Seagate 600 120GB SSD Purchase - Opinions?

Any hardware related topics go here.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Seagate 600 120GB SSD Purchase - Opinions?

Post by GDI_Lord »

R1000 for a 120GB SSD (which is R150 cheaper than a contact at work can get me one for!)
http://www.incredible.co.za/product/867 ... t120hm000/
It's an online purchase deal with a four working-day delivery period, but I called the East Rand Mall shop and they told me that I can get a reference number and just walk in and pick up the drive.

I'm looking to get myself one. I've done some research on the drive and it seems to be a solid 120GB SSD. Your opinions?

Additionally, what tools can I use to check the integrity of the drive? I'd prefer a tool that can check an SSD at the same or greater level of detail as the very, very good SpinRite from Gibson Research. (SpinRite can be run on an SSD, sort of.)

Should one secure erase a brand spanking new SSD drive before loading an operating system? Can you recommend a good, free-gratis-and-for-nothing, open-source and NSA-free secure erase tool?

Thanks! :-)
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Seagate 600 120GB SSD Purchase - Opinions?

Post by StarBound »

When it comes to SSDs I swear by intel as far as an boot OS goes. But that said I have used different SSDs, from Intel to Kingston, OCZ (which I dont recommend) to Samsung and Crucial. I guess an SSD simply is an SSD. And I would just format the thing.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Seagate 600 120GB SSD Purchase - Opinions?

Post by hamin_aus »

I have an Intel 520 Series 240GB for Windows and will agree with StarBound that they are generally held in high regard as workhorses
I have a Samsung 840 EVO 750GB for games and man is it good!

I have no experience with Seagate SSD's but I'd trust them as storage is their actual business.
The 600 Series seems very solid - at least on par with anything in it's range and at best better than most...

Spinrite is for magnetic disks, I would not run it on an SSD, especially not in write modes...

SSD diagnostocs is still a new game. It's best to stick to manufacturers tools IMO.
Try Seagate Seatools
SSDLifeis highly regarded by Toms Hardware, for what that's worth

Since you asked for opinions I'll throw one more in with advice:
120GB is small for a drive these days. Personally I would use it as a Windows OS and just put whatever games I am currently playing that will benefit from fast disk on there.
Create two steam install folders, one on the SSD, one on normal disk, put all games on the normal disk and when you need to, move a game into the folder on the SSD.
Don't keep too many there at once, move them back when you are done. The SSD should never be more than 75% full.
It's a bit more overhead for you, but that is what I did with my first SSD which was also 120GB. This was 3 years ago mind you. But because I managed it carefully its still going strong and is now used in the shared PC in the study where it should crank along well beyond the manufacturers expected lifespan making emails and office documents open faster than normal :D