AMD vs. Intel

Any hardware related topics go here.
trailb

AMD vs. Intel

Post by trailb »

[Edit by neon_chameleon : Since there seems to be a topic about AMD vs Intel so often, us moderators have decided to create a single thread concerning this issue, namely this topic "AMD vs Intel".

Anybody wanting to ask questions concerning the differences in the two can simply type their question in bold.

eg. P4 Prescott (775) VS AMD 64

Therefore everyone can type their replies or comments here and all pcformatians can read the previous questions to see whether it somehow relates to their question first.

New Edit : This thread is now a sticky.

No matter what is discussed here the point remains : It's your choice ones good for games and that is AMD the other is good for multi-tasking desktops and that is Intel. ]

Hey guys

Im upgrading in four months and cannot make up my mind.. thank goodness for you guys :D

Should i get

a.Amd64 3200+ B.Intel Prescott 3.2Ghz HT
1GB DDR400 1GBDDR 2 533mhz Ram
Radeon 9800 X600 Pci-e 8O

19 inch flat screen

I love amd i have a a thing going on Abit Ati Amd
but cannot overlook the fact that the intel has HT Pci-e and DDR2
and waiting till next year is NOT an option in Toms hardware reviews the 64 take over but then they didnt have pci-e and DDR2? this will surely put them in the lead?

I use my pc for 99.9% games

Some help will be really great
Please i stand to be hopefully corrected and spelling at this time of night not good will edit later is wrong :oops:
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

PCI-E will not make that much of a difference.

Stick to the AMD if you are a hardcore gamer.

Maybe try to get the 3400+ if you have the money and match it with a GeForce 6800 NU.
trailb

Post by trailb »

Question:
Is hyper-transport the same as HT splits into 2 cpu`s ???

That seems very usefull !!!

And the DDD2 that must be a lot faster
the pci-e still seems very important for future use?
Dom

Post by Dom »

Nope... hypertransport isn't the same as hyperthreading.

Hypertransport refers to the bus technology linking the CPU to the rest of the system... with my rig for instance, my hypertransport bus runs at 1600 MHz (socket 939 ones have a 2 GHz bus speed).

PCI-e is of course where the future of graphics cards is heading, but at this stage, the performance difference is *very* slight.

DDR2 isn't that amazingly quicker either, at this stage anyway.

If you do want an A64 rig with DDR2 and PCI-e, wait for the nForce 4 mobo's to become available...
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
trailb

Post by trailb »

thanks dom + maxxis
Dom

Post by Dom »

Sure, only happy to help :-)
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

general_koffi

Post by general_koffi »

Definately AMD, but in four months the prices of the Athlon 64 FX range might be down sufficiently for you to get that...
Core 2 Duo E6300 @2.2Ghz
ASUS P5B
Force3D Radeon HD 4870 512MB
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer
trailb

Post by trailb »

Well after some heavy research i have my own view points now but think that toms hardware is a truly AMAZING site

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2004060 ... 39-19.html

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... de-22.html

have a look here at the scores and make your own mind up :lol:
I think i wait 5 months and if AMD dont have pci-e by then i go the in...tel way :oops:

The x600 doent seem like its a bad card out performs the 5750pci-e
hopefully in 5month prices will drop and i be able to get even better :D
Carnajo

Post by Carnajo »

Don't forget that the 6600GT, very nice card too.

Generally Tom's site is, okish, but not as good as it used to be IMHO. It has become far too biased for my tastes.

I prefer
http://www.anandtech.com/
and
http://www.firingsquad.com/
Dom

Post by Dom »

Those are both awesome websites that you mention Carnajo... not all biased like Tom's has become.

Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

For gaming definitely go for an AMD 64 :)

When I wanna find info about some PC hardware I usually have a look at Tomshardware first and then search for reviews in Google, usually find a review by Anandtech which are usually quite good.

It's also a good idea to look around at different forums to see what other people who have used the product think about it.
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

In 4 months time the PCI-e AMD's will be out. Abit already has a PCI-e board out (The AX8).

