BEWARE - MSI does not care about the customer.

Any hardware related topics go here.
MC75

Post by MC75 »

Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the correct place for this post as im new here so please excuse me if it isn't. I just don't know what else to do about this problem and I think every gamer out there thinking about buying a MSI laptop needs to read this before doing so.
I purchased a MSI GT70 2PC Dominator 4 weeks ago at a place called Newstead Technologies in Singapore at the FUNAN Digital Life Centre. The shop was advertising MSI Gaming Laptops all with " Authorized dealer" signage and all. I spoke to a salesman there and asked for a pamphlet to look at the laptops they have. They did not have the one I wanted so I asked him if they could upgrade the laptop to what I need. His answer was " Of course we can sir, we are an MSI dealership and am authorized to do what you need, just tell us what you want and we will contact MSI in Singapore and have them get the laptop here."
I asked for an 512 SSD to be installed and the RAM to be upgraded to 24gig. This they of course did and I was on my way. About a week after I got the laptop I started getting messages whilst playing games, Wolfenstein, Ghost Recon, Medal of Honor etc, that my system is running low on memory and I must close the programs to prevent any loss. This of course is not possible as im running a 6 gig GTX870M and 24gig ram. I was still at work offshore so I couldn't get it sorted at the time. 3 weeks later I was in SA and took it to COREX in Cape Town to get it looked at. After having my laptop for a day the guys phoned me back and said that my 512 SSD is faulty. I told them that I find that hard to believe but if they say it is so then who am I to argue. I asked them to get it sorted as the laptop is only 4 weeks old. They asked for all the paperwork regarding my laptop purchase and the SSD upgrade by Newstead, which I scanned and sent to them. They came back to me saying that MSI will not have anything to do with the SSD hard drive as it is Samsung and MSI does not use Samsung in their Laptops. This was a bit of a shock as it was an Authorized MSI Dealership that installed it for me. Remember that all the upgrades were done to the laptop before I even owned it. The SSD and Ram was installed by the Authorized dealership and I purchased it from them as a unit, I didn't purchase the laptop and then come back a few days later to have it done, it was done before I bought it from them. I then asked the technician at Corex what the next step was, he said I must come and get the laptop and take it to Samsung to have the SSD replaced as MSI has instructed him not to do it. I told him that if I take the laptop to Samsung they will open it up and then MSI will say an Un-Authorized company has "worked" on my laptop and the warranty is void. I asked the technician to remove the hard drive and get it sorted with Samsung, he offered to do this as I live quite a distance away from them. A few hours later I was contacted by the MSI Technician at Corex and told that Newstead had glued my hard drive into place using double sided tape and not the proper installation bracket that is supplied. This obviously was the last draw and I was beginning to see where this was headed, I asked the tech what the next step was and he told me that they have taken photos of the laptop and the glued ssd and have sent it off to MSI and they are waiting for a reply. He had to get permission to remove the hard drive but wanted to get confirmation as to who will cover the damage if anything breaks when he does that. This was on the Friday afternoon(6 June 2014) at 16:30. On Monday afternoon(09 June 2014) I was called by the technician from Corex and informed that MSI will not cover the laptop as Newstead was not Authorized to open the laptop in the first place. They are a Authorized dealership but NOT authorized to work on the laptops! So now I am stuck with this problem where I paid $ 4100-00 for a MSI Gaming Laptop less than a month ago. I had a choice between ROG and Alienware but went with MSI. I have friends that have Alienware laptops and they are all laughing at e because of this. Another friend of mine, was actually present when I got my MSI, was on his way to get a MSI but have now completely written them off.

As a customer, I don't make my choices in the shop, choices on which laptop to get are made at home when you brows the web, read the blogs and see what your friends have purchased. When I walk into a shop that has a big sign that says "MSI AUTHORIZED DEALER" I trust that they will follow the MSI Corporate rules and regulations, it is NOT my responsibility as the customer to check whether the Authorized Dealer does what they are supposed to do. When MSI Authorizes a company to sell their product it is the responsibility of MSI Corporate division to ensure that all dealerships look after the customers as these laptops are not cheap. When one decides to get a laptop worth thousands of dollars it is not expected to break after a month of use and if it does then I, as the customer, should be able to walk into a Authorized Dealership and hand my laptop over with confidence it will get sorted without hanging me out to dry. MSI has literally said they don't care as its not their problem. How can they get away with this? The salesman at Newstead blatantly lied to me to make a sale and MSI is allowing them to get away with it. I as the customer should not be drawn into the disputes of corporate affairs as this should have been sorted out by MSI as this is a company that THEY Authorized to sell their laptops.
What should have happened when I took in my laptop was this:
I take my laptop in, MSI realises what the problem is, sorts it out without involving the customer, gives me back my laptop and then skin whomever they need to skin regarding the absolute pathetic service I received at Newstead! After all, it was MSI that Authorized them to sell the MSI product in the first place.
I am not going to leave this be as I want to let as many people as possible know about this "policy" that MSI has regarding their complete lack of interest once you have handed over your hard earned cash for one of their products. If anybody out there reading this can give me the contact details of anyone whom I can contact regarding this I would really appreciate it. I would even be willing to write a letter to PC Mag for publication if I can, all I need is to know where to start.
doo_much

