All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Any hardware related topics go here.
Prime

All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Post by Prime »

Right, so my contract comes up for renewal in under a month and I'd like to be done with Nokia for good.

I have looked at the blackberry phones but they do not seem to be touch screen based :?
I am also looking at the HTC's and the Touch Pro looks really good.
Also Looked at the Sony Xperia X1 but it suffers from interface problems and some other glitches according to a review I read :?
Any Comments in the Samsung Field.

Basically, I intend to go onto an MTN anytime 200 topup package.
I want to keep my contract under R369 PM, closer to R330 PM would be better.

I would prefer a WM phone. I don't want Android, its too new and I'd prefer to avoid Linux :| The exception would be a Palm Pre but I don't think that's available here :(

I do alot of web browsing, posting and emailing and chatting from my phone because I am at varsity most of Monday to Friday. I SMS and IM alot more than I call Weather information would be good, as would Syncing with outlook. And It needs a very good calender. Decent Camera would also be a bonus. Would Prefer a phone with a Stylus and Touch screen. I'm not sure If I'll make use of a full qwerty Keyboard or not, though I would like the option.

Phone needs to last as long as possible, I want to keep on using it beyond the 2 year contract if possible.

The Battery life of the Touch Pro is very good. Comments?

Comments or Suggestions please?

I refuse to touch a Nokia.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Which SmartPhone?

Post by KALSTER »

When my contract comes up for renew I might consider a Samsung Jet, but I have to say, I like the Nokia N97. :wink: Had an E90 untill it was stolen. I don't want to move away from a querty keyboard (faster typing than the fastest MXIT zombie), but that 800mhz processor of the Samsung has got me drooling.

Edit: Sorry, they're not smartphones. :oops:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

HTC Dream/Magic just for the google OS. You will love it. Obviously pick the one you prefer to use.
My boss has the Magic and won't go back to win mobile. Certainly the Win Mobile has issues and needs updating.

I have a client who bought a N97 new and got rid of it 3 months later. Symbian OS is dead
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Prime

Post by Prime »

KALSTER wrote:When my contract comes up for renew I might consider a Samsung Jet, but I have to say, I like the Nokia N97. :wink: Had an E90 untill it was stolen. I don't want to move away from a querty keyboard (faster typing than the fastest MXIT zombie), but that 800mhz processor of the Samsung has got me drooling.

The only way I will touch another nokia is with a Hammer :twisted:

I heard of the Jet, but I have no info beyond processing speed. :?
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

KALSTER wrote:When my contract comes up for renew I might consider a Samsung Jet, but I have to say, I like the Nokia N97. :wink: Had an E90 untill it was stolen. I don't want to move away from a querty keyboard (faster typing than the fastest MXIT zombie), but that 800mhz processor of the Samsung has got me drooling.

All Symbian (and subsequently all Nokia N and E series) are smartphones, even if they may lack the functionality of other phones.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

All Symbian (and subsequently all Nokia N and E series) are smartphones, even if they may lack the functionality of other phones.
Oh yeah. I miss my E90.
I heard of the Jet, but I have no info beyond processing speed.
I did include a link to a GSM Arena review.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Prime

Post by Prime »

DarkStar wrote:

They come with the functionality of a brick though. Intended for putting in a hole and filling with concrete. :|
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I still would recommend Nokia, but I know you don't like them. Maybe get a blackberry (touch is overrated)

Darkstar, what functionality do Nokia smart phones lack?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Prime

Post by Prime »

KALSTER wrote:
Oh yeah. I miss my E90.
I heard of the Jet, but I have no info beyond processing speed.
I did include a link to a GSM Arena review.
Oh I see :oops:
Frozenfireside wrote:HTC Dream/Magic just for the google OS. You will love it. Obviously pick the one you prefer to use.
My boss has the Magic and won't go back to win mobile. Certainly the Win Mobile has issues and needs updating.

I have a client who bought a N97 new and got rid of it 3 months later. Symbian OS is dead
Don't want any android based phone. Android is too new.

Oh and Another thing, It needs to be able to Run MXIT.
edit: or something equivalent that I can use to talk to people on MXIT
Last edited by Prime on 21 Sep 2009, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

You know, I'll give you that. I got used to the E90, but was disappointed by the poor office functionality, no GPS voucher, inability to play DivX or flash or....etc. I can't imagine the N97 will be any better. I will read the other responses with interest.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Monty wrote:I still would recommend Nokia, but I know you don't like them. Maybe get a blackberry (touch is overrated)

Darkstar, what functionality do Nokia smart phones lack?
What sort of office functionality do the blsckberry's offer? I know they come with an internet subscription but i'm not sure it will be much benefit over say, a data bundle
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

KALSTER wrote:You know, I'll give you that. I got used to the E90, but was disappointed by the poor office functionality, no GPS voucher, inability to play DivX or flash or....etc. I can't imagine the N97 will be any better. I will read the other responses with interest.
Most of this has been fixed with symbian 5th edition. And the GPS voucher is easily fixable. There are decent freeware programs out there.

Most of the windows mobile phones come with garmin, which is nice. But the garmin maps become outdated quickly and you pay a small fortune to get the newest ones.

