All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Any hardware related topics go here.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:I had a good go with an 820 this weekend. All I can say is: wow! That is one SLICK interface! I really really like how things flow. iOS and Android feel like something made in the last century with their icon grids. MS just have to work on their app store and peripheral integration and I honestly think they will have the best mobile OS. No troll.
I agree, it's a slick interface but the lack of apps is a deal breaker for me.
This.

And the constant rebooting issue, which may be better now.

The irritating thing for me with Windows Phone 8 was that MS was supposed to push updates directly, like Apple does, but when the first major update hit, which was supposed to address aforementioned rebooting issue, US carriers got it first with the rest of the world having to wait six months.

It's DEFINITELY smoother than Android though. I'm still shocked at the lag I see in Android on devices as beefy as the Note 2 and S4.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Never mind the 820, a friend of mine got the 520 and wow... I couldn't believe it cost just R2k. Windows Phone 8 allows a great experience even if you're using budget hardware. That's awesome. (Nokia gets credit too)

I really hope it gets the apps.

@Ryan: Tsk. You're not one of us anymore.

:lol: Sorry to hear about your phone.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:
StarBound wrote:You have an ipad. Why not track your phone?
Have done so, it was off within 10 minutes of me noticing it was gone. I set it to erase when it connects to the net but so far it still hasn't been online.

iPhone 5S should be announced next month so I might just wait a bit...
Erm, so weird question here.

A friend who was in a coma for like 240 days died recently. He had a company iPhone (his first Apple device) and a personal MacBook (purchased after he enjoyed his iPhone).

So, anyway, there was some bad blood between the company and his wife over certain issues during his illness. Now that he's gone, she wants to use his MacBook. She doesn't know his Apple details, but the work, she says, will have a record of them. With the aforementioned bad blood, however, she wants nothing to do with the company. But she also doesn't want to use the MacBook if they can use his credentials to track it.

So, options? Does she have to suck it up and go talk to them so she can remove the MacBook from his account, or can she just format and will it then be removed?
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:So, options? Does she have to suck it up and go talk to them so she can remove the MacBook from his account, or can she just format and will it then be removed?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Yes, meaning they should remove his details from their system anyway. Don't know about formatting though.
And sorry to hear about your friend- my condolences.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:Yes, meaning they should remove his details from their system anyway. Don't know about formatting though.
I'm sure they will from their system, but I'm not sure they'll log into his Apple ID and remove all devices. Although I guess if they give the phone to another employee he'll create his own Apple ID, so it probably doesn't matter anyway.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hey man, sorry for late reply.

It all depends on whether he had "Find My Mac" enabled in the first place. Have her boot up the laptop with WiFi and all internet connections disabled and check under the iCloud settings in System Preferences, even without the password it should show if it's enabled or not.

If she completely wipes the laptop it will be fine though, it has to be enabled on the machine for it to sign in to the servers and report back to the app that would allow them to track it, so if it's not installed and active with that Apple ID it shouldn't work.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:Hey man, sorry for late reply.

It all depends on whether he had "Find My Mac" enabled in the first place. Have her boot up the laptop with WiFi and all internet connections disabled and check under the iCloud settings in System Preferences, even without the password it should show if it's enabled or not.

If she completely wipes the laptop it will be fine though, it has to be enabled on the machine for it to sign in to the servers and report back to the app that would allow them to track it, so if it's not installed and active with that Apple ID it shouldn't work.
I know he had the Find My Mac thing enabled, because he once left his MacBook at the church on a Sunday and called me Monday morning to tell me that it was there and he could see it using Find My Mac on his iPhone.

If wiping it works then she'll be okay, because she asked me if I would take her SSD out her Windows laptop, which she somehow drove over, and put it in the MacBook, so I would have to format completely.

Thanks.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I must say, I'm loving this S4. :oops:
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

ryanrich wrote:I must say, I'm loving this S4. :oops:
Woohoo!

Still plodding around with my Nokia E7.... :oops:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I give it two months. Tops.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:
Haha, yeah let's see how it's goes. I've always gone back to iOS on previous attemps, but so far so good. Android has gotten much, much better, and this hardware is crazy. Never thought I'd have a 1080p 5" screen in my hands, let alone one with 8 cores and 2GB of RAM. :-o
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Haha, yeah let's see how it's goes. I've always gone back to iOS on previous attemps, but so far so good. Android has gotten much, much better, and this hardware is crazy. Never thought I'd have a 1080p 5" screen in my hands, let alone one with 8 cores and 2GB of RAM. :-o
And yet it still lags when opening contacts ...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Mine doesn't seem to lag, where are your contacts stored?

