The Firefox Thread

Any software related topics go in here.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

The Firefox Thread

Post by Ron2K »

Damon Sicore, Senior Director of Platform Engineering at Mozilla, has announced that the company is almost ready to ship Firefox 4. On its mailing list, Mozilla has revealed it has around 160 hard blockers to fix, before proceeding to Release Candidate stage. Both the RC and the final version would arrive in February, according to Sicore.

Mozilla was originally planning on having Firefox 4 out by the end of last year, but it had to delay the release till 2011. Last month, Firefox 4 Beta 8 was released for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux 32-bit/64-bit, with support for 57 languages. Mozilla's roadmap says it still wants to release a Beta 9, a Beta 10, and at least one Release Candidate build before the final version.
Rest of article
Last edited by Ron2K on 22 Jun 2011, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renamed thread to be not version specific.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
PureFire

Re: Firefox 4 out next month?

Post by PureFire »

another article im amazed wasnt posted by DJV.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Using 4.0 beta 8 and it's fantastic.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Does this trump Opera 11? I still haven't seen anything that does...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:Does this trump Opera 11? I still haven't seen anything that does...
IE6 trumps Opera.
Rish_zn

Post by Rish_zn »

JollyJamma wrote:Using 4.0 beta 8 and it's fantastic.
Well, This is embarrassing ain't it.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Stuart wrote:
KALSTER wrote:Does this trump Opera 11? I still haven't seen anything that does...
IE6 trumps Opera.
Don't knock Opera. It's a decent browser.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

I've been using Firefox 4 since beta 1. I'll be using 4 it when it's eventually released.

As much as I love it, its clearly still a beta. In almost every one of the beta releases I've encountered problems.
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

Stuart wrote:
IE6 trumps Opera.
I see the norm that the biggest trolls on PCF are the mods still holds true...

Oh, and on-topic.. Beta 9 is now out...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Firefox would be better if they used that cloud technology to save my bookmarks and plug ins etc.

Edit:

I also heard the funniest rumour that the next IE will kill all other browsers.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Siemens they are implementing that for FF4 (I can already create an account and save all details)
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
jee

Post by jee »

Earlier today, Mozilla announced plans to incorporate a Do Not Track feature into their next browser release, Firefox 4.1. Google also announced a new privacy extension today, but we believe that Mozilla is now taking a clear lead and building a practical way forward for people who want privacy when they browse the web.
Why am I not believing Google?

rest of the article
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Can anyone confirm what the rumour I posted before about the new IE that will kill the other browsers? I think I read it in a graphics design magazine briefly.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

PureFire wrote:another article im amazed wasnt posted by DJV.
1) I don't care much for firefox
2) Have you got some kind of problem or issue with me?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

MyBB Claim: Firefox 4 FINAL (available atm only from the links in that thread)

(I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it really is the FINAL version.)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So it seems that somewhere along the term "RC" started standing for "FINAL."

Not surprising from MyBB, I guess.
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

From what I've heard people with FF 3 installed are able to upgrade to 4.

On top of that, RC1 updated itself to 4 on saturday night or friday night (I don't remember which one).

Its safe to say its definitely out. After all these months of using beta!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

^^ I just checked the version I'm running and it doesn't say RC anymore. Perhaps I was too hasty in speaking. (I might add that I'm running it on Mac OS.)

It's not exactly a smooth experience. When I try to scroll up or down it takes a second or two before it starts scrolling. And whenever I open or close tabs it freezes for a few seconds before it responds.
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Geez... I've never had those sort of issues hey. Mine is smooth. On all 3 machines that I use.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Just installed FF 4 and so far it's great. Nice and speedy!
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Anyone else having this problem: when I go to mozilla.com, it takes me to the French version of the site.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »