ATI... erm, AMD vs nVidia!

Any hardware related topics go here.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Re: ATI... erm, AMD vs nVidia!

Post by GDI_Lord »

I was going to comment that earlier on I was amazed that there's a forum member from 2004 around still (Jane,) and then I checked my join date and saw that I joined in 2005. Then there's ol' Hman who joined before either of us did: in 2003!
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Yeah, the good old days. It's 10 years ago, time goes by so quickly.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Shadowplay and twitch support is somewhat of a game changer but now add gsync and your changing the playing field once more. I like the idea of the technology but I'm wondering about the inconsistancies. If the tech work like it says it does then SLI might just become something I will look at again in the future.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

StarBound wrote:Shadowplay and twitch support is somewhat of a game changer but now add gsync and your changing the playing field once more. I like the idea of the technology but I'm wondering about the inconsistancies. If the tech work like it says it does then SLI might just become something I will look at again in the future.
And SLI has what to do with G-Sync? :|
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

If the frames are output as its done it might also remove the micro stutter effect.
My Steam Screenshots

Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

StarBound wrote:If the frames are output as its done it might also remove the micro stutter effect.
Perhaps. What I'd really like to see nVidia implement is SLI directly over PCI-E. That really helped improve AMD's micro-stuttering. I think a combination of the two would really do wonders for frame latency.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Or it might have the opposite effect since in most cases the primary card renders in about say 8ms and the secondary in 18ms. You would have a really bad time when looking at it.
My Steam Screenshots

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

AMD Demonstrates "FreeSync", Free G-Sync Alternative, at CES 2014
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd- ... t-ces-2014

Anand Lal Shimpi wrote:There’s apparently already a VESA standard for controlling VBLANK intervals.
AMD isn’t ready to productize this nor does it have a public go to market strategy, but my guess is we’ll see more panel vendors encouraged to include support for variable VBLANK and perhaps an eventual AMD driver update that enables control over this function.

In our review I was pretty pleased with G-Sync. I’d be even more pleased if all panels/systems supported it. AMD’s “FreeSync” seems like a step in that direction (and a sensible one too that doesn’t require any additional hardware). If variable VBLANK control is indeed integrated into all modern AMD GPUs, that means the Xbox One and PS4 should also have support for this. Given G-Sync’s sweet spot at between 40 - 60 fps, I feel like “FreeSync” would be a big win for AMD’s APUs.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Not to diss AMD but they aren't entirely on the same level when they compare to nvidia for graphics. I've had the here and there better ATI experience in the past and when you look at the highest level of cards nvidia has a bit more to offer.
My Steam Screenshots

Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

StarBound wrote:Not to diss AMD but they aren't entirely on the same level when they compare to nvidia for graphics. I've had the here and there better ATI experience in the past and when you look at the highest level of cards nvidia has a bit more to offer.
This has got nothing to do with graphics cards. AMD is supporting a product very similar to G-Sync that requires no add-on modules and costs nothing. I'd say that's a very good move on their part. The only question is whether this actually gets developed further.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Mystical_Titan wrote:This has got nothing to do with graphics cards. AMD is supporting a product very similar to G-Sync that requires no add-on modules and costs nothing. I'd say that's a very good move on their part. The only question is whether this actually gets developed further.
And that is where the problem lies. What happened to the tri-def 3D and the other 3D that AMD supported? The other question would be what is the cost and will the target market accept it with a price premium or will they just go for the normal screens?
My Steam Screenshots

Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

StarBound wrote:
Mystical_Titan wrote:This has got nothing to do with graphics cards. AMD is supporting a product very similar to G-Sync that requires no add-on modules and costs nothing. I'd say that's a very good move on their part. The only question is whether this actually gets developed further.
And that is where the problem lies. What happened to the tri-def 3D and the other 3D that AMD supported? The other question would be what is the cost and will the target market accept it with a price premium or will they just go for the normal screens?
Um... did you see the part where I said it won't cost anything? Some displays support it already and as long as your graphics card does too (which only requires a driver update), you don't pay anything.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Geforce 750Ti review out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gef ... ,3750.html