Nokia maps is nice as you can use them with out paying. (I admit the navigation licenses are rather steeply priced, but that is were the freeware navigation apps come in)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I think it's absolute SUICIDE to buy a WinMo device now. Seriously. WinMo is a DISGUSTING excuse for a phone OS. Even WinMo 6.5 sucks. I wanted a WinMo phone so badly, and now that I have one, I'd rather use a R200 Motorolla than my R6K HTC.

Seriously Prime, you don't want WinMo. Get yourself something else. You can even get an iPhone for that money, dude.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I think it's absolute SUICIDE to buy a WinMo device now. Seriously. WinMo is a DISGUSTING excuse for a phone OS. Even WinMo 6.5 sucks. I wanted a WinMo phone so badly, and now that I have one, I'd rather use a R200 Motorolla than my R6K HTC.

Seriously Prime, you don't want WinMo. Get yourself something else. You can even get an iPhone for that money, dude.
erm, chill dude! don't get so worked up! :?

Why do you say its a digusting excuse for a phone OS? I have several friends with Winmo phones and none of them are complaining. :scratch:

And where the hell am I going to get an Iphone for R300 a month? :| :roll: not that i want one

I believe you also bought a touch diamond, and there was a problem with touch flow when it was released. that has since been rectified. :?: :!:
Last edited by Prime on 21 Sep 2009, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Monty wrote:
KALSTER wrote:You know, I'll give you that. I got used to the E90, but was disappointed by the poor office functionality, no GPS voucher, inability to play DivX or flash or....etc. I can't imagine the N97 will be any better. I will read the other responses with interest.
Most of this has been fixed with symbian 5th edition. And the GPS voucher is easily fixable. There are decent freeware programs out there.

Most of the windows mobile phones come with garmin, which is nice. But the garmin maps become outdated quickly and you pay a small fortune to get the newest ones.

Nokia maps is nice as you can use them with out paying. (I admit the navigation licenses are rather steeply priced, but that is were the freeware navigation apps come in)
HTC comes with leaf locate and I believe Tom Tom navigation (?)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Prime wrote:erm, chill dude! don't get so worked up! :?
I'm totally relaxed :) I'm just trying to emphasize how bad WinMo is :P

Prime wrote:Why do you say its a digusting excuse for a phone OS? I have several friends with Winmo phones and none of them are complaining. :scratch:
It's horrible dude. It's not finger friendly at ALL. It's also slow, buggy, and tends to have problems. I've done as much as I can to get around all of this, and I've had to flash my phone to a different ROM to get it running the way it runs now, which is pretty much the best it'll ever be able to, and even at THIS state, it sucks.

Prime wrote:And where the hell am I going to get an Iphone for R300 a month? :| :roll: not that i want one
You can get an iPhone for R185 a month with NO pay in. That's on Vodacom though.

Prime wrote:I believe you also bought a touch diamond, and there was a....
Nope, I don't have a Diamond.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

DJV as you know I have a Touch Diamond and I am not having any problems with it. A guy at my work has the same phone and is happy as well. I think its just a different strokes for different folks scenario. Prime I would really recommended trying as many different touch screens phones as possible mainly because each manufacture has a different approach to the way they work. And if I were you I would wait until WinMo 6.5 gets released:

http://www.gsmarena.com/43inch_snapdrag ... s-1124.php
It seems that HTC have been keeping themselves busy with the 1GHz Snapdragon platform and some leaked shots have just revealed the HTC Leo (or should we say HTC Pro Three), which runs on the 1GHz CPU and boasts a 4.3-inch WVGA touchscreen for some good measure.
But as said try as many devices as possible before you buy. My next phone is definitely going to be a Touch Screen phone again...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

It seems that HTC have been keeping themselves busy with the 1GHz Snapdragon platform and some leaked shots have just revealed the HTC Leo (or should we say HTC Pro Three), which runs on the 1GHz CPU and boasts a 4.3-inch WVGA touchscreen for some good measure.
:shock: Sweet!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Its a multi capacitative Touch screen as well ;)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

How easy is it to type on those on-screen querty keyboards? Will I get used to it, or will I suffer from perpetual fat-fingeredness?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Thats why I say try before you buy ;). I have gotten used to it and am quite fast at typing and enjoy it far more than a standard keypad. Each to their own :).
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Anakha56 wrote:Thats why I say try before you buy ;). I have gotten used to it and am quite fast at typing and enjoy it far more than a standard keypad. Each to their own :).
Cool. As long as it comes close to a physical Smartphone querty keyboard (haven't seen better than on my old 9300), I will aim straight for that new HTC. :)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I have the Blackberry Bold - loving it. Got used to the no touch screen. The menu system is easy and quick.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

i used the new touch and diamond and froze up the Windows Mobile OS in 10 minutes. The HTC Hero is coming out soon. Second generation android phone. Android OS is excellent. We are impressed with it in the office. Full exchange support and the amount of apps available is great.

Why are you afraid of the Android OS? yes its new but its much faster and more reliable than Windows Mobile by far.

And android can run java apps so that includes Mxit.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
MadFrog

Post by MadFrog »

KillerByte wrote:And android can run java apps so that includes Mxit.
NICE! Just a shame I don't care much for mxit. :)