Green Webcam - something not right

Any hardware related topics go here.
Screeper

Green Webcam - something not right

Post by Screeper »

Hi everyone,

Some advice is needed please.
Installed a new webcam on my ma's pc on Wednesday. Everything installed well with no issues. Skype picked up the cam and it worked fine.
Then this morning my ma started up Skype and the image from the webcam was inverted and green.
I cannot work out why this has happened and I can't find a way to get it to work properly again.
A google reveals that there are others who have experienced this misfortune across a variety of different webcam brands. However, no one seems to have been able to solve it except by buying a new webcam.

I have done the following so far:
Unistalled/Reinstall cam and related software
Checked for latest driver (already had it)
Check for latest graphics driver (already had it)
Switched USB ports
Checked through the Windows updates to see if anything installed overnight (nothing since the 26th Oct)
Tried a generic driver
Checked the webcam settings to make sure nothing weird had got ticked by accident
Device manager reports that it is happy with webcam
Turned down hardware acceleration on the graphics card (was a suggestion on one site)

All my attempts have been a failure :(
It is strange because it worked for 2 days flawlessly and now suddenly it hits me with the green/inverted image.
Can't return the cam because it is over 4 weeks since purchase.

Am getting a bit desperate as I fly home on Sunday and I need to leave my ma with a working webcam.
If anyone has encountered this before please let me know how you solved it.

If anyone is interested here is the webcam
http://www.prestigio.com/products/Compu ... ams/PWC320
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Prime

Re: Green Webcam - something not right

Post by Prime »

Screeper wrote:Hi everyone,

Some advice is needed please.
Installed a new webcam on my ma's pc on Wednesday. Everything installed well with no issues. Skype picked up the cam and it worked fine.
Then this morning my ma started up Skype and the image from the webcam was inverted and green.
I cannot work out why this has happened and I can't find a way to get it to work properly again.
A google reveals that there are others who have experienced this misfortune across a variety of different webcam brands. However, no one seems to have been able to solve it except by buying a new webcam.

I have done the following so far:
Unistalled/Reinstall cam and related software
Checked for latest driver (already had it)
Check for latest graphics driver (already had it)
Switched USB ports
Checked through the Windows updates to see if anything installed overnight (nothing since the 26th Oct)
Tried a generic driver
Checked the webcam settings to make sure nothing weird had got ticked by accident
Device manager reports that it is happy with webcam
Turned down hardware acceleration on the graphics card (was a suggestion on one site)

All my attempts have been a failure :(
It is strange because it worked for 2 days flawlessly and now suddenly it hits me with the green/inverted image.
Can't return the cam because it is over 4 weeks since purchase.

Am getting a bit desperate as I fly home on Sunday and I need to leave my ma with a working webcam.
If anyone has encountered this before please let me know how you solved it.

If anyone is interested here is the webcam
http://www.prestigio.com/products/Compu ... ams/PWC320
Plug it into a different PC? Fault sounds electrical to me. Why can't you return it after 4 weeks?
UrBaN

Re: Green Webcam - something not right

Post by UrBaN »

If you turn the screen on its side and adjust the colour settings, you could probably get it to look like normal.

That failing, why not just test it in another PC to confirm that it is, indeed, faulty.
to ápeiro anima