I want one, just for the hell of it.
My Steam Screenshots

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

*drool*
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

And our pricing is out of whack. Seriously a $150/R1650 is only worth that price at that price. For its current R2600 price tag a 660 is better. Remember the 8800GT? That card was awesome because it was priced right for the performance it gave.
My Steam Screenshots

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Yeah, I know! It might just be cheaper for you to grab it from Amazon AND pay for the next day priority shipping!
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Amazon won't let me order hardware. How'd you do it? :? :confused:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Uh, I just went to amazon.com (US site,) ordered the 6670 and paid for it with a voucher and a card.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Crytek Adopts AMD's Mantle API for CRYENGINE
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ma ... 26357.html

EDIT:
Also, Microsoft Announces DirectX 12 at GDC [Looks like MS absorbed Mantle]
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/micros ... 26360.html
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

So a new SLI titan, the Titan Z, is set for release with everything the titan had but doubled. 12GB of ram, more cuda cores, the works. A steal at $3000.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/geforc ... 26391.html

I'm actually interested in the pascal gpus but 2 years is a long long wait.
My Steam Screenshots

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Yeah, the Titan Z looks NICE SB (said as an AMD fan!), but one single gaming card at the price of a used car?

Having said that, AMD just announced a new FirePro workstation card - at ten thousand rand more than the Titan Z:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7901/amd- ... epro-w9100

The article is more than just an announcement, it goes into a (tiny) little bit of depth about some of AMD's plans.

Pascal looks interesting from a multi-card setup point of view. As an aside, I saw this tweet from Intel's lead performance architect:
MAN it was a schlep to convert Twitter's "Embed Tweet" HTML into BB Code!!!
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

GDI_Lord wrote:Having said that, AMD just announced a new FirePro workstation card - at ten thousand rand more than the Titan Z
That's a rather invalid comparison as workstation GPUs have always been INSANELY expensive. Here's a link to nVidia's cream of the crop workstation GPU on Newegg:

nvidia Quadro K6000
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Work station GPUs has always been priced much much higher than the gaming graphics cards we use. I remember the radeon 9700pro price vs that of the wildcat card. The price difference was enormous and gaming performance in favour of the 9700.

That said the top end workstation gpus can hold up in gaming performance against the second from top GPUs but there is no value on a gpu to me outside gaming.

Intel can say what they want on the gpu front, they are the worst of the 3. But maybe all that is needed is something with the grunt to put that memory architecture to good use.
My Steam Screenshots

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

I know Mystical_Titan, I said that because there's been mention of more people using a Titan for compute than for gaming because of the not-as-crippled double (or was it single?) precision performance compared to the 780 series of cards.

But yes, I agree, workstation cards are different to gaming cards for a reason (even if it's just the drivers and a BIOS identifier that make them different :-( )

Edit 1:
Intel have always been the worst of the gfx makers IMHO, even when there were more than three players around. Well, there are at least four right now if one includes Imagination Technologies. But give them time. They have a lot of oomph and I honestly don't see what will be holding them back in the future.

Edit 2:
Oooh, lookey! http://www.anandtech.com/show/7881/amd- ... -once-more
I really agree with Mondozai:
Mondozai wrote:This is a very cheesy campaign, but at least it's different from the usual Dual Extreme Shadow Killer Military Grade GPU Power ads.

And any marketing campaign has to be measured by its success in terms of increasing mindshare, and in this sense, the campaign has been successful.
And yes, it's been sticking in my mind! I even dreamt that I owned 4x dual-Hawaii boards this morning!
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

I'm now stuck on this,
I have only owned NVIDIA cards,
but on price I can get a better RADEON card, or better according to benchmark and test scores.
They do run hotter on the test too.

So I could go for GFX770 or Radeon9290.