GFX card dead?

Any hardware related topics go here.
thrillseeker75

GFX card dead?

Post by thrillseeker75 »

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem. I think my gfx card goes dead at least once a week. I'll be surfing the net or browsing files on my pc when the monitor goes into power saving mode. I wont be doing anything cpu/gpu intensive when this happens. Tried pressing all the keys on my keyboard but to no avail.

When this happened i also tried connecting my monitor via the vga and hdmi ports but it still doesn't work. The only way to get it to work is to press the reboot button. There's nothing wrong with the monitor, I'm guessing its either the gfx card or the motherboard.

All the lights will be on and the cpu, gpu and chasis fans will running as normal.

and no its not some screen saver setting that I need to change and I'm using the latest drivers. Running everything at stock, nothing is overclocked.
Slimshaedy

Re: GFX card dead?

Post by Slimshaedy »

I doubt its the gpu, because your monitor would most likely show a "no signal" message. I could be wrong but the first thing that comes to mind is a setting you're missing somewhere, either in the monitors settings, or in power saving settings in windows.
If its a hardware fault it doesn't make sense that everything is still running fine when you restart. Do you keep an eye on your temps?
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
thrillseeker75

Post by thrillseeker75 »

temps are fine, il just be surfing the net then BAMB! monitor goes into power saving mode.

Next time it happens il have to plug in another monitor and see.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Maybe try updating the gfx drives
thrillseeker75

Post by thrillseeker75 »

it actually happened again today so i tried plugging in another monitor and that monitor also went into power saving mode.

running latest drivers . .
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

It doesn't make sense, very strange fault indeed. Try playing around with your onboard graphics and see if it happens when using that. Have you ever overclocked your gpu?
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

If you have an old gfx card lying around try using that and see if it still happens. Also try performing a clean install of your drivers
thrillseeker75

Post by thrillseeker75 »

I came across this response in another forum:

"I'd take a closer look at your psu. it may not be supplying the right voltage to your gfx, and hence your monitor.
By turning the pc off and leaving it for a while the capacitance bleeds off, which then allows you to turn it back on and it works.....for a while, until the voltage drops again."

Do yo think my psu is the fault?
thrillseeker75

Post by thrillseeker75 »

I just installed this app that came with my driver cd, its called MSI APS (active phase switching) It saves power when the card is not in full use by lowering the phase control or something. Hopefully this solves my problem.
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Its downclocks your card, I thought all gpus did that anyway? The post about the psu delivering incorrect voltage to your gpu, hence your monitor? Your monitor has its own power supply and if you disconnect the gpu from the monitor, then the monitor gives you the no signal cable connected sign.
I have a similar problem but with my external hdd. It turns off by itself and I have to leave it unplugged for a while to get it working again. I don't know what the problem is.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

thrillseeker75 wrote:I just installed this app that came with my driver cd, its called MSI APS (active phase switching) It saves power when the card is not in full use by lowering the phase control or something. Hopefully this solves my problem.
But the card does this by itself anyway. All the more modern cards do this in order to save power and in some cases prevent them form catching fire. But have you tested a different card in your system yet?
thrillseeker75

Post by thrillseeker75 »

ok this APS application doesn't help because it happened again today.

Im not really sure what this program does but when it's disabled all 8 LED's on the card are lit up. When the program is active fewer LED's light up indicating that power is being saved. Either way whether the program is activated or disabled the clock speeds are still reduced when I'm not playing games.

Cant really test another card because this problem occurs so randomly like once a week, cant exactly sit around and wait so long and i cant take the card back to the supplier because they are going to put it on and say well everything is working fine.

When this problem occurs and it puts my monitor in power saving mode, when I pull the cable out it will say "check signal cable" but if I plug it back in my monitor goes back into power saving mode. Obliviously something is causing the monitor to go into power saving mode whilst I'm using my PC.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

The monitor is going into power saving mode because it is losing the signal form the gfx card. The "check signal cable" notice only comes on when you disconnect the monitor form the card. For some reason your gfx card is just turning off. When this happens is there still sound coming from the speakers??
thrillseeker75

Post by thrillseeker75 »

yep . .
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

So the rest of the PC is still functioning as normal then, just the gfx card has stopped sending a signal to the monitor
thrillseeker75

Post by thrillseeker75 »

I was listening to music now and this problem occurred again. The mouse freezes for a split sec then the screen goes into power saving mode and the music stops.

I also tried switching the monitor cable to the onboard graphic card when the problem occurred and it also puts my monitor into power saving mode.

My last try was to set my cpu back to it's default clocks speeds and completely disable the onboard graphic card and disable lucid logix virtu but that didn't help either because I'm still experiencing this problem. My only guess is that it's the motherboard . .