Any software related topics go in here.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: Blackberry Thread...

Post by Bladerunner »

DeathStrike wrote:as if people PING you your phone don't stop vibrating.
Options -> Vibrate on ping [check/uncheck]
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Prime

Re: Why the Blackberry outage was a good thing...

Post by Prime »

GreyWolf wrote:
rustypup wrote:good question. i prefer to have to swap out keyboards when i want caps/symbols... this is waaay more efficient than simply typing a key... never mind tapping shortcut keys when perusing mail/messages
What are you talking about? BBs also have an "alt" button because they can't fit everything on their keyboards. At least on the touch screens you can see what keys you are about to press.
rustypup wrote:unless you have fingers like a gorilla, i would strongly suggest you seek urgent medical attention if you have trouble using a BB qwerty keypad... :/
some empirical evidence:
bb button size: 5mm x 5mm
touch screen button size: 9mm x 6mm
area of my thumb 15mm x 10mm

Not only are the buttons easier to hit, they are also more visible i.e. I am not hiding 4 buttons underneath my thumb.
Is that why rusty never uses capitals? :scratch:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

HOLY COW: RIM Has Totally Collapsed In The U.S.

HTC shipped more smartphones to retailers in the U.S. than any other company last quarter, surpassing both Samsung and Apple, according to Canalys.

HTC shipped 5.7 million smartphones, while Samsung was at 5.2 million and Apple at 4.9 million.
That's more good news for Android, coming on the heels of Friday's report that Samsung passed Apple in total worldwide phone shipments.

But the real loser here isn't Apple. It's Research In Motion.

We talked Canalys VP and analyst Chris Jones about the report, and he cautioned us not to place too much stock in Apple's third-place finish, as sales were suppressed last quarter by the rumors that a new iPhone would soon be coming out. He noted that Apple has usually seen big spikes when a new iPhone is released, and he expects that to happen this quarter as well with the iPhone 4S.

The real loser becomes much clearer when you look at year-ago stats for the top five phone makers, which Jones shared with us.

HTC and Samsung have both grown their market shares more than 50%, while Apple's has shrunk slightly. But RIM? It's down by almost two-thirds.

Check it out:

US smart phone market shares
  • Vendor Q3 2011 Q3 2010
    HTC 24% 14%
    Samsung 21% 14%
    Apple 20% 26%
    RIM 9% 24%
    Motorola 8% 13%
    Others 18% 9%
    Grand Total 100% 100%

Branded devices only. HTC and Samsung provide select devices under carrier brands and Google (Nexus S)

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/holy-cow ... z1cR3RKawi
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

That is kind of sad.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I have a Blackberry.

Nothing of value was lost.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

DarkStar wrote:There is, of course, a compromise.

Get a phone with both a touchscreen and a hardware keyboard?

Personally, I'd much prefer a slide-out keyboard on my phone, as quite often the virtual one takes up too much screen space (This argument is probably being swayed by the fact that I use a HTC WildFire)
QFT

A phone with both a touch screen and a slide-out keyboard is the best of both worlds. You are not bothered by huge touch keyboards taking up half of the screen and I type almost as fast on the cell phone as on a desktop. Browsing is optimised as well with the combo. Some of the new devices have large screens and 4 or 5 row slide-out QWERTY's without being too bulky. I had an HD2 for a while and a large part of the reason I sold it and went back to my Nokia 9300 (arguably with the best ever hardware keyboard) was because the touch keyboard simply doesn't compare to a proper hardware keyboard. When you do a lot of email and sms's on a daily basis you really notice the difference.

I guess I could get used to a Blackberry/E72 keyboard, but the once or twice I have tried typing on them I wanted to kill the phone within seconds.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

So my upgrade options have just come in. I have a choice of the following:
Blackberry Curve 9360
Blackberry Torch 9810
Blackberry Bold 9900

Also have the option of an Iphone 4, Galaxy S and a Galaxy SII.

I have no clue as to which way to go. Had my BB8520 for two years now and have grown fond of Blackberry but feel like I'm missing out on the broader smartphone experience. Also, only BB have free BIS included, would have to bolt on data on the others at an extra cost.

Ahh, decisions
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

If you want a BB, I'd say the Bold 9900.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Think it's a big toss-up between the bold and the updated torch, think the 9360 is more of a replacement of the 8520 I have right now but which has become more of a teenage girls phone than when I first bought it, lol. It is so nice and slim though!
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Jonboy wrote:Think it's a big toss-up between the bold and the updated torch, think the 9360 is more of a replacement of the 8520 I have right now but which has become more of a teenage girls phone than when I first bought it, lol. It is so nice and slim though!
I've heard a lot of people complain in general about the current Torch, but I've never tried using one myself.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

The Bold 9900 is very nice from what I've seen here at work.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Pay a visit to http://www.mobiletypingtest.com and see what you can get.

Best I did after 4 tries was 35 WPM on my Nokia E7.

