Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by Monty »

ryanrich wrote:Much more laggy, especially with the bloatware that accompanies most Android phones. Pure Android (Nexus) is definitely the way to go.
I agree with Ryan - pure android is the way forward. I chose the htc one x because sense 4 us way less intrusive than touchwhiz, and i've turned off a lot of the gimicky aspects of sense any way. (and because the galaxy nexus was a meh phone. The nexus 4 looks great and i am excitedly waiting for the new nexus)

Root your device and look at some of the custom ROMs stu. Some of them are beautiful and a lot faster
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Monty wrote: Root your device and look at some of the custom ROMs stu. Some of them are beautiful and a lot faster
+1 And some of the kernels that one can use are just out of this world.

@ryan Its not a true 8 core processor. Depending on the load only one set of 4 will be running at a time and even then in that set of 4 only "X" amount will be working again based on load. Those 4 high end will only load in really intensive tasks like gaming. To be honest I am quite keen to see how it plays out...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I was almost offend that my Galaxy Nexus is considered a meh... phone :o
But form a hardware perspective it is indeed rather dated (Very much so).
But... It's Nexus. And when the time comes to upgrade I will only settle for another Nexus- or wait until one is available, even if it means another 6 months to a year.

The new S4 is very impressive, and even the S3 on sheer hardware is often times less laggy than my phone- but if something like a copy-paste bug can bring down your operating system then you have to wonder about all the extra software Samsung forced on the phone.

Stuart, you really should try a Nexus device- I still prefer this meh phone to any of the new 'best' Androids available.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

A rumour mill update for Samsung phones. Please note that the S2 is planned to get 4.2.2 not sure what HTC has planned but I am pretty sure they have not kept their phones up to date like Samsung has...

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/03/18/gal ... y-note-ii/

As the website says:
Remember this is an pre-list. (Samsung could still change devices!)
But I love this snippet:
This means the Galaxy S II and Note received an update from 2.3.6 to 4.0.4 to 4.1.2 and will stop at Android version 4.2.2. Google is the only OEM which gives so many updates to its devices but Samsung is doing the same now.
S2 has received 3 updates and is stopping on a 4th. HTC on the other hand... This is why I support the plastic build of Samsung.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

What about the news that cyangenmod is not going to make ports for s4? I was hoping to port to pure android with cyangenmod after a few months. Been using cyangenmod on my desire HD since HTC drop support.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I've heard that on MyBB as well. I think though that they will probably change their minds if demand is high enough. At least that's the way I see it.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

DeathStrike wrote:What about the news that cyangenmod is not going to make ports for s4? I was hoping to port to pure android with cyangenmod after a few months. Been using cyangenmod on my desire HD since HTC drop support.
That would be because of Samsung being lazy with the source code for their kernels :(. If you want to know the full story on why developers for Android ports are leaving look up Andrew Dodd on Google+ he has a written up a whole story on why the hate for Samsung is going on...
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I havent really felt any lag related issues on my iphone 5. But then I knew what I was going for before buying. Making it more insane is that I paid cash because I don't want to be stuck with a contract if Cell C blows. They have a great deal on the phone and I would have taken it was it not for the complaints I read.

I think the only way I would go android would have been if we got the nexus 4. That $300 mark was a big pull towards that side. But the only place that imported the phone charged R6.7k so I was not in the mood going for something at that price that I have not seen in action before.

I do wish that ios was a bit more customizable but in the end it works.

Btw did google stop its push services?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

StarBound wrote:I havent really felt any lag related issues on my iphone 5. But then I knew what I was going for before buying.
Don't come here with your WHITE tendencies! Blody agent! This is a Android house!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

This is the beginning of the end for Samsung Cynogen support: https://plus.google.com/u/0/10109331052 ... dPnNjLAb4F to find more look for the header "The Saga of a CyanogenMod Exynos4 device maintainer" ...

*edit*

XDA thread with all the links: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2000684
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

4.2.2. Yay
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
StarBound wrote:I havent really felt any lag related issues on my iphone 5. But then I knew what I was going for before buying.
Don't come here with your WHITE tendencies! Blody agent! This is a Android house!
Because Android fanbois never crash the iOS thread.
SykomantiS wrote: Stuart, you really should try a Nexus device- I still prefer this meh phone to any of the new 'best' Androids available.
I think I will, if I can last long enough on Android this time. My biggest gripe so far is simply the way Android doesn't give you an option to turn off automatic linking of contacts. Give me the option to link the contacts I want to link, not the contacts Google thinks should be linked.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote: Because Android fanbois never crash the iOS thread.
I am sure I have no idea what you are talking about. All the Android fanbois I have met have been nothing but kind and courteous, and would never presume to gate crash any thread, much less one dedicated to the technological Nutella that is iOS...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I'm not really sure what you mean by linking contacts. Linking them to what?
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

why is it that if I go to "About Phone" on my SII and select "Check to update" that it then tells me awhile late that there is no update available...
surely there must be an update available if my phone is still on version 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

@Stu my contacts dont link automatically... :?

@KK There is a big update for your phone. Are you trying to update from data or WIFI?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

KK, you can also forcibly clear the Google Services Framework data and cache, but there is a chance it might make some things go wobbly- use at your own risk.

And then also, don't the normal (as in non-Nexus) Samsung phones update via the Kies software, or whatever it's called?
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

@Anky: was trying to update from data but will be connecting to a friend's wi-fi this weekend and seeing if that will help...
also
@Syko: will be trying the Kies route as well...

was just funny and weird that no update was found when I know that there are update available...
will let you know what happens...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:I'm not really sure what you mean by linking contacts. Linking them to what?
Like if you have the same contact on, say, Whatsapp, Gmail and Facebook, it automatically links them as one contact. Which is a good idea and works well as a general rule. However, I have some problems.

I have three couples, for which I have husband and wife saved as a contact, but Google thinks that each couple is one person.

So it links Daniel and Elma as one contact, Duane and Therina as one, and Pieter and Dianne as one. I have set it so only Gmail and Whatsapp contacts show. However, in each instance it wants to link the couples as one. I can manually separate the contacts into four contacts each (one for Gmail and one for Whatsapp each) and then I can link each of the wives' two contacts together as they should be, but the moment I try to link the husbands' contacts together Google automatically links them all together as one.

Simply put, for those contacts it won't let me link them like I want them to be linked, but only as Google (quite incorrectly) believes they should be linked.

A Google search revealed that people were complaining about this back in Gingerbread days, but it still hasn't been addressed.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

so I connect to friend's wi-fi this weekend and then tried to check for an update... nothing was found... zilch...
I couldn't do the Kies route while on wi-fi as Seacom was having troubles thus the internet wasn't feeling too well...
will try it later today when i'm in an area that get's better signal than at work...

the update as such doesn't trouble me... it's the inability to find an update available when one is available...
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

My phone won't switch on. Wonder if it is time for an upgrade yet?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Tribble wrote:My phone won't switch on. Wonder if it is time for an upgrade yet?
Tried pulling the battery out and leaving it out for awhile? Could try another battery and see if it is your battery that is the problem.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

This is by far the nicest Android phone I've seen so far. It makes the GS3/GS4 build quality look like it's for kids.

GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:This is by far the nicest Android phone I've seen so far. It makes the GS3/GS4 build quality look like it's for kids.
Yip yup. It has me doubting my Sony decision. The only problem I see is the permanent battery. WTF HTC and Sony!
- H. L. Mancken