Re: BEWARE - MSI does not care about the customer.

Post by doo_much »

tldr
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

doo_much wrote:tldr
:troll:

I understand how you feel, but MSI is not really accountable for what a separate business does.

Afterall, say Asus sells a AMD reference design based graphics card with a non reference design heatsink. The heatsink is insufficient to handle the heat output of the chip and the card breaks. Do Asus send the card back and ask them for a refund/replacement? No, Asus fixes their product by either using the reference heatsink or by using a better design.
Last edited by Hman on 11 Jun 2014, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You actually read that rambling rant? :shock:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Hman

Post by Hman »

Yesterday already

doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Sjoe. I''m proud of you!
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Hman

Post by Hman »

Ek's 'n ou staatmaker :P

Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

Hman wrote:Ek's 'n ou staatmaker :P
That you are :!:

But this is not MSI fault,
anyone that sells computer parts can put a sticker saying they're a "bla bla bla authorized dealer",
if the dealer messes up, then the dealer is the problem, not the poor Japanese worker in factory working 23hour shifts for MSI.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

you guys aren't helping... :|

i, too, have experienced a very similar level of indifference from an authorised dealer and it has left me financially and emotionally scarred.

someday Ci Gusta will know my wrath...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Sadly I'd have to concur here, the Culprit is Newstead Technologies, not MSI itself. This is the major problem with buying abroad or importing. When the s*** hits the fan, you are usually left to clean up yourself.
My suggestion would be, given your circumstance, to have the SSD removed by the authorized dealer, swapped out by Samsung, and reinstalled by the authorized dealer. Ideally, MSI should at least honour the labour part of the agreement- reinstalling the SSD with the proper parts and tools and at least not voiding the warranty, but I'm not sure you'd even get that far, sadly.

You really should be gunning for Newstead Technologies, not MSI.
Good luck, hope you get it sorted.
Hman

Post by Hman »

rustypup wrote:someday Ci Gusta will know my furry wrath...
ftfy

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Hman wrote:ftfy
you are making me mildly upset.... you will not like me when i'm mildly upset...

i have a farcebook! and i'm a twit! :evil:

you evil corporate shills will not rule the roost much longer.... we are many...
Hman

Post by Hman »

Many? 5? 10? Maybe even 20?

And I wish I was a corporate shill, currently I'm just a shill.

Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

I back the guy with the pretty christmas pic
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Hman wrote:5? 10? Maybe even 20?
we are Unanimous! respect us.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

This thread is full of it...
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Hman

Post by Hman »

rustypup wrote:
Hman wrote:5? 10? Maybe even 20?
we are Unanimous! respect us.
So you are one then...

Belix

Post by Belix »

Iceblade wrote:I back the guy with the pretty christmas pic
In women's tennis, I always root against the heterosexual.
Last edited by Belix on 13 Jun 2014, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Belix

Post by Belix »

Blerry double post

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Say what you will. Still prefer MSI to other brands. Although I only go so far as motherboard and graphics card. Think Asus is the best when it comes to a lot of other stuff.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I don't think "Authorised Dealer" means what you think it does - you have been misled.
It just means they have an agreement to onsell that brand. They haven't committed to some moral code of conduct.
Newstead are well know scammers and make their money scamming westerners.
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complain ... 54333.html
The old bait-and-switch is their most common fast one.

Unless I am mistaken the only company that has any ironclad deal with MSI in Singapore is Corbell Technologies in Kaki Bukit - they run the MSI service center and AFAIK are the only dealer whose in-house warranties will hold any water with MSI

Thats what my friend who buys a lot of computer crap in Asia tells me anyway...