And DDR2 533Mhz is actually slower than DDR400. Because the latency is much higher to accomadate the faster speed. Once DDR2 reaches over 650Mhz then you will really start to see speed differences.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

What is going on here. Does anybody else see all the word AMD and Intel in bold and orange or did I get some spyware again?
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

P4 Prescott (775) VS AMD 64 topic has moved here.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Thanks neon. Maybe we should check with other mods it this can be made a sticky?
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Yeah good idea, 'cos is there ever was a hardware topic to make a Sticky this would be it. AMD vs Intel is the fundamental question of life. :)

Which do you guys think is better for video editing?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Dom

Post by Dom »

Well, from benchmarks I've seen, I would say Intel in that case...

Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I really like AMD 64. It's awesome for games, and lest we not forget the advent of Windows 64-bit.

Just a quick question: If a person bought a AMD 3500+, would overclocking it be as simple a matter of going into the BIOS, upping the GHZ by about 200, and then hey presto, you have an overclocked CPU?
It somehow seems to easy.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Sometimes a gamer on a budget will spend all his money or the latest and greatest graphics card, and pair it with an anemic processor such as a Celeron or his three-year old Pentium 4 1.5GHz. This is simply a quick way to waste your money as the performance of the graphics card will be limited by the host CPU
From FIRINGSQUAD>> This is exactly what I did. I have a 1.5Ghz and Sapphire X800 PRO. Criminal. Apparently
Dom

Post by Dom »

Well, yes, overclocking is just a simple matter of increasing your FSB until you hit the clockspeed you want.

However, it's a LOT smarter to test how well your particular CPU can overclock, by bumping up the FSB in small increments and testing for stability between FSB jumps...

EDIT: The quality of your RAM will also determine how much you could overclock your system.

wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

dom wrote:Nope... hypertransport isn't the same as hyperthreading.

Hypertransport refers to the bus technology linking the CPU to the rest of the system... with my rig for instance, my hypertransport bus runs at 1600 MHz (socket 939 ones have a 2 GHz bus speed).

PCI-e is of course where the future of graphics cards is heading, but at this stage, the performance difference is *very* slight.

DDR2 isn't that amazingly quicker either, at this stage anyway.

If you do want an A64 rig with DDR2 and PCI-e, wait for the nForce 4 mobo's to become available...
I can't agree more with pci-e and ddr2 the sad story is when pci-e and ddr2 is on par something thing new would have taken over.i think that pci-e and ddr2 will be short lived...... :wink:
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Well, yes, overclocking is just a simple matter of increasing your FSB until you hit the clockspeed you want.

However, it's a LOT smarter to test how well your particular CPU can overclock, by bumping up the FSB in small increments and testing for stability between FSB jumps...

EDIT: The quality of your RAM will also determine how much you could overclock your system.
Thanks Dom. Sorry for sounding so ignorant, but what is FSB? And testing stability would either be by a program or just letting the PC run a few hours?
Also, I imagine Corsair 1 gig RAM with 2-2-2-5 timings would be a good option?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Mikdog wrote:

Thanks Dom. Sorry for sounding so ignorant, but what is FSB? And testing stability would either be by a program or just letting the PC run a few hours?
Also, I imagine Corsair 1 gig RAM with 2-2-2-5 timings would be a good option?

FSB=Front Side Bus = The speed your CPU bus runs at. 8)
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hi Mikdog

FSB stands for Front Side Bus... it's the value you would have to increase, to effect an overclock, since all CPU's today (apart from engineering samples) are multiplier locked. But as I said, only increase it in small increments at a time (like 5-10 MHz.) For testing stability, use something like Prime95 or a similar stress test program. RAM with nice close timings like you mention would be a good thing, no doubt...

@wizard: Yeah, I can imagine PCI-e and DDR2 being a bit short-lived myself...

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

dom wrote:Hi Mikdog

FSB stands for Front Side Bus... it's the value you would have to increase, to effect an overclock. But as I said, only increase it in small increments at a time (like 5-10 MHz.) For testing stability testing, use something like Prime95 or a similar stress test program.

@wizard: Yeah, I can imagine PCI-e and DDR2 being a bit short-lived myself...
Don't get me wrong.

Well put it this way PCI-e should become standard with in the next few months or so but the speeds will greater x32 ....X64 perhaps.

As for DDR2 it really depends on the FSB speeds of the new mobo's and cpu's and will only go as far as the bus and cpu speeds can support it. Till the module have to be rebuild.....to support higer speeds....ect....