Ipad or Galexy

Any hardware related topics go here.
geraldhum

Ipad or Galexy

Post by geraldhum »

Hi Guys,
I just bought an i7 HP dv7 entertainment laptop and loving in. Now I want to get a tablet but nore sure whether to go for a ipad or Galexy. I enjoy all these gadgets just not sure what I should get
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Ipad or Galexy

Post by Stuart »

What cell phone do you have? If you have an Android phone, you may want to get an Android tablet. For me, though, iPad all the way.
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

I actually have a blackberry which later will be upgraded to iphone or samsung still deciding on that as well.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

My vote goes iPad purely because of the build quality and at the time of me buying my iPad it was the best tablet hands down. Nothing could match it from any of the other Android manufacturers.

So I kind of break Stu's tip there. Android phone and loving it. iPad tablet and loving it. ;)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Android can do more things and the hardware is superior to that of Apple's but I'd take an ipad and iphone over any android device.

At the end of the day whenever your doing some of the more technical stuff you are going to use your laptop or pc. Ipad interface is easy to use and fluid, and at the end of the day it just works. I will recommend the ipad air. I've upgraded from the ipad 2 and I do miss the feel of the tablet but the air is just better in every regard over the ipad gen 3 and 4 to the point where you are matching the ipad 2 and ipad air in design choices over the rest.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

My vote goes to the Samsung.

I have an Android tablet and I have absolutely 0 complaints. Pretty everything that was wrong with Android tablets has been resolved in the past 18 months or so. Fluid interface? Got it. Aps? Got it. Portability? Got it. Performance? Got it. Open, non-restrictive environment? YOU BETCHA!

In my experience, Apple's WiFi performance is glitchy at times.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The other question is, what size are you getting. If you settle on Android and are going for the smaller tablet, I would get the Nexus 7 over any Samsung device. I'd go for the Nexus 10 too, but you can't seem to get that in SA.

Edit: Wolfmeister: They released MS Office for iPad recently and I read that they were going to do so "soon" for Android tablets too. Have they done so yet?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Nexus 7 and 10 are available from Esquire.
I'd vote Nexus 10. Not so sure I'd want a Galaxy tab (read: Samsung software) and I won't touch an Apple product with a 10 ft. pole.

Edit to add, Nexus 10 is non-gsm device. That may or may not bother some people.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote: Edit: Wolfmeister: They released MS Office for iPad recently and I read that they were going to do so "soon" for Android tablets too. Have they done so yet?
Nope, but:
1. I have not encountered anything that OfficeSuite can't open.
2. OP has a laptop for editing Office documents if so desired.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
Stuart wrote: Edit: Wolfmeister: They released MS Office for iPad recently and I read that they were going to do so "soon" for Android tablets too. Have they done so yet?
Nope, but:
1. I have not encountered anything that OfficeSuite can't open.
2. OP has a laptop for editing Office documents if so desired.
I was just asking because we have an Android tablet here in the office. I have an Office 365 subscription, so I installed Office on my iPad and it's FAR better than any other office app I tried previously. I'd love to install it for our local Android user as soon as it's available.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:Nexus 7 and 10 are available from Esquire.
I'd vote Nexus 10. Not so sure I'd want a Galaxy tab (read: Samsung software) and I won't touch an Apple product with a 10 ft. pole.

Edit to add, Nexus 10 is non-gsm device. That may or may not bother some people.
Esquire has the Nexus 10? Really? I hunted for that thing a couple of months back when we were replacing a stolen Galaxy Tab.

Seeing your edit, however, it wouldn't really work here. The user needs 3G.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

You should ask yourself why exactly you are buying a tablet and then you would know by which metrics to base you decision.
GreyWolf wrote: I have not encountered anything that OfficeSuite can't open.
Opening isn't so much the issue, consistency with formatting is.
Last edited by D3PART3D on 11 Apr 2014, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Office on ipad needs a 365 subscription so your going to pay $75 or $99 a year. I think the one is home rated and the other one is business rated.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote: I installed Office on my iPad and it's FAR better than any other office app I tried previously.
No doubt.

Out of interest, what do you use your iPad + Office combo for?
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:Office on ipad needs a 365 subscription so your going to pay $75 or $99 a year. I think the one is home rated and the other one is business rated.
Already have the subscription, and only using it on three devices so far.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
Stuart wrote: I installed Office on my iPad and it's FAR better than any other office app I tried previously.
No doubt.

Out of interest, what do you use your iPad + Office combo for?
For what I do, I really only use the Word feature. I do lots of document typing, so it's very useful to have something that I can use that easily maintains formatting when I open it again on my desktop. The only downside is that it saves by default to OneDrive and you can't set up Dropbox. I could move all my stuff to Skydrive, but it's a bit of a schlep from my perspective.

I've used Excel sparingly, and it's worked so far, but I rarely use it. That said, I have a friend who also got it on his iPad recently, and as a financial advisor he makes extensive use of Excel and he has found it helpful so far.

I've not even touched PowerPoint yet.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Stuart wrote:

Esquire has the Nexus 10? Really? I hunted for that thing a couple of months back when we were replacing a stolen Galaxy Tab.

You must be a vegetarian then (aka bad hunter) :lol:

(Log in to view prices.)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:
Stuart wrote:

You must be a vegetarian then (aka bad hunter) :lol:

(Log in to view prices.)
On the plus side, when I asked a guy in our church who works at Samsung if he knew of a place to get the Nexus 10 in SA, his answer was that there is no such device as a Nexus 10. At least I knew that much! :lol:
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

With a lot of reading I decided to go for the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Note 2014 addition and I really am loving it. Judt the downside is that you cannot charge the Tablet via USB. Thanks for the replies