no more access

Get help on databases - MySQL, Oracle, Access, etc.
Mclaren

no more access

Post by Mclaren »

so, i want to go from using MS Access to using a custom front end and an SQL back end in an effort to prevent users having access to my VB code, and to prevent "Users in the know" from accessing tables directly. I believe SQL is better on the security side at preventing users from accessing tables directly. so my questions is, What is the easiest langauge to learn that will allow me to compile some form of front end and allow me to compile with little worry of someone being able to gain acces to or reverse engineer. I am pretty good at the MS Access VB stuff (All self taught with the help of 1 book and plenty websites) so i am not entirely new to coding. I just need something secure and easy to code in.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: no more access

Post by Tribble »

Why don't you want to use Access as your front end? That is what I do and it is really simple to manage.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Tribble wrote:Why don't you want to use Access as your front end? That is what I do and it is really simple to manage.
This is a trick question, right?
Mclaren wrote:so, i want to go from using MS Access to using a custom front end
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

But you can customise Access so that people are no longer aware that they are using Access. You can remove and change the menus etc. He already knows Access - so I want to know what problems he has with using it?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Oh ... right ... like I said ... trick question.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Mclaren wrote:I am pretty good at the MS Access VB stuff (All self taught with the help of 1 book and plenty websites) so i am not entirely new to coding. I just need something secure and easy to code in.
when it comes to RAD, you could do worse than java or, if you're comfortable with VB, .NET...

both have hordes of free tools available..

java+jtds will run on pretty much any platform you dump it on, with the typical JRE weighing in at around 10MB...

the C#/.VB.net approach to GUI development has always struck me as a little backward, never mind the delegate event model... and the current framework is yours for the measly download of +- 200MB :lol:

both are really easy to get up and running over ODBC/bridge or even a direct connection...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

i like Access 2007, i really do, however since it no longer has built in security, anyone who nows what they are doing and whom are running a full version ms access can gain access to the back end.

now there are things i can do to make it difficult to get to the tables, but it means making the db very complicated. and running every form of a query etc. This is not ideal.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

That sounds very strange. You can have SQL control who has access to the database and that controls MS Access.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

i have not started to dabble with SQL as yet, so if what you are saying is true then that is fine. i just cannot have the back end in Access as it is unsecure.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Tribble wrote:That sounds very strange. You can have SQL control who has access to the database and that controls MS Access.
Hence you will need an installation of SQL Server in any case. Which means that you can just as well use SQL Server and get it over with. Despite the fact that SQL Server is 10x faster than MS Access there are tons of stuff you can do with it which you can't with MS Access.
Mclaren wrote:so, i want to go from using MS Access to using a custom front end and an SQL back end in an effort to prevent users having access to my VB code, and to prevent "Users in the know" from accessing tables directly. I believe SQL is better on the security side at preventing users from accessing tables directly. so my questions is, What is the easiest langauge to learn that will allow me to compile some form of front end and allow me to compile with little worry of someone being able to gain acces to or reverse engineer. I am pretty good at the MS Access VB stuff (All self taught with the help of 1 book and plenty websites) so i am not entirely new to coding. I just need something secure and easy to code in.

The easiest you will get at the moment is VB.Net as you should already know it from your scripting. Well to a certain degree in any case. I would however advise you to go C# since I like it more than VB and IMHO VB is a scripting toy. Much like ppl that think JavaScript is actually Java :lol:
So where to start. Get a copy of Visual Studio, which you probably already have, and create an application to interface with a SQL db of your own design. It really isn't that hard as Visual Studio does most of the DB stuff for you. I still prefer handling the database on my own terms and not using the Visual Studio's templates as they tend to be bulky. I managed to bring down the exe size of a C# app by about 6mb. Jip 6mb by writing my own classes for handling the db connections and tables rather than leaning on DataTables.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Tribble wrote:That sounds very strange. You can have SQL control who has access to the database and that controls MS Access.
Oh and who was it that had bunches of incompatibility issues with this approach. Hmm think it was either you or Jee. Must have been Jee though. Cant quite remember. :roll:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

w=in varsity we did a project with an access db and a delphi front end.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Oh and have a read

http://www.quackit.com/microsoft_access ... server.cfm

http://www.mssqlcity.com/Articles/Compa ... access.htm

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/ms-access- ... erver.html

Point of the story. If you are going to have multiple users connect to the db at the same time DO NOT USE ACCESS. It is a Fail in that department of a serious note. Also it has bunches of other limitations.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

GreyWolf wrote:w=in varsity we did a project with an access db and a delphi front end.
Possible but not my first choice. Even the dev version of SQL Server, which by the way is FREE for internal use, is better than Access
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:w=in varsity we did a project with an access db and a delphi front end.
Possible but not my first choice. Even the dev version of SQL Server, which by the way is FREE for internal use, is better than Access
true dat, but what about delphi as a front end development tool? I must admit this was almost 7 years ago, and am curious as to weather delphi is still in use?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

GreyWolf wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:
true dat, but what about delphi as a front end development tool? I must admit this was almost 7 years ago, and am curious as to weather delphi is still in use?
Jip Delphi is still in use but C#,VB and Java are much easier to learn and pick up. Especially if he has done VB in any form. Delphi will just confuse. I have a couple of Delphi services running in our office at the moment. Actually ported one of them the other day as I got better performance from a C# service than from Delphi though.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Delphi will just confuse.
:lol: delphi's threading model, (semaphores? :? ), is just flaky and, if my memory serves me well, you actually have to grab a separate connection pool module in order to re-use connections... <shudders>
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

rustypup wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Delphi will just confuse.
:lol: delphi's threading model, (semaphores? :? ), is just flaky and, if my memory serves me well, you actually have to grab a separate connection pool module in order to re-use connections... <shudders>
Yeah that was one of the problems :lol:
The app I had to redo is a clock for calculating Service Level Agreements on calls in real-time. Not an easy thing as it needs to be blisteringly fast. Thing ran in Delphi for about 20-30s seconds on our current db where the exact architecture ported to C# churned it out in under 0.6 sec :lol: Now that is what I call a significant difference.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

Sorry for my absolute naivity, but, If i decide to go the C# way, what do i need to do to get started. and will i have to buy any software or is it all generally freely available ?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Mclaren wrote:Sorry for my absolute naivity, but, If i decide to go the C# way, what do i need to do to get started. and will i have to buy any software or is it all generally freely available ?
Depends. I know there is a free version of Visual Studio (Express) but I haven't read the EULA yet. I have a MSDN subscription so I don't bother with it. Also as far as I know the templates for the DataTables and such isn't included in the Express edition of VS. I would recommend not using the auto generated db classes in any case. They are bulky. If you need some db stuff in C# to get you started PM me and I will help you out with some easy to understand code.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

IDE: SharpDevelop - free, gratis..
.NET: 190+MB - also for free...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

rustypup wrote:IDE: SharpDevelop - free, gratis..
.NET: 190+MB - also for free...
Hmm I haven't checked that one out yet. Worth a look though.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

GreyWolf, my hubby programs all his stuff in Delphi. Programs used by most of the large radio stations and they are all happy.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Tribble wrote:GreyWolf, my hubby programs all his stuff in Delphi. Programs used by most of the large radio stations and they are all happy.
:wink:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

yeah... delphi... now with added unicode - not that it took them all that long to achieve... you know... a few years or so, at the outside... :lol: