All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Any hardware related topics go here.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Post by Anakha56 »

Yeah... No way in hell will I want to read a tablet while I shower :?. And bathing is a waste of good time that could be spent gaming :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

Anakha56 wrote:
KatrynKat wrote:
KALSTER wrote:It only activates when the screen is off. Does it not work then either?
nope.

had the same problem with the S2 but surely it should work with the new phone...
Is it not in System Settings --> My Device --> LED Indicator?

*edit*

You don't have a notification LED:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobi ... ni-review/
Strangely, there is no notification LED on the Galaxy S4 mini which you might find an annoying omission.
yip... downloaded an app "Light Flow Lite" but it didn't help... :(
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

@KK you have two options that I know of you can try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tify&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ifications

I used to use NoLED with my S2 but gave it up due me fiddling with the phone all the time and the same applies with DynamicNotifications.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Strange that they would remove that feature
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

Anakha56 wrote:@KK you have two options that I know of you can try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tify&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ifications

I used to use NoLED with my S2 but gave it up due me fiddling with the phone all the time and the same applies with DynamicNotifications.
thanks!! will try and see if they work :)
Anakha56 wrote:Yeah... No way in hell will I want to read a tablet while I shower :?. And bathing is a waste of good time that could be spent gaming :P.
but you can do so much "more" while bathing and watching/reading things :P
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Got upgraded to 4.3 last night.

1 thing I like: before the upgrade, I could switch between English and Serbian by tapping a language switch button on the keyboard. The button is gone, and the phone automatically detects the language you are typing. Very smart Xperia Keyboard, very smart indeed. Me likey.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Was getting tired of the lags my Xperia S started suffering a while ago, so I flashed PA 4.0 beta 4.

Happiness! I'm loving kitkat. I flashed it on my Nexus 7 too, weeeeeeee.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Kitkat is awesome. (and the Nexus 5 is just amazing).
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

@Hman: PA 4.0?
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Thanks.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
Hman

Post by Hman »

Forgot to charge my phone last night, got to work this morning with 48% battery left wifi and bluetooth still on. Currently sitting on 31%.

I love it.

Also, strangely since upgrading my tab and phone to kitkat the phone no longer shows gmail notifications, even though it still shows messages if you open gmail. The tab gets all the gmail notifications.

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

SO, after update, HUGE battery life improvement.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Hman wrote: Also, strangely since upgrading my tab and phone to kitkat the phone no longer shows gmail notifications, even though it still shows messages if you open gmail. The tab gets all the gmail notifications.
Check your Gmail app settings and also check the app under the app manager in settings - it might have been accidentally disabled in one of those two places
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Hman

Post by Hman »

Honestly, not to bothered about it, prefer checking mail on the tab anyway

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Don't be so lazy, Hman.

So, the Galaxy S5. Sony and Apple had better step their game up and innovate harder, Samsung Mobile is running out of other people's ideas.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

So I got myself an MSI Enjoy 7" tablet just for the hell of it (emulators). The OS on it is Android 4.0. Can I update to 4.4 or is the OS set to whatever the manufacturer wants it to be?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

D3PART3D wrote: So, the Galaxy S5. Sony and Apple had better step their game up and innovate harder, Samsung Mobile is running out of other people's ideas.
Yep Apple has a wrist devices with AMOLED displays...

Yep Apple has a phone that can measure one's heart beat... *granted this is a gimmick feature but still Samsung is first to the market with it.

Yep Apple has a wrist device that can measure one's activity...

Oh wait no Apple has none of the above in fact no other smart phone manufacturer has any of the above. Instead of actually contributing to a discussion you decide to troll a discussion... At least when our expert troll does it he manages to make it into a discussion, you on the other hand just love slinging mud. :roll:

---

That aside the S5 is a update on the S4 like the S4 was a update on the S3. Yes it has some interesting features but one has to really weigh up if they are worth it or not. I for one can see myself using the Fit wristband for my exercises but since I have the S4 I don't need to get the S5, it will sync just fine.

