Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Opera: Stunning Browser

Post by Anakha56 »

rustypup wrote:
we highlighted the strengths of the streamlined layout but had a lack of enthusiasm about the feel. The issue is that simplifying an interface by pulling out elements tends to detract from the seamlessness and sense of balance. To get it right, Opera really needed a more holistic redesign of the navigation and tab interface
i am overcome with a strong desire to punch someone in the gob... this must be the internets!

the update is.. .ok... the tab-bounce appears to have been resolved at least, (was driving me nuts)...
Whats a tab-bounce? :? Dont think I have ever experienced this bouncing tab problem...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Opera 11.60 is out and you want to use it because Justin Bieber does not! :lol:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/opera-11-60-is ... er-doesnt/
The new Opera browser also comes with a new star button, which lets you quickly add sites you like to your Speed Dial. The address field has been revamped with new search suggestions and you should now be able to find your favorite websites faster. The browser engine saw some updates as well so Opera 11.60 should be the most stable version of the browser so far.

In case you are still in doubt you might want to check the following list of reasons why now is the perfect time to start using Opera, according to its developers:
Follow the link for the reasons and proof about Bieber ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

12 is out
  • :- Plug-ins run in unique process, (prevents shoddy plugins from pranging the browser)
    :- Opera unite, widgets and voice deprecated :D (at last)
    :- Plenty of HTML5 work as well as WebGL and H/W acceleration...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Ta. No doubt Opera will want to update itself tonight.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Why can't Yahoo mail just work properly in Opera!? :x
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

people still use yahoo? i thought that was a running gag :P

have you tried the basics?.. i know that spoofing the agent used to bypass yahoo's anti-opera checks...

or use the internal mail client with yahoo :lol:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

KALSTER wrote:Why can't Yahoo mail just work properly in Opera!? :x
Because Yahoo's developers probably couldn't even get a simple "Hello World" application right.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

StarPhoenix wrote:Ta. No doubt Opera will want to update itself tonight.
Mine updated Sunday afternoon, to my great mirth.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I have various (non-nefarious) email addresses, but my Yahoo one is the oldest and the one I use every day. Not a huge fan of Outlook. Have been running IE7 for Yahoo mail and Opera for everything else at the same time. :)

Problem is, Yahoo has forced me to use their latest incarnation with no option to use the basic one any more. That, coupled with a slow computer and slow internet makes for a terribly slow email. Guess I have only my own stupidity to blame. :)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I got Yahoo mail before they limited it to Mail+ only, so I can still use POP. Back then Google and Yahoo were still on equal footing more or less. :) Now though...guess I'll have a look at Opera mail. I have less trouble sending Yahoo mails from my cellphone mail client than from the PC.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Create a gmail account and let gmail grab the e-mails from yahoo.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Then I'll have to send from the gmail account as well. Which wouldn't be so bad I guess. I already have quite the forwarding train going on. :)
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

"mail accounts all the way down... " :lol:
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

:lol:

Image...all the way down.

I guess I just have a bit of nostalgia for my first email account I created at .co.uk from my Nokia 5140i on Opera Mini over a period of an hour. :)
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

KALSTER wrote:Then I'll have to send from the gmail account as well. Which wouldn't be so bad I guess. I already have quite the forwarding train going on. :)
You just use the gmail client to handle the email - i get my mail from my "work" account through gmail, and I send it through gmail - my recipients still see it as from my "work" address". It all depends on how you set it up
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Cool, I'll give it a try. ;)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Okay so all those who have updated to the latest version and are having issues with Google (like me) disable spdy in the config settings. For those who dont know how to get there copy n paste the following:

Code: Select all

opera:config#Network|UseSpdy2
And untick spdy's...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

warning sad news ahead oh and I may be overreacting...

Opera upgrades to Opera 15 and ... It's a reskinned Chrome install with many features you loved now missing... :(

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/op ... 0-released
Opera Next 15 Released!
By Adam Minchintonminch. Monday, May 27, 2013 12:44:53 PM
15, opera next, discover, opera mail, stash, download manager
After a busy Winter here in the Desktop department at Opera we are finally ready to lift the covers of the latest preview of the next generation of our Web browsers. Today we are releasing Opera Next 15 for Windows and Mac. For all the latest information on the features head on over to the product information page. If you just can't wait grab the builds from the links below.

One of the changes in this release is moving Opera's internal email client M2, into it's own separate product. It's almost ready, so today we want to introduce to you, the first release candidate of Opera Mail. If you have been using M2 please download it and send us your feedback.
Time to find a new browser that can be functional... :(
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol:

It was always going to happen... they've been working towards chromium for some time now...

Next has no bookmarks... yet... but there is infrastructure in place for them so maybe there's something novel planned...

It's chromium :| which is... meh... but still snappy...

The mail client is none too shabby, but having to grab it as a standalone is counter-beneficial...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

For me the biggest loss is the tab functionality. I loved my CTRL+TAB A: Giving me a tab thumbnail and B: Going to my last active tab now it just does Chrome/FF/IE crud by cycling through all the friggin tabs... :(