The line is: Palm Pre may be a serious iPhone competitor. Not.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Bladerunner wrote:
Jonboy wrote:Think it's a big toss-up between the bold and the updated torch, think the 9360 is more of a replacement of the 8520 I have right now but which has become more of a teenage girls phone than when I first bought it, lol. It is so nice and slim though!
I've heard a lot of people complain in general about the current Torch, but I've never tried using one myself.
++

I have one friend who has a Torch. It was his first Blackberry, and he says that it has not been a good first impression.

But again, this is second hand experience.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

These phone have actually all gotten expensive since the Smartphone boom. In Dec 2009, I got the BB8520 plus free BIS on MTN Anytime 200 for R200 pm. You can't even get that for the older phone now. The direct replacement, the 9360 is available for R269 incl. BIS. The Apple IPhone and Galaxy SII are at least R100 more per month and even then extra for data on top of that (and I'm unsure if the latched on 150Mb would even cut it). The HTC Sensation looks really nice but not available.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Jonboy wrote:(and I'm unsure if the latched on 150Mb would even cut it)
I used around 400MB on my iPhone last month. And I have ADSL at home and work. And an iPad on a separate 3G contract.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

One of my friends bought an iPhone 4 few months back on some MTN (Most Terrible Network) package, and after browsing for an hour or so he had already finished his 150MB cap and most of his airtime :shock:
ADT

Post by ADT »

ryanrich wrote:The Bold 9900 is very nice from what I've seen here at work.
:slap:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

In a perfect world, little Miss Android would have a torrid love affair with both Messrs Blackberry and iPhone and produce some illegitimate offspring that packed all the awesomeness that will be Ice Cream Sandwich into something as elegantly packaged as an iPhone (and with its apps) with all the business, email, BBM and security / functionality (and QWERTY) of a Blackberry. I'd call it the iDroidberry
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

So a guy at work is wanting to know which Blackberry is better:

Torch 9810 & Bold Touch 9900

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?id ... hone2=3116

Going by the compare the only thing missing from the Torch 9810 is the Blackberry Maps and he says thats not a issue. So users of these phones what say you? Is the cheaper Torch a good get or should he rather get the more expensive Touch?

/I know nothing about these phones...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56 wrote:So a guy at work is wanting to know which Blackberry is better:

Torch 9810 & Bold Touch 9900

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?id ... hone2=3116

Going by the compare the only thing missing from the Torch 9810 is the Blackberry Maps and he says thats not a issue. So users of these phones what say you? Is the cheaper Torch a good get or should he rather get the more expensive Touch?

/I know nothing about these phones...
I think it would come down to which form factor he prefers. I personally hate those phones that slide up to reveal the keyboard, so I would take the 9900.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:I personally hate those phones that slide up to reveal the keyboard, so I would take the 9900.
Also.. the more movable bits a phone has, the less reliable it will be in the long run. There is a reason that flip/slide phones have basically become extinct.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/19/blackberr ... -confirms/
http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/19/blackberr ... -confirms/

BlackBerry 7 smartphones dying in sleep, company confirms

There have been reports of BlackBerry Bold 9900 and 9930 devices failing to power on after being left to charge all night. Late Friday evening, RIM confirmed the issue by saying a “limited number of customers have reported an issue where their device does not power on.” A RIM spokesperson said the company is “actively working on a software update to resolve this issue.” There’s no word on how many devices are failing, but there seems to be quite a few of them as the company’s support board is filling up with complaints.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

RIM losing the name BBX...

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25127 ... g-bbx-case
Backtracks on trademark
Software company Basis has been granted a temporary restraining order against Research in Motion from using Basis' BBX trademark.

The court decision bars RIM from using the BBX trademark which should have been bad news for RIM. However it seems that RIM appeared to backtrack on using the trademark and was now calling its next generation mobile platform Blackberry 10.

BBX, or Blackberry 10, or what ever else you want to call it, is supposed to be helping RIM revive its BlackBerry franchise. However even before it was installed, the software hit problems.

Albuquerque-based Basis International claims the "BBX" name is protected by trademarks it holds and had earlier threatened to take legal action against RIM unless it stopped using it.

RIM apparently had not been playing ball and appeared ready to go to court over the matter. Basis said RIM had refused requests to stop using the moniker at the DevCon conference, which resulted in the company filing for the temporary restraining order.

It is not clear if RIM has given up completely.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

GreyWolf wrote:
ryanrich wrote:I personally hate those phones that slide up to reveal the keyboard, so I would take the 9900.
Also.. the more movable bits a phone has, the less reliable it will be in the long run. There is a reason that flip/slide phones have basically become extinct.
My Nokia 9300 is still going strong, despite dozens of drops and 5 years of usage. My E90 was still flawless when it was stolen after more than a year of usage. My E7 shows no sign of degradation with regular opening and closing on a daily basis. The E7 has an aluminium casing and sliding mechanism.

Maybe some of the earlier plastic dominated slider phones had much higher failure rates, but I am not sure this is still the case.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Poor crackberry :|

RIM CEOs step down

http://tinyurl.com/79hluck
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~