ATI... erm, AMD vs nVidia!

Any hardware related topics go here.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Re: ATI... erm, AMD vs nVidia!

Post by GDI_Lord »

GreyWolf wrote:
StarBound wrote:Titan is heavily over priced
LOL. That's the equivalent of calling the Titanic a minor boating incident.
I'm glad I wasn't drinking water when I read that; it would've ended up on my keyboard! :lol:
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

D3PART3D wrote:Would we be able to tell the difference between 2k and 4k? Can our laser mice keep up?
Yes, I think I might be gaming at 1800dpi and there are 6400dpi mice so its not a problem. The question is whats your comfort zone. I'd say if I got a 23" screen with 1440p and 120hz I would stop bothering. The smallest 4k screen is 30" and that is just too big to game on if your sitting <1m from your screen.

I'm sure you will be able to tell the difference on anything given the right distance.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I will be honest I still wont be able to afford that card but this snippet in the Anandtech review show there is one below that will be good on pricing as well.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the- ... -review/20
Meanwhile AMD for their part would appear to have one more piece to play. Today we’ve seen the Big Kahuna, but retailers are already listing the R9 290, which based on AMD’s new naming scheme would be AMD’s lower tier Hawaii card.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Well done AMD, a very solid return to form!

The 290x is only marginally better though than the GTX 780, thanks mostly me thinks to the 512-bit interface vs. the 384-bit of the 780. And although still not as solid and consistent as nVidia, their frame stutter issues also now seem to be resolved, definitely a MASSIVE improvement. I also really like the CrossFire over PCI-E and I'm already wondering whether nVidia will come up with a similar solution (although they'll probably be focused on G-Sync now).

The only massive drawback for me is that operating temperature... 95 degrees?! That's a little insane, no matter what AMD says.

Now if Mantle proves to be as much of a success as the 290x, I think nVidia will start getting nervous.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Anakha56 wrote:I will be honest I still wont be able to afford that card but this snippet in the Anandtech review show there is one below that will be good on pricing as well.

Meanwhile AMD for their part would appear to have one more piece to play. Today we’ve seen the Big Kahuna, but retailers are already listing the R9 290, which based on AMD’s new naming scheme would be AMD’s lower tier Hawaii card.
I am with you.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Latest Nvidia driver is out. Now supports streaming to the nvidia shield and something MSI afterburner did for a while, game capturing known as shadow play. Shadow play requires an nvidia 6 or 7 series card.

In other news, the 780 has been dropped in price by $150 so maybe we will get that drop some time next year or we will see a $150 price increase for our R9 290x cards :P
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

GreyWolf wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:I will be honest I still wont be able to afford that card but this snippet in the Anandtech review show there is one below that will be good on pricing as well.

I am with you.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphi ... 0-review/1
AMD Radeon R9 290 Review
Published on 5th November 2013 by Matthew Lambert

AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB Review
Manufacturer: AMD
UK price (as reviewed): MSRP £320 (inc VAT)
US price (as reviewed): MSRP $399 (ex Tax)

Thermal and power consumption issues aside, the Hawaii GPU made a great debut in the AMD Radeon R9 290X, with performance that was faster than the GTX 780 (and relatively close to the GTX Titan), yet priced £50 less than it. Naturally, Nvidia had no choice but to slash prices, and indeed it recently dropped the GTX 780 by a whole £100, down to £400, which also conveniently makes room for the imminent GTX 780 Ti. The R9 290X now sits at £430, so the price-performance scale is relatively well balanced again at the high end (excluding Titan). Nvidia also dropped the GTX 770's price to £240, to not only leave an appropriate distance between it and the GTX 780 but also in anticipation of AMD's Radeon R9 290 4GB. This is what we're looking at today, and it is set to enter the UK market at around £320, which is smack bang in the middle of the new pricing for Nvidia's GTX 770 and GTX 780 cards.

Click link to read the review.

Still gets hot but I suspect aftermarket coolers from ASUS, MSI & Gigabyte will tame the beast. Still on my want list. ;)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

That is one juicy card.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

$150 cheaper, performs nearly the same. Sounds good... except that they complain about the temp and the sound. So you still need to wait for a proper aftermarket cooler.
My Steam Screenshots

GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

What is also interesting is that nVidia dropped the price of the GTX 780. Come on AMD, drop the price of your cards too.
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

More and more new cards with price drops means that a second hand 7970 might be an option for me sometime in the future. GTX580 will have to do for now.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gef ... ,3663.html

Once again, Nvidia is on top. Have to say though the top 5 cards are mostly seperated by price and not much in terms of performance. Clearly the R9 290 is the winner ...just need to get that temp under control and the noise down, while the titan wins for the most obscure pricing (not a good thing).
My Steam Screenshots

GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

StarBound wrote:Once again, Nvidia is on top. Have to say though the top 5 cards are mostly seperated by price and not much in terms of performance.
The variance in the performance of the 290X is unsettling :? . ***** is up with that?
- H. L. Mancken
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Has anyone ever considered that AMD might have _purposefully_ used a bad cooler because they want their partners to sell more boards (and have more partners to carry their boards) and that, compared to previous generations of cards, they might be earning more money per partner card sold?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

GDI_Lord wrote:Has anyone ever considered that AMD might have _purposefully_ used a bad cooler because they want their partners to sell more boards (and have more partners to carry their boards) and that, compared to previous generations of cards, they might be earning more money per partner card sold?
the thing is I have never seen an AMD card in the wild. Have you?
- H. L. Mancken
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Re:

Post by GDI_Lord »

A quote from whipme on the first page of this thread:
whipme wrote:i'd say the reason i'm buying ATI is because they run so much cooler than
anything Nvidia can offer! someone prove me wrong.
How times can change... :lol:
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

GreyWolf wrote:The variance in the performance of the 290X is unsettling :? . ***** is up with that?
I know I've seen an article on it somewhere. Not sure exactly what it is but seems the retail cards vs the review cards isn't sporting the same specs.
My Steam Screenshots

Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Well done nVidia! Not only have you taken back the performance crown, you've also rendered the Titan almost completely pointless! I say almost because 4k gaming can chow insane amounts of video RAM, in some cases more than 4 GB. However, considering the minuscule market that 4k gaming currently holds, that really wasn't a clever move on their part.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

It was on Tom's SB. I think (hope) that they bought a dud retail card. I haven't seen anybody replicate their results elsewhere on the web, even after they said that other review sites also started testing them.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Mystical_Titan wrote:Well done nVidia! Not only have you taken back the performance crown, you've also rendered the Titan almost completely pointless!
I find that sentence coming from your username amusing. ;-)
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

GDI_Lord wrote:
Mystical_Titan wrote:Well done nVidia! Not only have you taken back the performance crown, you've also rendered the Titan almost completely pointless!
It sounds like I'm referring to myself in the third person, doesn't it? :lol:
Jane

Post by Jane »

Mystical_Titan wrote:
GDI_Lord wrote:
It sounds like I'm referring to myself in the third person, doesn't it? :lol:
Yes it does! :D
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Jane wrote:Yes it does! :D
IT'S JANE!!! WOW, IT'S JANE!!! SO GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN! Gee gosh darn willikers!

It's been so long - especially since we hardly, if ever, interacted on the forums! ;-) But seriously, hi, it's nice to see another long-time member still around. Welcome back and you have a really cool profile picture.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Indeed, a very long time
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Jane

Post by Jane »

I'm pleasantly surprised that there are still longtime members on the forums. Thought my login details would have stopped working, but thought I'd give it a try. :)