I must say it's awesome to be able to install custom keyboards and such again. SwiftKey FTW!

Tried TouchWiz for a day before changing it. Was alright, but now running Apex launcher with Miui X5 icon pack and theme, much better.

Gonna make sure all is fine with the phone before saying cheers to the warranty and rooting, loading custom ROM's etc.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:Mine doesn't seem to lag, where are your contacts stored?
Erm . . .

Colleague has one. He syncs his contacts with his Gmail, and on a couple of occasions when he's asked me to do something it's lagged just hitting contacts. Not as laggy as the Note 2, but still occasionally there.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

I have an SII and my contacts are synced with FB and Gmail and I don't have lag and that's after 17 months of use and abuse and charging the battery like 1 - 3 times a day...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Mine is OK as long as I clean up Android regularly. Some applications get stuck on a white screen sometimes when I am opening them, but nothing bad enough to make me good back to my simple but nippy lil' old Nokia.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Hehe welcome back! :P

My S4 is in for warranty claim :/. The humidity sensor was stuck on reading 85-100% every time of the day :?. Its not a deal breaker and would have gladly lived with it but I have a nice warranty with it so I might as well use it ;). Stu I also have never noticed lag in contacts but I did notice that TouchWizz uses an insane amount of RAM with very little widgets loaded, in my case when using TouchWizz plus weather widget plus S Calendar of 2GB of RAM it had used 1.8GB. Installed Nova Launcher and the usage went right down to 1.4GB after reboot, granted I lost access to those 2 widgets but using HD Widgets & Google Calendar freed up more RAM so I take RAM over pretty. So if you can try a different launcher maybe that person has a bucket load of widgets doing silly things...

You know I have read quite a few reviews and I must say that new Moto X looks like a good phone to have. If I could get those customization options locally I would gladly give up some money for both the wife & I to have our own phones.

*edit*

Just read Ars review and changed my mind on the Moto X. Maybe when they release the high end version of the phone. Looks like I will be sticking to the S4 for awhile...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

So as Anak predicted phone is already rooted, lol.

Running Crash ROM, Adam kernel, blue theme, Sony Sketch font and Apex launcher. Still loving it!

Doesn't look so great in the screenshot but it's a cool folding origami live wallpaper.

Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Glad you are loving it - I still love mine. Only had to reboot once due to a freeze. My contacts don't lag and I have hundreds. Best phone I have ever had. Battery life is fantastic - only complains at 11pm and most times not at all.

USB tethering for 3G is awesome. Did it in the bush and had access to my little ships - and was able to save them from larger ships.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

The Register wrote:Delta Airlines makes mass Windows Phone 8, Lumia 820 buy

Whatever the number of flight attendants to whom Delta needs to deliver a Lumia each day, it's still an impressive sale for Microsoft and Nokia even if the 19,000 headline number is not realistic.
Sauce
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Just a heads up, I recently installed an app called "SleepBot". It killed my battery time. Avoid avoid avoid.
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

GreyWolf wrote:Just a heads up, I recently installed an app called "SleepBot". It killed my battery time. Avoid avoid avoid.
It would since it tracks your sleep pattern... I used to use SleepAsAndroid but I have since stopped using apps like that mainly because constant charging at night will kill the battery longevity in the end. Now I just use an alarm program that allows me to whitelist certain numbers that are allowed to wake me up and puts the wifi and mobile data off.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Anakha56 wrote:It would since it tracks your sleep pattern...
I would agree, but it should not be draining battery during day time periods when the app is off. The app was causing the mediaserver service to consume up to 60% of my battery. I would pick up my phone from sleep and it would be hot! Bad bad bad programming, avoid like the plague!
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Ah that does not sound right.

GW quick question are you rooted? If so take a look at a app called Greenify and while you are at it another app called Startup Manager both very good apps on getting more out of your battery. Oh and if you have gone that far something else to look at is the Xposed Framework some really cool stuff is coming from that side.