MYSQL or MSQL with C#?

Get help on databases - MySQL, Oracle, Access, etc.
Craig944

MYSQL or MSQL with C#?

Post by Craig944 »

I want to learn a database language best suitable with C# I have been considering either MYSQL or MSQL any suggestions? any help would be much appreciated
RuadRauFlessa

Re: MYSQL or MSQL with C#?

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Neither one of the two... I'd go vor MSSQL..
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

MySQL works great with C# for simple databases.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Craig944 wrote:I want to learn a database language best suitable with C# I have been considering either MYSQL or MSQL any suggestions? any help would be much appreciated
That's kind of like asking "should I get Coke, Coke Light or Coke Zero with my order of Steers?". From a programming perspective, they're pretty much similar; the differences are generally more important to sysadmins and dbadmins than developers. ;)

Having said that, C# and MSSQL play very nicely with each other, and I believe that the Express edition of MSSQL is free. It has severe limitations on it that make it unsuitable for production purposes, but for learning purposes it's fine.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Ron2K wrote: That's kind of like asking "should I get Coke, Coke Light or Coke Zero with my order of Steers?". From a programming perspective, they're pretty much similar; the differences are generally more important to sysadmins and dbadmins than developers. ;)
Yeah, pretty much. The MSSQL Express Edition has a nice user-friendly GUI to help do things like drop/create databases, tables and the like. And I'll take a can of Tab thanks. 8)
Ron2K wrote: Having said that, C# and MSSQL play very nicely with each other, and I believe that the Express edition of MSSQL is free. ... for learning purposes it's fine.
In general, .NET and MSSQL "just work" as all the defaults are for MSSQL. That said, it's really, really, really easy to change to access another type database like MySLQ.

+1 about the learning, see above for why,
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Ditto the general consensus so far
C# is a MS language so why not learn MSSQL and keep it all in the family - it's a no-brainer
MSSQL has cool features like CLR and other application integration (get visual studio!) that makes for some potent abilities.
Of course you get none of this with the free version, but it's a great place to start learning the basics.
SQL being so standardised means that after learning T-SQL you'll be able to pick up another flavour fairly easily. Altho if you are used to the ease-of-use of Microsoft's offerings you will find MySQL to be uninspiring as a DBMS and to call it's DB engine primitive is being charitable.

And now that Oracle owns MySQL expect it go downhill fast as they encourage it's user base to switch to Oracle, or pay a truly exorbitant price for "MySQL Enterprise"... those two words are mutually exclusive in my book :lol: