them.
Yeah I guess for average users who are used to such phones they're alright for making calls and texting. In my case though the SO is tired of the constant need to reboot the POS to keep it functioning, and I've heard that from multiple people with BB's so it's not a problem with her handset. I upgraded it to OS 6 the day she got it BTW, which was possibly the longest upgrade process I've ever seen on a mobile phone.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

She's finally also had enough of the things constant hanging and horrible UI, so will be taking over my iPhone 4 when I get the 5 later this year.
I loved using my BB - until I got my S2. Now setting up my son's is a real pain and a hassle.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Tribble wrote:

I loved using my BB - until I got my S2. Now setting up my son's is a real pain and a hassle.
Indeed. Most users that switch to a proper phone have that experience. The amount of people here at Vodacom that swore by the BB's over the past 2 years and have now switched platforms because of their hassles is staggering.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

And with the leadership of RIM crumbling - it doesn't look good
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

ryanrich wrote: I guess for average users who are used to such phones they're alright for making calls and texting
ryanrich wrote: Most users that switch to a proper phone have that experience.
so.. apple users are automatically above average and iphones are magically more "proper" than, say, a samsung, nokia or BB? :lol: the language of the technophile... easiest mark out there..
Tribble wrote:And with the leadership of RIM crumbling - it doesn't look good
remind me as to what does this has to do with the product?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Tribble wrote:And with the leadership of RIM crumbling - it doesn't look good
Well hopefully the new CEO can bring about some change, although he seems set on sticking to their game plan, which isn't working so well.

New Blackberry CEO dashes hopes for quick turnaround - Shares down more than 8 percent

StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

rustypup wrote:one is a toy

the other its a tool...
Could it be argued that most gadgets are mere toys in the "wrong" hands?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot