Any hardware related topics go here.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

The first Meego smarthpone revealed: Nokia N9

Post by Hman »

Finally after all the disappointment of Nokia "abandoning" Meego for Windows Phone 7 the worlds first ever Meego smarthpone was announced at Nokia Connection in Singapore yesterday.

It will be running Meego 1.2 with a UX designed by Nokia. The phone's design features no hardware buttons on the front of the device with all interaction being done solely on the screen. My only problem with the device is the lack of a hardware keyboard, the N950 which is for developers only will have a hardware keyboard. Still, I do want.

Some specs:

ARM Cortex-A8 OMAP3630 1 Ghz, PowerVRSGX530
1024MB RAM, 16GB/64GB storage
3.9” WVGA (854×480) AMOLED display with curved Gorilla glassTM, no air gap, anti-glare polarizer
8MP auto-focus Camera (Carl Zeiss optics, wide angle) 2x LED flash, MPEG-4 SP 720p @ 30fps video recording, 2nd camera for video calls.

Pentaband WCDMA 850, 900, 1900, 1700, 2100, Quad band GSM/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
HSDPA Cat10: 14.4Mbps, HSUPA: Cat6 5.76Mbps

Sauce
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: The first Meego smarthpone revealed: Nokia N9

Post by KALSTER »

Looks good, except where is the hardware keyboard? They screwed up their only ever Meego phone? Damnit.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Wow, that phone looks fantastic. I saw an article about it yesterday and boy, was I impressed by its looks.

But seriously... Nokia... just stop. I don't understand why these guys are pushing this OS...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Hman

Post by Hman »

Why, what's wrong with Meego?

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Meego is probably great, but Nokia is only going to make this one Meego device, ditching it for WinMob 7, which is a bad move IMO. Meego could really have given Android a run for it's money, but alas. Meego would have been my OS of choice for my next upgrade.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Hman

Post by Hman »

Do remember that Nokia is not our only hope of seeing Meego on a phone.

Intel dearly wants to get their chips into smartphones to try and overthrow ARM. This is their bus and they are on it.

Oh and Meego N900 CE is apparently ready with all functions working, I'm waiting to see how bug/performance testing goes. Another sticking point for me is that I have to run the vanilla Maemo kernel in order to boot Meego as Uboot does not like Titan's Power kernel.

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Wow, that phone looks fantastic. I saw an article about it yesterday and boy, was I impressed by its looks.

But seriously... Nokia... just stop. I don't understand why these guys are pushing this OS...
Being ridden like a tourist phobic ostrich in Oudtshoorn by Telkom, I vouch for anything that stimulates competition in the comms arena, no matter how arbitrary it might seem.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Anyone else see this as Nokia clutching at straws? They were set to release their new Win7 phones only later this year with no new exciting phones planned until then and now this pops up. Maybe they are learning the lessons Blackberry are providing, no new releases for a fixed time is going to hurt your revenue stream.

Phone looks great, would definitely have considered it if they stuck with Meego. They fact they dropped Meego and the devs for it... How do you know this is the full product? Where will your software support for the phone be after their Win7 line up launches? Sorry to me this is a desperate move by Nokia...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56 wrote:Anyone else see this as Nokia clutching at straws? They were set to release their new Win7 phones only later this year with no new exciting phones planned until then and now this pops up. Maybe they are learning the lessons Blackberry are providing, no new releases for a fixed time is going to hurt your revenue stream.

Phone looks great, would definitely have considered it if they stuck with Meego. They fact they dropped Meego and the devs for it... How do you know this is the full product? Where will your software support for the phone be after their Win7 line up launches? Sorry to me this is a desperate move by Nokia...
Yup, fantastic concept and device actually, but too little too late.

A good article:

Dear Nokia, you cannot be serious!
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Nokia will die if they don't get their act together soon.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Hman

Post by Hman »

Not to fear Anakha56, not all the Nokia Meego devs were let go. There still is a "Meego" team at Nokia that works on Harmattan (Meego+SwipeUI).

Even if Nokia decides not to support the N9 there will most likely be community support as the N900 Maemo comunity works on Meego for the N900. Any thing that they manage to pull off for the N900 should be easily portable to the N9.

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

N9 Looks great, but if they brought out the E7 with Meego, I would have held up a drug store to get it. I don't understand their decision to go for WinMo. Meego has the only chance to compete with Android in terms of app development and flexibility IMO.
Hman

Post by Hman »

There's tons of apps for Maemo that can be very easily ported to Meego.