For me the only truly innovative Android handset is one we still cannot get locally, the Motorola X.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Anakha56 wrote: That aside the S5 is a update on the S4 like the S4 was a update on the S3. Yes it has some interesting features but one has to really weigh up if they are worth it or not. I for one can see myself using the Fit wristband for my exercises but since I have the S4 I don't need to get the S5, it will sync just fine..
As you have just discovered, there really isn't much to discuss. I just wanted to vent. I had actually resolved against making the internet unpleasant for others, but all I needed was 2 minutes, and whoops!
Anakha56 wrote: Yep Apple has a wrist devices with AMOLED displays...
Oh come on, Samsung isn't interested in making a real smart watch. It was a knee jerk reaction to industry rumors. It's just part of their marketing strategy. A marketing decision way before it was a product decision. If these devices are still around in 5 years it will be because Samsung learned from someone else how to do it right. (Hint: the M7 is part of a long term plan)
Anakha56 wrote: For me the only truly innovative Android handset is one we still cannot get locally, the Motorola X.
Agreed. (You can get it through Orange, though.)

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Hman

Post by Hman »

Um, Sony has a "smart watch" too

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Yes, but not with an AMOLED display. That's supposedly the innovative part.

- Elon Musk
Hman

Post by Hman »

meh

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

D3 the reason why I took off at you is because the majority of your posts in these threads is to sing praise on Apple and rant on Samsung. It adds nothing to the conversation except make things less attractive to talk about. If you vent do it constructively to at least start a conversation.

Actually AMOLED display is pretty good for a display, it does far better than what Sony does on their devices. A true smart watch display however is probably not going to be AMOLED and I bet you Apple will be the first to the market with a proper display. I never did say it was innovative I just pointed out that Apple has nothing in the market while Samsung does and the fact that they did do it is kinda innovative given how tricky AMOLED is. But hey Apple innovated the notification screen from Android... :roll:

Samsung is actually learning from the first design, have you not noticed the change in the design? It is a whole lot less bulky and now looks like something that could be worn. Plus you seem to have skipped over the part on what the new range of devices can do, does Sony have a heart sensor in their smart watch? AFAIK Samsung is the first to this one...

I know it seems like I am pro Samsung but in reality I am not. I just really get annoyed when people say Samsung copies and does not innovate. All companies copy from each other and all companies will have their moment of brilliance. Sony does amazing things with their cameras for Android devices. Motorola with low cost hardware and constant, quick Android updates. Samsung with gadget spam <_< but in reality they are looking at bringing a whole bunch of sensors to the people to help in your life with a stunning display. HTC seems to focus premium build only. Apple relies on their build & display. BlackBerry is security. They all have their pros & cons...

Orange.co.za don't bring in the Moto X but rather the G or the Razer HD... :cry:

*edit*

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/02/ ... -software/
Hands on with all three Samsung Gears: New hardware doesn’t fix software
Better software would have helped the most, but the software hasn't changed much.

BARCELONA, SPAIN—While the Galaxy S5 was easily the most important thing announced at Samsung's Mobile World Congress press event, the company also showed off three new smart watches. Samsung demoed the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo, and the Gear Fit. The "Galaxy" branding is gone because the watches no longer run Android—they've switched to Samsung's Tizen OS.

Basically the long & short of it is that the hardware could do with a few tweaks here and there while the software could do with a major overhaul. But even Ars seem to think that the new Fit bracelet/watch is more next gen than the other two:
The third smartwatch on display was the Samsung Gear Fit. This seems a little closer to a next-gen piece of hardware, with a curved AMOLED display.
*edit 2*

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/25/54454 ... -look-like
The Gear Fit is what wearables should look like
Samsung steals its own limelight with a smartly designed fitness band

The original Galaxy Gear was always a beta device. Samsung’s first smartwatch was testing waters the company had never waded in before, and it took a lot of well-earned criticism for its shortcomings. Less than six months later, however, Samsung returns to the fray with a new smart wearable that provokes a drastically different reaction: desire. Where the original was bulky and uncomfortable, the Gear Fit is slender and form-fitting. The Gear was rich on features but lacked a clear purpose — a problem arguably shared by the Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo. The Fit, on the other hand, is clear-eyed in purpose and minimal in design.

Follow the link for further reading.
Last edited by Anakha56 on 26 Feb 2014, 03:12, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link to article...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

This thread gave me cancer...

Can I vent too?
I am getting an iPhone 5S from work in the next few days and a general malaise has settled over me after getting this news.

It was actually my choice to get this phone as the only other option we have is a Blackberry and I said no to that for the same reason I don't buy all my home movies on HD DVD

We don't support Andriod at work because there are so many damn versions who can keep up and who would want to anyway, its a phone OS FFS!

So I've never actually used an iPhone for longer than 5 minutes but I am convinced its going to be crap and I'm going to hate it because Steve Jobs
Hman

Post by Hman »

So much feels