All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Any hardware related topics go here.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Re: All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Post by D3PART3D »

Anakha56 wrote:D3 the reason why I took off at you is because the majority of your posts in these threads is to sing praise on Apple and rant on Samsung. It adds nothing to the conversation except make things less attractive to talk about. If you vent do it constructively to at least start a conversation.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam. :P

Seriously though, point taken. I will try to do better.
Anakha56 wrote: Samsung is actually learning from the first design, have you not noticed the change in the design? It is a whole lot less bulky and now looks like something that could be worn. Plus you seem to have skipped over the part on what the new range of devices can do, does Sony have a heart sensor in their smart watch? AFAIK Samsung is the first to this one...
To be honest, I had such a negative view of Samsung Mobile (some of their other divisions are great, I love my Evo SSD and Samsung television) that I didn't bother taking a serious look at the new Gears. They actually look really good :shock:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:D3 the reason why I took off at you is because the majority of your posts in these threads is to sing praise on Apple and rant on Samsung.
Aw, c'mon, that's pretty standard operating procedure from both sides of the fence. Android fanbois take every opportunity they can to rail on Apple. Apple fanbois do likewise with Android. rustypup does the same with anything that anyone considers useful. D3 is just one of us.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I believe my question still goes unanswered. Can I upgrade my OS from 4.0 to 4.4? Or are android devices optimised for a single OS?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

StarBound wrote:I believe my question still goes unanswered. Can I upgrade my OS from 4.0 to 4.4? Or are android devices optimised for a single OS?
Check out the XDA forums, see if you can find the device there. They might have a custom ROM or two you can use.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:D3 the reason why I took off at you is because the majority of your posts in these threads is to sing praise on Apple and rant on Samsung.
Aw, c'mon, that's pretty standard operating procedure from both sides of the fence. Android fanbois take every opportunity they can to rail on Apple. Apple fanbois do likewise with Android. rustypup does the same with anything that anyone considers useful. D3 is just one of us.
Apple thread has not seen much action lately so I have to start somewhere ;). Oh and you forgot hamin :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Running 4.4.2 (WanamLite v4.0 ROM) on my GS4 and it's great so far, much faster and more fluid than 4.3.

Anak, did you experience poor battery performance and actual swelling of the battery on your GS4? Apparently a known issue on batteries with serial number starting with BD. Mine was so swollen when I took it in that the back cover was protruding a bit, and even the screen. Samsung changed it in 5 minutes under warranty though, so all good now.

I've also had one screen change under the ADH warranty due to me slamming it in a car door and cracking the thing. Was changed within an hour no questions asked, must say the Samsung service centre down here is very good.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Also running 4.4.2 and enjoyed the increase in battery life so much that the minor issues with the external sd card I can live with :P.

My boss & another person at work had swelling on their batteries for myself, however I have not had a single issue. I feel like I could do with a new battery so I am tempted to go get it swapped out :P.

I love Samungs ADH and I see HTC are using the same idea in the USA only and only for a year. For me, I have not had to use it yet, however I did get my S4 motherboard repaired under warranty :) and I will probably be doing so again, I have a lovely issue that is random and not frequently where the screen just starts showing lines after reboot and the phone gets extremely hot. I am waiting to see if with the new build if it still does it.

Now since D3 wanted innovation on a smartphone how about this guy:

http://recode.net/2014/02/26/next-gen-y ... y-on-back/
Next-Gen YotaPhone Adds Full-Touch E-Ink Display on Back

At CES 2013, a curious smartphone was introduced by an unknown Russian company called Yota Devices. But people took notice (including Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak) because its product, the YotaPhone, shook up traditional smartphone design by adding a second E-Ink display on the back. It went on sale in December, but the company is already prepping the release of its next-generation device.

Announced at Mobile World Congress, the new Android 4.4-based YotaPhone will be available by the end of the year, and brings a number of improvements to the dual-screen phone. It has a sleeker and curvier design, and now sports larger and higher-resolution screens. There’s a five-inch, 1,920 by 1,080-pixel touchscreen on front and a 4.7-inch, 960 by 540 pixel E-Ink display on back. More importantly, the latter is now touch sensitive.

Follow the link for further reading.

@hamin Glad to see you are moving up in the world WRT your phone. I still remember the old brick you had when you still lived in sunny SA :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Now to see how long it takes apple to "innovate" a rear e-ink display on their product and patent it. Then sue yota devices for infringement.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I am seriously thinking about getting a Motorola Photon Q on ebay and then custom rom'ing it to Kitkat. Can get one for R1450 about, delivered. This Nokia E7 is just getting too old and slow now.

Hardware is similar to Lumia 920 and S3, which is a major upgrade for me.

Not a bad price?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I got a 7" android tablet but I am having issues downloading the free stuff from the google play store. I get the following error: RPC:S-7 AEC-0

Anyone know how to fix this?
My Steam Screenshots

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

StarBound wrote:I got a 7" android tablet but I am having issues downloading the free stuff from the google play store. I get the following error: RPC:S-7 AEC-0

Anyone know how to fix this?
Tried any of these solutions?: https://productforums.google.com/d/topi ... UKJ7ZyIav0
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Think it just took google a while to activate my account for android purchases (free or paid) but what bothers me now is the emulators really suck. It's an MSI 1.5ghz duel core with 1gb ram and its failing at producing results similar to my once not so powerful celeron 466?
My Steam Screenshots