REALISTIC features of cell phones in the near future.

Any hardware related topics go here.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: REALISTIC features of cell phones in the near future.

Post by Stuart »

JollyJamma wrote:
Stuart wrote:
JollyJamma wrote:I want a charge pad where you put your phone down on the desk and it charges automatically.
It's called Powermat. ;)
I want it naaaaaow!
So go buy it. It can be quite pricey initially, and you have to have a phone that is supported. You have to buy the mat and then a battery cover or charger cradle for whatever phone you use. I have the three-pad mat and a battery cover for my BB Bold 9700 and a charger cradle for iPhone / iPod Touch. It fits the iPad as well, but the iPad is too big to stand properly on the mat.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Siemens wrote:I've never had a phone that keeps the time or date when the battery is removed. Very annoying.
If you superior intellect can't put an obvious "e" to complete the word "use" then maybe you should be the one re-examining your English. Oh, and the "an". I do beg your pardon. That does make the post completely unreadable.

Okay let me redo that. What I actually wrote there was:
I wish cellphones had the ability to become so excited on Fridays. I mean wouldn't it be cool if cellphones got up at 7am and had their cereal? Then rush to the bus stop just to ride with a kids in a convertible instead?

I hope that's more clear for you.
The last phone I had that didn't keep date or time when the battery was removed was a Nokia 2100 in 2004
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

We have the feature to accept calls only from pre-authorised numbers, often called an "allowed list." Now how about a "denied list" that accepts calls and SMSs from all numbers EXCEPT those on the deny list. I and several people I know would have *LOVED* this feature!

Don't feel like talking to Jane, John or an annoying relative? Put them on the block list! Angry with your brother who broke your limited edition signed Metajagger Whoozy Widget? Put him on the block list for four hours!
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Dual or even Tri sim slots should be standard!!!

And not really cell-phone feature per say, but one day they can head into sat-phone technology using satellites instead of towers. Reception anywhere in and around the world for no extra cost.

On a similar note. Walkie talkie feature. It exists but I personally think it's being backhanded by service providers. Especially in S.A. Other countries have the feature where if 2 phones have the feature and are in range of the same tower there's no costs involved in calling. I don't know what kind of ranges 2 phones could have but surely a few KM's should be do-able even without towers, just phone to phone.

Physically, full OLED jackets instead of steel / plastic covers. The whole phone front back and sides should be interactive by OLED screen while being water proof and military grade shock / drop proof. I want to be able to throw my phone when I'm upset with a phone call. I miss the relief of slamming down a land-line phone in anger!
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

GDI_Lord wrote:We have the feature to accept calls only from pre-authorised numbers, often called an "allowed list." Now how about a "denied list" that accepts calls and SMSs from all numbers EXCEPT those on the deny list. I and several people I know would have *LOVED* this feature!

Don't feel like talking to Jane, John or an annoying relative? Put them on the block list! Angry with your brother who broke your limited edition signed Metajagger Whoozy Widget? Put him on the block list for four hours!
My buddy has a Samsung phone (newish, but fairly basic) that as a denied list- exactly what you're describing. Will get the model number from him.

Also, I haven't checked, but I'm fairly certain one can get 3rd-party apps that can do this.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Android has an app for that.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Maemo as well, but I don't use it.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
DGui

Post by DGui »

Personally I think a phone made by Nokia with LG's pricing, MeeGo OS, nVidea Tegra chips, Samsung's looks, Apple's quantity of applications and Blackberry's Internet services etc would be cool. And please, oh please, put a disco light into the phones, or make the flash's colours interchangeable. :) And get rid of Android I'm using a Galaxy Tab 10.1v and Honeycomb is a mess, errors, app support etc. I want a phone with an i7 built in, maybe something like the nokia N9 and N950... PS: Had 4 N8s and all of them ruled, was just a little bit low-spec-ed...

Oh and something that could choke a thief would be nice too :mrgreen:
AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ 4.0GHz // 4Gb Apacer DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz // Gigabyte MA78LMT-S2 // 2Tb Samsung Sata2 // LG E2240 22 inch @ 1080p HD // Asus EAH 5450 1Gb (HD6850 Soon...) // ASUS Full Perspex Chassis
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

GDI_Lord wrote:We have the feature to accept calls only from pre-authorised numbers, often called an "allowed list." Now how about a "denied list" that accepts calls and SMSs from all numbers EXCEPT those on the deny list. I and several people I know would have *LOVED* this feature!

There are some apps on Android (and presumably iOS as well) that already allow you to do this. ;)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.